Tivo Says E-Trade Commercial Was Most Watched Super Bowl Spot

Tivo has announced that E-Trade’s talking, trading, barfing baby was the most watched ad by Tivo subscribers during the Super Bowl, followed by the Pepsi spot where Justin Timberlake got hit in the crotch, followed by the Doritos ad where a giant mouse wailed on a man eating chips. Tivo “sampled 10,000 households using anonymous, second-by-second audience measurement data” to come up with the rankings.

Nielsen disagrees and lists an entirely different set of winners—”Budweiser’s horse/Dalmatian spot, Coke’s parade balloons, Diet Pepsi’s Max, FedEx’s pigeons and Pepsi’s Timberlake.” Their data, however, comes from “200 people who were polled online,” so it sounds like typical Nielsen nonsense.

“TiVo: E-Trade Won Super Bowl” [BrandWeek]

RELATED
“How About Those Super Bowl Ads!”

Comments

1. legotech says:

I vote for the dalmatian and then the baby.

2. Frostberg says:

I didnt think the super bowl commercials were that good in general. I thought this one was not funny and stupid.

3. MercuryPDX says:

I could pick a more appropo third place (Audi Godfather spoof) but the first two are spot on.

4. fizzyg says:

I’m not a fan of commercials where they make babies or pets talk.

5. chiieddy says:

I thought the e-Trade with the baby and the clown was the best one. Especially the point there the talking baby underestimated the creepiness factor of the clown.

e-Trade also underestimated (or perhaps not) the creepiness of talking babies. :-)

6. Custom Reality says:

I love the “sampled 10,000 households using anonymous, second-by-second audience measurement data” bit.

Your Tivo is spying on you. =D

7. karmaghost says:

The baby and the clown was great. The Pepsi/Timberlake one was great too. Loved Andy Samberg wearing the wig and looking creepy, plus it was a cool nod to “Dick in a Box.” Kinda.

The Dalmatian ad wasn’t really all that cute or great, I thought.

8. KashmirKong says:

Wow. That’s creepy. I wonder how much different data they collect from Tivo users at any given time.

9. HaloZero says:

The baby/clown one was funny, Dalmation one sucked, the Coke one was amusing.

Seriously though, baby vomit != funny.
    Proof: Baby vomit < regular vomit != funny.

Law of syllogism damn’t! (Ok I know my math is wrong there….)

10. uricmu says:

I wonder if that baby got offered a subprime mortgage.

11. @Custom Reality: I think that was the creepiest thing about this article. I understand if they knew what program. But commercial? Talk aboout knowing if advertising works……

12. karry says:

I think the mouse ‘whaled’ on the man. Isn’t ‘wailing’ vocal only?

13. failurate says:

So Tivo knows how many times I have rewinded and slow-mo’ed over cleavage shots on What Not to Wear?!?

14. theblackdog says:

Parade balloons was great, but I couldn’t stop watching Richard Simmons nearly becoming a hood ornament on YouTube yesterday.

15. ancientsociety says:

Parade balloons was good and the Timberlake commercial was funny, mostly because of his reaction to the girl and then getting hit in the head with a flat screen. And, I’m sorry to say this, I loved the Night @ The Roxbury Pepsi commercial.

16. char says:

Giant balloons chasing after giant baloon coke bottle was the best add, this is a fact ;). I mean, Charlie Brown finally won, how could that be bad?

17. EJXD2 says:

The talking baby motif is the most cliche of all commercial cliches.

The fact that talking babies can sell anything is disturbing, but it clearly works, so I can’t blame the advertising agencies for going with it, but it’s hardly creative anymore.

18. pibbsman0 says:

Eh, I didn’t find many of the commercials that good. Nothing beats the commercials from around 10 years ago, my favorite being the Outpost.com commercial shooting small furry animals through the O, missing repeatedly. Ah, nothing like animal cruelty to get me roaring.

19. JMH says:

“Tivo says that for the fifth year in a row (since the company started tracking viewership data, in fact) the commercials were more watched than the game, with the most popular ads enjoying a 5 to 30% larger audience because they’re re-watched repeatedly.”

The same people re-watching something doesn’t constitute a “larger audience.”

20. Narockstar says:

I HATE this E-Trade campaign. Hi, I’m a total douchebag, watch me buy stocks in the middle of the night. Aren’t I clever? Even my baby is a total a**hole.

I just want to punch them all in the face. Even the talking baby. Why does E-Trade want me to punch a baby?

21. theblackdog says:

@ancientsociety: I just liked watching Chris Katan freak scream at the end.

Poor guy, he so needs a career.

22. forever_knight says:

Nielson: 200 people online
    vs

Tivo: 10,000 sampled

Nielson is a joke.

23. m4ximusprim3 says:

Yeah, i liked the roxbury one. Good punchline. And chris Katan got everything his talent earned him, in my view :)

I actually kinda liked the baby ones, against my better judgement.

24. FredTheGreat says:

@failurate: I don’t know what is more disturbing here, the fact that Tivo knows how many times you’ve rewinded to see sweater puppies, or that you are watching What Not to Wear. I hope what you meant say was ” They know how many times I have FAST FORWARD through to the cleavage shots on what not to wear.” I got your back man.

25. DamThatRiver says:

None of the ads matched up to the awesomeness that was the Emerald Nuts ad last year. Naomi Campbell with dancing lizards? BORING!

I wonder if they would have made a new ad with Robert Goulet this year if he hadn’t passed away. :(

26. UpsetPanda says:

I thought the Pepsi “Night at the Roxbury” commercial was fantastic. I also really liked the Bridgestone commercial with the screaming animals and later with Richard Simmons. I thought they were very clever.

27. Ew, yuck, I hated that ad, and actually left the room (hey, more beer!) when it aired the second time. I liked Fed-Ex’s carrier pigeon ad, that was funny.