Domino's Monday-Wednesday Coupons "Aren't Valid On Tuesday"

The following transcript of a conversation between Domino’s and reader Nelson arrived in our inbox with the subject “Domino’s is Dumb”:

Me: “Hi, I have a coupon. It’s the $7.99 Monday-Wednesday Special.”
Domino’s: “Yeah, that’s only valid on Monday or Wednesday. Today’s Tuesday.”
M: “The coupon suggests it’s Monday through Wednesday.”
D: “Nope. It says ‘Monday (slash) Wednesday’.”
M: “No, it doesn’t. I’d agree with you if that were the case, but it says ‘Monday (dash) Wednesday’, which would suggest it’s valid Monday through Wednesday.”
D: “Sorry, it’s Monday or Wednesday.”
M: “Fine, whatever. I guess I’ll get the $10.99 pizza and breadstick combo.”
D: “That’s $11.99.”
M: “Nope, it’s $10.99, I’m looking at the flier right now.”
D: “That’s an old flier.”
M: “No, it’s not. I just got it today.”

D: “No, it’s an old flier.”
M: “I pulled it out of my mailbox 15 minutes ago. How is it old?”
D: “We recently changed the price.”
M: “OK, I’m looking at the flier. On the border of the flier, it has a date on it. 11/18/07. That was two days ago.”
D: “We must’ve changed the price since then.”
M: “So, the flier was printed on Sunday. There’s no mail on Sunday, so the flier wasn’t mailed until yesterday. And now you’ve changed the price. Does that make any sense to you.”
D: “Hey, we’ve gotta change the price sometime.”
M: “I . . . Can I ask you something? Do you guys want to sell pizza?”
D: “Huh?”
M: “Do you want to sell pizza? Simple question.”
D: “Huh?”
(click)

Sigh.

(Photo:Ben Popken)

Comments

1. xl22k says:

Haha … I don’t think my response to that would be anything else than to just sigh and throw my hands up.

…maybe I would have called Shananigans…

2. angryrider says:

Hey, I know that Dominos, it’s right next to the Projects. You know Government housing, where all utilities are free, heat in the winter, and hot water anytime you want. Infinitely better than Dermot.

Ah yes, hilarious phone call. snarky minimum wage $@$#.

3. Falconfire says:

Blech why i gods name would you go to DOMINOS for a good pizza anyway.

I have gotten so fed up with pizza places that I have taken it upon myself to start making pizza. For less than a price of a large (bout 7-8 bucks) I can make enough dough for 6 personal pan pizzas and freeze the number of pizzas i dont need. Shape the dough toss it in a preheated 550 degree oven on a pizza stone and in 10 minutes beautiful pizza with a crust just as good as your local joint.

Heck I have even gotten into the habit of splitting my flour between half whole wheat and half all purpose and it tastes fantastic.

4. Televiper says:

@Falconfire:
    Most people order Pizza as a meal that doesn’t involve any work.

5. PinkBox says:

I’d never pay $10 for a Domino’s Pizza. They are beyond nasty.

Even a $5 Little Caesar’s is better, and that’s not saying much.

The small local places are always the best.

6. Jon Mason says:

@Falconfire: Consumerist cliches #4 – someone complaining about service at a food establishment will be told “ugh, why do you even go to x – y is better, or just make it at home!”

On a more relevant note – I have had attitude from places when I’ve tried to use a coupon before. Do these people not even understand the purpose of a coupon is to INCREASE their business – most times I eat somewhere with a coupon, I would not have normally eaten there so the coupon has worked and you have gotten extra business, don’t try and rip me off by not giving me the discount.

7. HRHKingFriday says:

@Falconfire: I do that as well, and save a boat load because I’m one of those supreme/toppings nuts. That’s where they really get you- an extra 5 bucks for stuff you’d buy for your salad anyways? No thanks.

8. Falconfire says:

@Televiper: I agree, but that being said your a fool if you eat from a chain. Unless you live in the middle of no where in the US there is at least 1-2 great and 3-4 decent pizza places near you that do not involve having corperate phone calls and lemmings who press a button on a dough rolling machine.

9. tasselhoff76 says:

Thanks fucking awesome.

10. DearEditor says:

Plainly, that outlet doesn’t sell pizza at all. It’s a front for someone’s “undisclosed location”. Carefull, Nelson, they’ll be listening closely to your wiretap from now on.

11. spinachdip says:

@angryrider: I used to live not far from that Domino’s. I didn’t quite understand how they stayed in business considering the abundance of non-nasty pizza in the neighborhood.

12. jordy777 says:

Dominos is crap, their employee was just sparing Nelson the indignity of eating their crap food at a discount. I’m not going to go the Falconfire rout and suggest people get hair ties, drink spirulina and make their own whole wheat pizza, but how about supporting local business for an extra dollar or two?

That sounds awfully righteous to me… kind brother.

13. DMDDallas says:

Does the Consumerist really have a 3 month backlog on reading their emails? Or did someone really decide to wait that long to tell us about their unfortunate pizza experience?

14. shan6 says:

@causticitty: Very true. The best pizza always comes from the tiny hole in the wall family joint.

On topic: I can’t imagine what would go through my head if I dealt with somebody as clueless as that “employee”.

15. floyderdc says:

I have never in my life had a problem with a coupon. I mean where I live the driver does not even take the coupon. These places have some many specials going on that it is impossible to know them all. I do not know what was wrong with this guy, but I guess I would have just ordered from somewhere else.

16. machete_bear says:

Yes Dominoes is garbage, however living in NJ, I take for granted the fact that few other places in the country have an abundance of ‘real’ pizza places, and so I am baffled by the existence of these fast food pizza places.

17. MDSasquatch says:

Went to a Little Skeezers a few years ago around supper time and they were out of pizza; out of soda or beadsticks, I would understand, but a pizza place out of pizza?? I haven’t been back since.

Papa John’s saves money by reducing the bake time of its pizza in my neighborhood, this makes a doughy-nasty-sickening mess of a pie

Domino’s Pizza is alright as long as you don’t care about taste or texture.

Pizza Hut should charge extra for the grease, most of their pizzas have more grease than toppings and I am guessing that someone somewhere enjoys this GROSS-GOO-OF-A-CONCOCTION.

I go with a local joint, a bit pricey, but good quality every time.

18. Murph1908 says:

Lipta?
    Lancashire?
    White Stilton?
    Danish Brew?
    Double Gloucester

19. hi says:

It’s actually a minus sign… “Monday – Wednesday = ?”.

20. Antediluvian says:

@hi: It means the coupon is only valid during weeks when time is progressing in reverse. Good job figuring that one out. Unfortunately, now that the secret code is broken, they’ll have to come up w/ a new mechanism for appearing to offer something greater than the actual offer.

“$2 off every day*”
    “*not valid on weekdays, weekends, or days that end with a ‘y’”

21. kimsama says:

Ick, yes — I agree that local places will generally be a little more money, but a lot more delicious. Besides, if the crappy chains won’t honor their coupons anyway, wouldn’t that make them about as much as a local joint?

Of course, I say that from the perspective of someone who lives one block from an awesome pizza place. But even when I was growing up in rural BFE, we had like 3 local pizza places that delivered to us out in the middle of nowhere.

22. friendlynerd says:

I think I’ve figured out the Consumerist comments formula: 1. Person complains about sub-par service, rightfully. 2. At least one asshat asks why that person would go there anyway, because XYZ “sucks.” Usually a recommendation comes about some obscure local joint. 3. At least one person implies that because they’ve “never had that problem” the person is crazy or picky and besides, they should have gone someplace else, right? 4. Finally, someone will comment that they should have read more closely and it’s probably their fault in the first place.

Have I about covered it?

23. davere says:

@causticitty: Not the small local place by my house. I was so disapointed. Bland, generic, not very friendly service. I don’t know how they are still open.

I’ve always had a hard time ordering from my local Domino’s as well. They always seem to give me some sort of problem with the deal that I want to use. I stopped buying from them a while back.

Horray for Donato’s. Now THAT is good pizza.

24. mantari says:

@friendlynerd: Post a spoiler alert next time. You’ve ruined Consumerist for me!

25. savvy999 says:

There is a Domino’s literally within 500 feet of my house. Never once eaten there.

I’d rather drive 20 minutes in traffic to get a real pizza from a local place than put a single penny into the coffers of Domino’s fundyfreak CEO Tom Monaghan.

26. noquarter says:

@friendlynerd: You forgot to mention the wonderful credit unions, which solve all problems.

27. JollyJumjuck says:

“It’s like eating a hot circle of garbage.” – Kevin from “The Office”

28. AstroPig7 says:

@hi: Clearly, Monday − Wednesday = Caturday.

29. EricaKane says:

Same thing happened to me about 7 years ago. We got a flyer stuffed in our mailbox for a Triple PLay – 3 Pizzas for like 11.99. I call up that day, and they say prices has changed.

30. spinachdip says:

@masonreloaded: Yeah, I like the “Do you guys want to sell pizza?” question – reasonable businesses are willing to ignore certain conditions on coupons (or in this case, honor conditions on the coupon). Ultimately, doing business is more important than making sure they squeeze every penny out of the customer.

As for your first point, at least at Best Buy or Circuit City, you do get the name brand electronics you get elsewhere. Domino’s, on the other hand, barely qualifies as pizza, not to mention that you’re putting that junk in your body!

31. hypnotik_jello says:

Doesn’t Dominos put sugar in their pizza? Ewww

32. tk427 says:

@friendlynerd:
    You forgot corporate shills.

33. witeowl says:

Honestly, he missed the obvious next step: “May I speak with a manager, please?”

34. HRHKingFriday says:

@friendlynerd: And the “We either make it at home or do without” comment.

35. Canadian Impostor says:

The last time I ever called Domino’s I had just moved to a new town, and the phone was picked up by a computer playing a recording.

“Get a large one-topping pizza and buffalo kickers for $20″ The price may not be accurate, it’s not important.

As soon as a human picked up I told them I’d take that deal, the pizza and buffalo wings, and they told me they don’t honor that deal. I told them the deal was playing on a recording when you called their phone, and they wouldn’t budge. I hung up and called somebody else.

36. Jon Mason says:

@WITEOWL: Or he could write to corporate Domino’s – I did when an airport Domino’s meal I got was
    (close to) literally the worst thing I have ever eaten- even for fast food pizza. Got $20 gift certificates back in the mail.

37. ekthesy says:

@Murph1908:

“Venezuelan beaver cheese?”
    “Not *today*, sir.”

38. APFPilot says:

@savvy999: I’m pretty sure he’s not the CEO anymore. He’s too busy down here building America’s newest Catholic University and Town that won’t sell birth control.

39. MDSasquatch says:

I agree, Domino’s is one of the few companies that is actually quick to respond to issues like this and they usually go out of their way to make it right.

I wrote a letter to them last year complaining about their sponsorship of Michael Waltrip; lo-and-behold, Mikey is no longer sponsored by Domino’s.

Anything is possible

40. ninjatales says:

I won’t even bother with the coupons if I were you. Domino’s pizza tastes like crap. Stick with DiGiorno or Papa John’s.

41. socalrob of the 24 and a half century says:

I personally honestly doubt that dominos wants to sell pizza. I called and 2 times and was put on hold for 10 minutes each time. I gave up. I ended up ordering online. Never put on hold them and my order went right through and was at my house 35 minutes later.

But then for like 3 months supposedly their dsl line went out and they couldn’t recieve online orders. I’d go through the whole process to be told sorry they aren’t accepting online orders and told I could just call them. I tried calling and kept getting put on hold.

If the little ceasers near my house would accept anything other than cash i’d buy more of their pizzas. I mean what types of established businesses like theirs do not accept credit cards these days?

42. mantari says:

Monday minus Wednesday = April the 11th of November

43. rockosolido says:

I’ll call shenanigans alright…on Nelson.

Sounds like an overplayed fantasy of what you wish you said to the employee well after he shot you down. Doesn’t matter how many episodes of Seinfeld you’ve seen, life doesn’t work like a sitcom. You really expect us to believe that [poor] comedic exchange took place? Whatever.

Start recording your phone calls. Until then, I call bullshit.

44. tape says:

I just moved to a new section of Boston than the one I was previously living in, and all of the mom and pop pizza shops around here that I’ve tried are patently awful. I’m sure there is one somewhere that’s worth eating, but it’s hard when no one seems to know where they are – even on Yelp, there’s no pizza places with a positive review nearby.

I’ll find one someday, but I’m stuck with Papa John’s for the moment. At least with them I know it’s edibly average.

45. spinachdip says:

@socalrob: Little Caesar’s is a franchise, right? They’re really just a mom-and-pop that sells brand name pizza. I can imagine them deciding that, correctly or not, credit card fees aren’t worth the trouble.

46. timmus says:

Interestingly I thought that the Shenanigans he referred to was from the movie Waiting (the TGI Fridays clone).

47. Amelie says:

This exchange was fantastic. But I guess you can’t expect low-paid corporate employees to do anything but follow what they see to be the rules.

@machete_bear: Outside of NYC metropolitan area, I haven’t found any “real” pizza. Oh to be back in Jersey and get a real slice for lunch.

48. AD8BC says:

@hi: Monday – Wednesday = Negative Tuesday
    (assuming Sunday is the beginning of the week)

49. MeOhMy says:

I’ve had similar mind-boggling experiences with Dominos. I believe every word of it.

Of course part of this is turnabout. I don’t know about you guys but when I was a young punk kid my friends used to see how outrageous a coupon we could invent without being called on it.
    “I have a coupon for 8 medium 3 topping pizzas, 2 orders of bread sticks and a 2-liter for $2.99.”

“Nice try, kid. That coupon said $4.99 – I’ll give it you for $4.99 but that’s it.”

50. silver-spork says:

@friendlynerd: You forgot 5. Someone says “OP didn’t read the fine print/rules of carriage and is therefore a dumbass”.

@Tape: Where in Boston are you living now?

51. When did ordering pizza become a contract negotiation?

52. friendlynerd says:

@ad8bc:

I think Negative Tuesday is the first day of Smarch

53. humphrmi says:

@APFPilot: You are right, TSM hasn’t run Domino’s for a while, I don’t think he even owns any of it any more.

[quote.yahoo.com]

KEY EXECUTIVES
    Mr. David A. Brandon , 55
    Chairman, Chief Exec. Officer, Pres, Chairman of Dominos Inc. and Chief Exec. Officer of Dominos Inc.
    Mr. J. Patrick Doyle , 42
    Pres of U S A Operations
    Mr. Ken C. Calwell , 45
    Chief Marketing Officer and Exec. VP of Build the Brand
    Mr. L. David Mounts ,
    Exec. VP of Supply Chain & Procurement
    Mr. William E. Kapp , 46
    Interim Chief Financial Officer and VP of Supply Chain Fin. & Admin.

54. cmdr.sass says:

@friendlynerd: You also forgot the commenters who go out of their way to share their political opinion on an unrelated topic.

55. coren says:

@AstroPig7: I CANS has pizza?

@rockosolido: It seemed right in line with what the idiot he was talking to was spouting. Arguing they had changed the price within two days of sending an ad to everyone doesn’t strike me as the brightest of employees.

@ad8bc: Not negative Friday?

56. emax4 says:

Why is it when a reader chooses one business, half of Consumerist readers question the author’s choice in that business instead and recommend their own choice, instead of sticking to the topic at hand? Maybe the author liked the flavor of Domino’s pizza after trying other pizza in his or her neighborhood. Commenters think that their favorite pizza is better than whatever choice the author made, but they don’t think and realize that everyone has different tastes.

Remember that the topic is the Monday thru Wednesday dash, not the choice of pizza.

57. floyderdc says:

@EMAX4
    I don’t know, but I see it a lot her on Consumerist. If the topic is about banks someone will always post “you should go to a credit union”. I would guess in about 60 post only 30 are on topic

58. Phantom_Photon says:

Note to businesses: if you pay people minimum wages, they could care less about making your business successful.

Minimum wage buys you someone to sit in a chair or answer a phone and not think. If you want customer service or thinking, it costs extra.

59. savvy999 says:

@humphrmi: You’re right, Monaghan sold 93% controlling interest in the company in 1998 to an outside investment firm, pocketing a cool $billion for himself. The question is, what about the other 7%… is that still Monaghan’s, or were those shares disbursed to other investors/the public. Looking over the SEC filings briefly, I can’t find the details about it.

If anyone has the inclination, look at Dominos’ annual report (big file). The cover of the very thing says: “We’re not normal… … we’re customer crazy!” [phx.corporate-ir.net]

60. Jean-Baptiste Emanuel Zorg says:

@Murph1908:

Lancashire?
    White Stilton?
    Danish Brew?
    Double Gloucester

No no… don’t tell me. I’m keen to guess.

61. Rectilinear Propagation says:

@friendlynerd: Then there’s the random comments inspired by other threads: “just show the receipt”, “but are they taking this seriously”, etc.

62. DashTheHand says:

11/18/07? How long do you sit on email? Or did this person finally get around to mailing this in nearly 3 months after the fact?

63. PinkBox says:

@davere: Aww, too bad! One of the local places here has some seriously good pizza. It costs more than the chains, but is well worth it. :)

…and they also have stromboli. <3

64. spinachdip says:

@Phantom_Photon: And that kinda goes to franchisers like Domino’s as well. When you outsource 100% of your interaction with consumers to people who aren’t savvy enough to see that franchisee agreements are screwing them, they’ll drive your brand into the ground and consumers will associate your company with shitty food and shitty service. The low-margin, penny-pinching culture starts from the top.

See, “Domino’s sucks!!!” comments aren’t so off-topic!

65. RRich says:

Unless you live someplace where there are no Italian restaurants or “independent” pizza places or local chains, why order from Domino’s, Pizza Hut, Papa John and the rest?

Just to save a buck?

I’m all for getting a good deal but why eat bad crap?

Eat good crap instead.

66. B* says:

Actually, if the dash was a hyphen, the employee could argue that it actually was a Monday/Wednesday coupon only. If the dash was an en dash though, Tuesday would be included. And for all you math nerds out there, the en dash is sometimes used as a minus sign, but not the hyphen. (And either way, the customer could have argued that the company was obligated to use the proper minus sign character if their intent was to subtract Wednesday from Monday, meaning that the coupon was valid only on Mondays.)

67. LionelEHutz says:

Domino’s is not Pizza folks. It’s cardboard with HFCS laden ‘sauce’ on it.

68. humphrmi says:

@rrich: It doesn’t matter. He wanted Domino’s. The issue is the coupon, not his choice of pizza delivery restaraunt.

69. matt says:

@rrich: I don’t know about saving anything by purchasing papa johns or pizza hut. It’s definitely cheaper to get a frozen pizza, or make your own. I think it’s the convenience. I will often end up spending $20 for a pizza and breadsticks from PJ’s, just because I don’t want to think about dinner.

70. Imaginary_Friend says:

@friendlynerd: 5. Someone will inevitably jump on their libertarian high horse and give everyone an Ayn Randian lecture about laissez-faire capitalism.

71. Jon Parker says:

A while back Consumerist ran an item about a free pizza coupon for Dominos. I tried it and it worked. The problem was that the pizza wasn’t worth what I paid for it.

72. bigsss says:

Unfortunately, this counter person is an idiot and has a problem with reasoning.
    There is no arguing with them, because in their mind, they are right. I would walk right out and go buy a real pizza.

73. smoothtom says:

@Falconfire: Good local pizza joints? Come to central Ohio. Every local pizza joint I’ve found uses pre-made crusts and slices the pizzas into those damned little strips. How I miss the greasy, salty, floppy pizza from back home in PA. :(

74. Buran says:

@Falconfire: Ah yes the “if it doesn’t come from a hole in the wall” elitist attitude … related to “blame the victim” attitude …

75. Buran says:

@humphrmi: Yes, thank you. I can’t stand it when someone has a problem with a restaurant and the comments fill with “wow they suck I wouldn’t eat there” snark. Fine, THEN DON’T EAT THERE, but the person who did has every right to complain.

That said, why didn’t the OP say “My next call will be to corporate to file a complaint against you”, then do that, then call a different place like Pizza Hut or Papa Johns or whoever else offers pizza in the area?

76. clevershark says:

Nothing good can ever come from having an argument with some 17-year-old who then prepares your food. You’ll end up with a couple of “extra toppings”, if you know what I mean.

77. That70sHeidi says:

@friendlynerd:
    And the random “It’s a shop, some of the pixels are off” comment (see ROCKOSOLIDO above), followed by at least one person acknowledging said Shop Call.

Oh and someone has to comment about how this affects all the hard-working taxpayers, you stupid welfare sucking liberal. Get a job, pay your debts, why did it take you so long to notice this, you’re not a good Consumerist otherwise this never would have happened to you, don’t you ever learn?

78. DrGirlfriend says:

I desperately want to have a consumer issue with a locally-owned, independent joint, post it here, and watch people’s heads explode.

79. RRich says:

@humphrmi: I understand that. But it’s always nice to avoid bad things.

80. RRich says:

@matt: Right. Convenience does have a price, though, and it’s often quality.

Me, I din’t mind making a little pizza with pita bread, cheese and sauce. But that’s just me, though I’m lucky and live near a bunch of very good local joints. They also have coupons, specials and the like, so life is good! And so’s the pizza.

81. noquarter says:

@DrGirlfriend: Since moving to the DC area, I’ve had as many problems with locally-owned places as with the big chains. It’s to the point where I almost prefer a big chain because, if they screw you, at least Consumerist will care. Local stores have no incentive to avoid bad press like Domino’s is getting here.

82. vastrightwing says:

Solution:
    Me: “Please send me a pizza.”
    Order person: That will be $11.99
    Me: “click”
    Delivery guy: That will be $11.99
    Me: OK, here’s your $10.99 and coupon for $1.00 off and your tip of $1.00. Thank you very much. Goodbye.

83. bluesunburn says:

@hi:

Monday-Wednesday=Tuesday

Plainly, he should get his discount…

84. forgottenpassword says:

Ugh!, I get so sick of hearing “go to a local Pizza joint instead!” mantra of some people. Around here, we dont have a lot of hole-in-the-wall pizza joints. We have trendy pizza boutiques where a bunch of upper middleclass housewives buy their pizza. Thier pizza is overpriced & hardly any better than some local chain’s. And most dont deliver.

I wish I had tons of luigi’s or enzo’s or *insert italian name here* independant hole-in-the-wall “little known neighborhood secret” italian pizza-pie place on every corner, but we dont.

Dominos, little ceasars, pizza hut, papa johns & a lot of other pizza chains DO taste good. Otherwise, they wouldnt stay in business. They arent the absolute best, but they are relatively cheap, relatively tasty and VERY convenient compared to a lot of local shops.

85. Witera33it says:

the reason for ordering from domino’s is simple. Domino’s is open much later than good pizza places. The good places often close at 10PM, while Domino’s is open until 12 or 1AM. I get off work at 10PM.
    The real problem is that you don’t need to be bright to work at a place like that. In fact the company knows this and has started to offer online ordering. Don’t even bother talking to them just submit your order. Sure there’s still alot of room for error, but at least you jumped that first hurdle of idiocy.

86. Soultrance says:

Good to see all the money they spent on their new fandangled ‘pizza tracking technology’ wasn’t used on something they needed to improve like, you know, maybe their crap customer service?

Last time I called Domino’s I ordered the special printed on their flyer from 2 days before and the guy didn’t even know about the special of what it included. I had to tell him everything that came with the meal and how much it cost. To bad the damn pizza was actually good, otherwise I wouldn’t go back to them again.

87. eelmonger says:

When ordering pizza from a chain, I’ll only do it online. They have all their current deals on display and you don’t have to deal with whomever is manning the phones at the store. You have a much better chance of your order being right too, because your not relying on someone to properly hear it over the phone. Papa Johns also offers a ton of options like amount of sauce and bake time (which could solve the gooey crust mentioned above).

88. tvh2k says:

Silly me, I thought ‘Monday’-’Wednesday’ = -2.

89. rjhiggins says:

I’m no Domino’s fan, but the myth that every local mom-and-pop joint makes great pizza is pure BS. I’ve had horrible pizza at a number of those places as well. And a lot of them don’t deliver.

Sure, if you live in a metropolitan area you’ve got options, but in smaller cities, your choice of pizza places that deliver can be severely limited.

But don’t let that stop you from bashing this guy for being an idiot to order from Domino’s. That’s what Consumerist comments are all about.

90. rjhiggins says:

@vastrightwing: So your solution is to getting screwed by the corporation is to screw the delivery guy who relies on tips? Nice…

91. othium says:

Way back in the early 80′s, I used to work for a Godfather’s Pizza joint. It was my first job and I was taught how to make the dough, sauce and put together pizza with great detail by the manager at the time. He stressed over and over that every pizza you make should be “one you believe you are making for yourself” and I really liked the product at that time. (The sauce was a wholly different recipe than the canned junk they dump on now, and don’t even get me started on the dough..) I took a lot of pride in my job. Even the ovens used were the older-style ones where you had to place the pies way in the back with large paddles.

These days, when I stop in at the restaurant where I used to work, the ovens were replaced with a conveyor belt-type thing where pies are set on one side and pop out the other. The quality is just not there anymore. The ingredients are horrible, less cheese, cheap sauce and the workers all seem to be more interested with text-messaging on their phones than taking an order. (Man, I sound like some cranky old person complaining about “kids these days!”)

I still buy some of my food at restaurants, but I choose local ones over large chains, as they seems to have better service and much higher standards. I recommend my favorites to friends and family members.

Dominos Pizza has ALWAYS been nasty, as long as I can remember.

92. shrtcrt says:

I went to Joes Crab Shack on a Saturday and on the back they have a “Lunch Specials” section. I tried to order the endless Soup and Salad but the server said Monday thru Friday only. I argued with them that it was no where on the menu. They confirmed with their manager that it was NOT valid on the weekends. I should have argued more and been able to order the lunch special.

93. vacax says:

Cue 400 more people saying “Domino’s sucks” … of course they aren’t nearly as good as my preferred pizza place, but I think the people here have more hate than sense. Domino’s is not as bad as these comments indicate.

94. rbb says:

The only reason Dominos puts a hot pizza-like object into the box is to keep the cardboard warm. That way it tastes better than the pizza-like object…

95. MaliBoo Radley says:

For italian shit on a shingle, I’m gonna go with Little Caesars. I can get a large pepperoni for 5 bucks, and the place is right down the street from my house. You just can’t beat that when you’re feeling lazy.

96. rlee says:

@noquarter: Depending on where you are in the DC area, you may want to check out Vocelli Pizza. Lots of locations in “suburban Virginia”, not so much in Maryland. It looks like they’re also in WV, PA, OH, etc.

97. gretch9er says:

@DrGirlfriend:

Oh my God – I just died from laughter. :)

98. 92BuickLeSabre says:

I’m way in support of people’s problems with the big dogs; and their problems involving real financial loss or loss of time. But personally, I’m in love with this particular employee.

This is the kind of random crap I love to pull, and I’m a “professional.”

Brilliant work kid. Brilliant.

I can only hope that you also illegally recorded the conversation and posted it somewhere. (Off to search.)

99. econobiker says:

I understand that Domino’s is not real pizza but they deliver to hotel rooms, take credit cards, are open relatively late (unless in Ft.Wayne,In on a Tuesday winter night in February, 2005) etc.

I hate the delivery fee they tack on now. Is it a tip or a fuel charge? Somebody let me know.

100. MercuryPDX says:

@noquarter: Damn… beat me to it on that one but…

@friendlynerd: CHARGEBACK!

101. felixgolden says:

Just had a flashback to college and the clerk that used to close the “Store 24″ for a couple of hours in the middle of the night.

102. LadyCarolineLamb says:

I’m not a big fam of pizza, but the hubby likes it once in a while. Dominos used to be everywhere, now it seems they are a rarity. Here it is all about PapJohn…which I like being able to order everything ONLINE as I like it without talking to some apathetic teenager only half listening to what I am ordering. The online way, the only way they screw up is when we order/pay for 2 EXTRA garlic sauces and only get 2, as opposed to the 2 free + 2 paid for. That got solved when I said “Yes” when they forgot a few times and asked if I wanted them to bring it back.

103. LadyCarolineLamb says:

papA John I meant!

104. mbz32190 says:

The Domino’s down the street from me recently bit the dust thank god! Not surprised as there is THREE independent shops who compete on quality (for not much more, if any more than Domino’s), as well as a Genuardi’s (Safeway) who has brick oven pizzas on the weekends for $4.99 (large 1 topping)!

105. gmanj says:

@rjhiggins:
    No actually I think his solution was that it would get the delivery kid to make sure the coupon was honored so he’d get his tip. Or at least that’s how I read it.

106. yetiwisdom says:

Add me to the chorus: Who the hell eats Domino’s pizza, anyway?? Local places near me have coupons that are much cheaper than Domino’s ($4.99 plain pie), and they actually taste good!

I used to live in an area that was … ahem … lacking in the Italian peoples (down South). What a nightmare. No good sangwiches, no good pizzas, no good cheese-steaks, no good strombolis, no good calzones. God, I love the Eye-talian foods!

@vacax: It’s not that Domino’s pizza sucks, per se, as much as if there are better local alternatives, why go national? But, for the record, it does suck.

107. RRich says:

@yetiwisdom: I couldn’t live in a place that isn’t “diverse.” So-called “ethnic” food is where’s it’s at.

Peanut butter and jelly on white bread for you forever if you don’t agree!

108. fasdy says:

I’m a proud consumer of Pizza Express in Castro Valley, CA. Great, personable guys, giant pizzas, AMAZING crust. There’s a rumor that they put cinnamon in the crust, mmm.

I either get pizza from them, make my own from scratch (those are my top two) or the occasional Sergio’s/Pyzano’s pizza.

Domino’s… hah.

109. emax4 says:

Who is the mediator for these posts? Could he or she please delete all comments that have anything to do with going to another pizza shop and nothing to do with the dash in the advertisement?

110. shadow735 says:

why even call go on the internet enter your coupon and get you pizza delivered. You dont even need to talk to a person. if the coupon is still valid it will be on your order

111. JayXJ says:

Y’all are forgetting one point in favor of Domino’s. It is great kid pizza. Children do not know the difference between good stuff and garbage. Why spend the extra money?
    As for eating at hole in the wall places…that can go either way. I’ve had amazing food at some and have eaten at others I’m convinced were trying their best to poison me.
    Try our local, family owned pizza place. When you sit inside you’ll be convinced your pizza will be transported to the table by trained cockroaches… I’ll take Pizza Hut, thanks.

112. RRich says:

@emax4: Right. We need a mediator. Or maybe a taxonomist. Or a bloviator. Or an agronomist. One in red, maybe. Hold the anchovies.

113. Kishi says:

@Falconfire: Not necessarily true. The only good pizza places in my town don’t deliver. So, unless I want to take the bus to pick up a pizza (no) then I have to go with a chain.

114. dlayphoto says:

@Witera33it:

I tried ordering online for the first time from Domino’s last weekend.

1. There is NO way their pizza tracker is accurate to within 40 seconds.
    2. The driver said he ‘forgot’ my credit card receipt for me to sign.
    3. I checked my bank account today, and they overcharged me.

Do ya think the driver conveniently ‘forgot’ my receipt so he could slip in a guaranteed tip, and hoped I wouldn’t check my bank account?

Needless to say I sent corporate an email (CC’ed The Consumerist, ‘natch) and filed a dispute with my bank.

115. shiznannigan says:

@Witera33it: No, they aren’t open from 11am – midnight. They’re open at 11am, then again at midnight.

116. markio says:

The Philly cheesesteak pizza from Dominoe’s here is kick ass!! You can badmouth ‘em all you want, but that is one tasty pie.

117. shadow151 says:

I’m assuming this was the ‘great deal’. 7.99, 8.99 or 9.99 for a one topping depending on what size you order(prices might vary a a dollar or two). If this is the case it is most defiantly valid Monday, Tuesday and Wednesday.