Walmart Ignores Widow's Letter Asking Why It Took Employees 9 Hours To Find Her Husband's Body In A Bathroom Stall

Karen Turner wants to know why Walmart employees told her that their bathroom stalls were unoccupied, even though they contained the body of Karen’s husband, 41-year-old airline mechanic Steven Turner. Karen needlessly spent hours searching for her husband, who went missing after dropping off his car that morning for an oil change. Walmart has yet to respond to a letter Karen sent in September. No condolences, no explanation. Nothing but silence.

Steve Turner was an airline mechanic. The day that he went to the Wal-Mart he was scheduled to work a shift beginning at about noon. He got to the store shortly before 8 a.m. and called Karen to ask if there was anything that she wanted him to pick up while he was there.

“We said that we loved each other and that was it,” she said. “Then, when I didn’t hear from him by noon, I knew something was wrong. He was never late.”

Karen went to the store and asked employees to help her search for her husband. One of the first places they checked was the bathroom. She said that a custodian had the door blocked for cleaning and told her the room was empty. She would learn later that her husband had died in one of the stalls of an aortic dissection, a weakened blood vessel that ruptured. It’s the same condition that killed actor John Ritter.

“Steve showed no signs of anything being wrong,” she said. “I was told that he probably died suddenly at 8:30 that morning.”

Karen called the police. She roamed the store for hours. But it wasn’t until 5 p.m., when another janitor mentioned that a customer seemed to be spending the afternoon in the bathroom that she rushed in and found Steve’s body.

Attorney Douglas Belknap later wrote a letter for her to Wal-Mart officials. It reads in part:

“I do not ‘represent’ Karen in the usual sense and I do not intend to file a lawsuit. Karen simply wants to make sure that someone at Wal-Mart’s corporate level understand the excruciating mental anguish she suffered as a result of almost unbelievable set of circumstances that she hopes Wal-Mart will prevent from recurring.”

The Arizona Republic contacted Walmart for comment, but like Karen, received no response.

Karen’s son is 5. She was hoping to show him correspondence from Wal-Mart when he’s older as a way of explaining what happened. It’s still possible a note of some kind will arrive.

Wal-Mart has no answers to widow’s letter [The Arizona Republic]
(Photo: chasingfun)

Comments

1. doctor_cos wants you to remain calm says:

It wasn’t 9 hours, it was 5. Even so, unbelievable.
    How often did the custodian go in to clean the bathroom? Wouldn’t you at least tap the second time to ask if everything was OK?

I will refrain from my usual dissertation on wallyworld in deference to this sad event.

2. cryrevolution says:

Wow, that’s horrible. Spending your last remaining minutes in a Wal-Mart…my condolences go out to Karen & her family.

3. sakanz says:

I always thought the people at Walmart were heartless bastards but… damn!

4. I wonder if Dante’s girlfriend was in there too?

5. ogman says:

A-holes!

6. Tank says:

so the “this bathroom is cleaned and inspected every hour” signs they have on the door are bullshit then huh?

7. GOKOR says:

Wal-Mart’s not at fault here, but damn, at least send your condolences for a woman finder her husband dead inside your store. It’s no different then sending condolences to a friend’s family if your friend dies.

@doctor_cos: According to her attorney, the first custodian said the bathroom he was found in was empty. The second was like “damn, some guy’s been in there for a long time.”

8. toddiot says:

The “At Least Take It Seriously” tag, although funny, doesn’t really work in a sad situation like this.

9. nrwfos says:

The signs don’t say what kind of an inspection is given. But Wal-Mart probably won’t comment especially in writing because of the real possibility of making any statement leading to their legal culpability in some capacity. Their lawyers will be right in their with the reigns tight in their teeth.

10. theysaidwhat says:

I will never believe any stor that they have checked the restrooms when you are looking for something again. In 1999 I had my purse stolen while I was sitting down having coffee at a Starbucks. Asked the Starbucks to check the men’s restroom as I had already checked the women’s. They swore they did. 10 days later, when they finally checked the restroom, they called me to tell me they had found my purse in the men’s room trash. By then I had canceled my cards, had to get new id, etc. Which was so much fun because I was moving to a new state and there was a national holiday in the intervening days. Starbucks’ excuse? Well, that bathroom was out of order, so we didn’ think it needed to be checked. Right, because perfectly working plumbing would obviously preclude a thief from ditching a handbag in the trash. Geniuses.

Don’t trust people who make 5 bucks an hour to ever do anything for you. Really.

11. UpsetPanda says:

There is no length Wal-Mart won’t go to, to ensure that you are convinced they truly are heartless. Poor woman, I hope she gets the apologies she deserves…unfortunately, the apologies would probably come with a $300 gift card to Wal-Mart. I would never want to be part of that place if something like that happened to me.

12. GOKOR says:

@theysaidwhat: I think it’s more appropriate to say don’t expect someone who’s making $5 and hour to give a shit in your situation, as opposed to “don’t trust them.”

13. fhic says:

She has a lawyer, and wants them to admit they did something wrong? Sorry, I wouldn’t say anything either.

14. PinkBox says:

@doctor_cos: They said the body was probably there since 8:30am, and she didn’t start looking til noon. They found the body at 5pm, so the body could have been there almost eight hours by that point.

15. UpsetPanda says:

@causticitty: Yeah but Wal-Mart didn’t take 9 hours to find her husband’s body, they took 5 because she didn’t alert them to the situation until noon.

I wonder…why go to Wal-Mart first? I suspect she tried to call him, and called his workplace to see if he had shown up, but why suspect he was at Wal-Mart all along?

16. Custom Reality says:

@gokor: Walmart employees make some of the highest wages around.

I made over 11.00 an hour as a teen, with shift differential and Sunday time and a half. I made over $35,000 a year on average. Just as a teenager pre-college. =)

They still suck though. But employees are probably better paid than most commenters. =)

17. ShortBus says:

@fhic: I agree. That was pretty stupid to retain a lawyer if all you want is an apology.

18. Fry says:

I’m not for or against Wal-Mart on this, but why do they need to apologize? They didn’t do anything wrong. Sure, they could’ve checked the bathroom stall, but at noon, he was likely already dead. What could Wal-Mart have done in that case anyways?

19. PølάrβǽЯ says:

@CaliforniaCajun: Sick and WRONG, dude, WRONG! LMAO!

20. marzak says:

@Custom Reality:

wal-mart employees make some of the highest wages around??? that’s funny. my buddy has been with wal-mart for 4 years and still doesn’t make 10 an hour. he’s run several departments in his store, in a somewhat upscale part of town, and has been one of the highest product sellers in his store.

21. DrGirlfriend says:

@Fry: I’d imagine that they could have saved her 5 hours of searching and frantic worry, if their staff had displayed even a modicum of common sense.

22. Dick.Blake says:

Surely Wal-Mart’s PR dept. heard about this via the newspaper article. Why not issue a statement on the matter? That’s one of the first rules of the business.

23. Topcat says:

@Custom Reality: $35000 a year at $11.00 is about 61 hours per week (okay, 57 since you make time and a half on Sundays). That’s also assuming you didn’t go to school so you could have a (more than-)full-time job, and your particular Wal-Mart didn’t care about work-week labour laws. Try again.

24. sly100100 says:

@UpsetPanda:
    Probably because his car was still there, he was there getting the oil changed. So that would be the logical place to look for him. I am surprised no one called the police.
    After all the car was still there and he was missing, you would think that it was suspicious, I think I would have called them long before 5pm rolled around.
    Still it is a terrible thing that happened and it really wasn’t Walmarts fault for his death, as there wasn’t anything anyone could have done even if he died in the checkout line.
    But you would think that the employees would have conducted a better search knowing he had been missing for such a long time.
    How hard would it have been for them to check under the stall to see if there was anyone in them?
    I think the janitor should apologize if nothing else. Since he is the one who couldn’t be bothered to check properly.

25. Dashrashi says:

@biggeek: This is very classy of you. Good job.

26. GOKOR says:

@Custom Reality: I was replying to someone who was talking about her own experience and replying to that. Plus, it was a generality, don’t expect someone who you could give two shits about, to return anything other than the same treatment.

27. chersolly says:

Never ask someone to check the restrooms for you. Just walk in yourself.

28. cibbomatteo says:

The picture is from the Baton Rouge Wal-Mart off of Siegen Lane. It’s kind of scary when you drive up to it

29. strathmeyer says:

Why doesn’t she want to sue? Who’s been giving lawsuits a bad name? You’re supposed to make corporations say their sorry with their money!

30. akalish says:

Abominable. At minimum she deserves a hand-written note of apology from the manager and a promise of new emergency training procedures from corporate for their delay in realizing that there was a dead body in their bathroom. Acknowledging the sad situation is not admitting liability, so they’re safe in the legal sense. _Not_ acknowledging the tragedy is tantamount to saying that they don’t care that her dead husband sat in a bathroom for hours while she panicked and a store employee (the first janitor) lied to her.

31. vacax says:

And the widow wishes to show her son a letter from Wal-Mart explaining what happened? What? Why would you want a letter from Wal-Mart explaining your father died of an aortic dissection in their men’s room? How about a letter from your doctor? Or maybe the kid wants to read about how his Dad was dead on the john for more hours than necessary because a female Wal-Mart employee miscommunicated with a janitor…. either way: weird. Sorry the guy died, but she is just trying to make a villain out of Wal-Mart because she needs someone to blame.

32. B says:

What a horrid way to go.

33. n/a says:

Wow crosses, so subtle, wonder if they are taking this one seriously too.

34. homerjay says:

@fhic: and that sums up the whole ordeal right there. They ain’t sayin’ nuthin’ without a lawyers blessing.

35. mgyqmb says:

@D3Anon: I read about this somewhere else – these crosses were actually constructed in a random field BEHIND walmart before it was built. The impression, however, is the crosses are there on purpose.

36. jrdnjstn78 says:

I don’t understand why anyone in automotive didn’t wonder why the customer didn’t come and get their car after a few hours. Why didn’t Wal-mart check their security cameras? obviously this lady had narrowed it down that her husband was at Wal-mart or something because she probably saw his car there when she got to Wal-mart.

Wal-mart is not at fault but they could at least show some sympathy. What janitor cleans the restroom while someone is in there anyway, most places will check to see if anyone is in there and wait for them to leave. The janitor should have then let someone know that a customer was in there and to make sure he’s ok.

I don’t work at Wal-mart but I do work retail. I’ve heard of our employees finding people (homeless) sleeping in the stalls, etc….

37. Preppy6917 says:

@mgyqmb:
    It’s not a random field. A megachurch from north Baton Rouge is building their south campus across the expressway from Wal-Mart.

38. brent_w says:

@doctor_cos:

8:30 am (when he died) to 5:00 pm (when he was found) is most certainly not “5 hours”.

39. Jthmeffy says:

@aaron8301: +1

40. XTC46 says:

@Topcat: As a high schooler I worked more than 40 hrs a week on average. My state labor laws say as long as you are 16, you can work as much as you want.

that and your math is off, in addition to time and a half on Sundays, he would also be getting time and a half on any time over 40 hrs per week (or over 8 hours per day depending on the state) so while it is still unlikely (mostly because stores typically don’t let that much OT happen) it is easily doable. Hell I go to school (college) and work 2 full time jobs currently, and still have time to hang out with friends. Maybe you just suck at managing time?

in addition to that, he said precollege teen, not high schooler. I graduated when I was 17 and had i not started school right away, I would have 2 years and 3 months as a teen but precollege.

41. JiminyChristmas says:

@xtc46: Still not buying it.

$11/hr @ 40 hrs/week = 22,800.

That leaves 12,200 to get to 35,000 via overtime. Assuming a 1.5 overtime rate you would need 14 hours of overtime per week every week.

Considering that Wal-Mart has lost some very large lawsuits regarding stiffing employees for overtime I find it improbable that someone was getting that sort of OT.

42. cecilsaxon says:

Next time push the dead guy past the security thingies- only way you get attention is to hear the “we’re sorry, you have activated the wal-mart security system” message. Then the the door greeters swarm with their walkers and smiley face vests and grab at your bags looking for receipt errors.

“ma’am we found your husband- he set off our security system and has been detained- he is cooperating and being very peaceful about the whole thing….”

43. TheUncleBob says:

@jrdnjstn78: I’ve never worked in automotive, but it’s not too uncommon for someone to drop their car off first thing in the morning, then pick it up later in the afternoon.

44. STrRedWolf says:

Ugh. I think the next step *IS* a lawsuit, or pressuring the AG to investigate what role Walmart had in the death.

45. matt says:

@Preppy6917: I stand corrected. I woulda preferred the field.

46. rbb says:

If this happened in a COSTCO, at least she could have ordered the coffin right on the spot… Oooohhh, am I going to heck for that one…

47. @D3Anon: That’s a picture of the Wal-Mart on Essen Lane in Baton Rouge – there’s a giant mega-church about a half-mile behind it. The photographer stacked the subjects nicely through a long lens.

If you ever drive between Lafayette and New Orleans on I-10, you’ll see this monstrosity.

48. @CaliforniaCajun: I hate to be picky, but was Dante going out w/Caitlen? Well,besides on a date. I do wonder if he asked an employee for a roll of the good kind of toilet paper.

49. JHoward88 says:

Looking at this logically, one must realize firstly that Wal-Mart is not guilty for the death of a customer. Standard TLE (Tire Lube Express) policy for vehicle tendering is to park the vehicle in the store’s rear lot until the customer is ready to pick it up.

In such a case of missing persons as that described above, it is out of accordance with standard store respect of privacy to search restrooms without concrete reason. That “concrete reason” is unfortunately much more plain in hindsight than it would have been for those associates on the salesfloor at the time.

Flipping the coin, what if a live man had been spending some time in a restroom stall at Wal-Mart when an associate opened the stall door or looked under it to search for possible dead customers? One can immagine the feedback which would have respectively appeared online as a result. The simple fact is that people and organizations make all sorts of mistakes; this one is no different, aside from the fact that it happens to be more tragic than average, and more unfortunate than most.

As for the fact that the woman recieved no reply, I would attribute that to a large and rather messy beurocracy system at the home office rather than heartlessness as some might suggest; to the contrary, whenever a Wal-Mart associate or an associate’s kin pass away the company sends flowers to their home and family. I have witnessed this on multiple occasions; and I while I am aware of the problems that Wal-Mart faces as a company, I have also seen a regular hourly associate’s funeral where there were more store managers and associates there than her own family. That doesn’t happen at every retailer.

To the people discussing pay, I could go a long way talking about fair wages, but ultimately it’s a global problem; not a sign of Wal-Mart’s “evil.” It is also true that Wal-Mart Associates make more than the retail average and have more advancement options than the employees of other retailers. In any case, it should be noted that wages did not enter into the general topic of this original bulletin.

Wal-Mart has problems; but that doesn’t keep it from being the company which I respect most; and I say that as an hourly associate. That said, this incident is most unfortunate, and I wish her and her family alike the best.

Joshua Howard – Wal-Mart Store 5041 (Bonney Lake, WA)

50. goller321 says:

@Custom Reality: Custom Reality=LIAR

51. CurbRunner says:

Honestly…..nybody out there, what the hell else would you expect from Walmart? Would you really expect such a large entinty to respond with any respect or sympathy? Get real!

52. JHoward88 says:

Respect and sympathy are integral to the Wal-Mart culture; if in the long term they cease to be, Wal-Mart will cease to be a large entity.

53. 0x12is18 says:

You can’t possibly expect Walmart to respond to a letter from an attorney. First they were not at fault for his death. If someone looked under my stall, I would be damn sure to be calling management and the home office. As per the wages discussed previously, don’t forget the wage differential which is in addition to the base pay, usually for work overnight (and adds $1 or more per hour).

54. Trai_Dep says:

…So did they check the wife’s receipt as they brought her husband’s corpse out the door?

55. eelmonger says:

Back in my youth, when I was a bagger at a grocery store, I would sweep the floors and check the bathrooms once an hour. If there was a person in the stall, I might wait a minute or two for them to finish up, but if they took longer than that, I would clean what I could and sign the sheet, I wasn’t waiting around for someone to finish expelling last night’s taco dinner. I probably would’ve gotten suspicious if I couldn’t get into the same stall for several hours in a row, but by the time I’d think to see if it was the same pair of shoes under there it would probably be someone else’s turn to sweep. My point being that, baring the first janitor saying the room was empty when it wasn’t, it isn’t too hard to see how this could have happened.

56. Xkeeper says:

@JHoward88: Yes, because knocking on a stall door and asking “Is anybody in there?” twice over a period of a few minutes is a violation of privacy.

You’re an idiot.

57. jeezous says:

Janitors aren’t going to knock on the door…if they see feet, they’ll simply ignore the stall. Walmart will create a policy which requires them to open the stall and peeps will start complaining. Seems like some folks want camera’s installed in the bathroom. You could say all the *consumers* which used the bathroom during this time simply ignored a person that was probably crying pain during his last few moments…

58. doctor_cos wants you to remain calm says:

@causticitty: @brent_w: Noon (when the search started) to 5 pm is 5 hours.

And the story is not about how much people make at wallyworld or the crosses in the picture.

@Fry: Thanks for your wonderful and insightful wallyworld ‘isn’t at fault’ post.

@trai_dep: good call, but you were beat by cecilsaxon (or was that an homage?)

59. Schwartz says:

Hey…I took that picture around 3 years ago.

Sweet.

That particular Wal-Mart is in Baton Rouge, LA in case anyone’s wondering where those awesome crosses are.

60. fuzzball21 says:

I’d just like to point out, that she could have gone into the bathroom in question and found her husband herself. If she felt that he was in there, she could have pounded on the door, yelled and went in. In places where I have have been, some of the women’s restrooms were terrible, no soap, no tp, ect, so I would go into the vacant men’s room and get whatever I needed, after pounding on the door first. If it came to it, she might be asked to leave the store, but then she would have been able to sue because the janitor lied to her, and then when she tried to rectify the situation, she was asked to leave. It’s terrible what happened, and there’s no excuse for it.

61. jooverz says:

Sad story… Why oh why do I continue reading Consumerist?

62. econobiker says:

Could she have called his cell phone (if he had one-seems to have had one) and listened at the door of the bathroom? Unless he is one of those noodle heads who use the stock ringer she could have heard a distintive ring?

63. Chaosium says:

If I’m a low-paid retail employee, I’m going to shout his name and see if anyone responds. I’m not going to bother people who are currently in the process of “using” the stalls.

64. IrisMR says:

@jooverz: Then just stop reading consumerist, don’t post up “WHY AM I STILL READING” like an attention ho.

What I want to know is the position of the body.

65. floydianslip6 says:

Her mistake was saying she WASN’T going to sue. Wal-Mart doesn’t give a fuck about people. It only cares about the bottom line, and a grieving widow with no intention to drain the coffers isn’t a priority apparently.

I wonder how fast she gets a reply after all this bad press?

66. Rectilinear Propagation says:

…as opposed to “don’t trust them.”

@gokor: Pretty much amounts to the same thing though doesn’t it?

67. polyeaster says:

If the janitor had noticed that someone, “Seemed to be spending the afternoon” in the bathroom, that would warrant some serious banging on the stall door, investigation of some kind.

68. stinkingbob says:

I am going to have to agree with Jhoward. Walmart is not at fault. Any kind of civil suit against them would be without merit.
    Janitors at any kind of establishment, even airports, will not knock on a stall door if they see that it is occupied. Period. Now, the janitor leaves and maybe checks the bathroom again. He doesn’t know who is in the stall. It could be a new person in there taking a crap. Again, the will not knock on the door.
    Walmart did nothing wrong. It is a tragedy that this occurred and my condolences go out to the lady and her family.

69. BeFrugalNotCheap says:

I know WalMart is’nt at fault. But the idea of passing away at one of their stores really disturbs me. And I have this creeping sensation that a WalMart employee may have walked thru the bathroom, looked under one of the stall doors and seen this guys feet and figured it was’nt him and did’nt want to investigate further out of fear the guy really was dead. The employee would have had to fill out paperwork and talk with police and did’nt want the “hassle”.

70. shadow735 says:

Walmart sucked his life and soul right out his bottom, proof that Walmart is a one stop 666 shop!!
    SO where do they keep the succubus’s?

71. Drowner says:

@stinkingbob: Agreed! Those stalls are checked all the time, but it’s not the same person refilling the soap containers every hour for 5 hours. A better search probably could have been done, this is true, but as the woman said Steve never had any indication of a medical condition, so it probably didn’t seem that severe of a problem.

@CurbRunner: Please don’t paint it out like the employees of Walmart are just heartless bastards. Many years ago a man collapsed at my local walmart in front of the soda machine, stricken with a heart attack; everyone behind him stepped over him to refill their drinks. YEAH customers.

72. mworthen says:

Most likely their legal department didn’t allow them to express condolences, for obvious reasons. WalMart’s not to blame. But at times of grief, people want to blame someone, anyone, no matter how misdirected.

73. Tzepish says:

“I do not ‘represent’ Karen in the usual sense and I do not intend to file a lawsuit.”

/case closed.

74. Custom Reality says:

@goller321:
    11/hr + double time on Sundays and Holidays (22/hr for 9 hours), plus time and a half over 8 hours, so add an extra 17 per day.

440 + 198 = 683

Becomes with 1.5,

525 + 198 = 723

723 a week, for 52 weeks COMES OUT TO $37,586 to all the doubters who can’t do math.

Thank you. =)

75. AndreaP says:

I know Karen personally, and am sickened by some of the comments. Asking if the greeter checked the receipt for Steve’s body? Sick.

Karen did not retain the lawyer, she is not paying him at all. Steve died between 8 and 8:30 and wasn’t found until 5pm…that’s 9 hours by my clock.

The cleaning lady had seen Steve in the stall throughout the day and never told anyone about it until about 4:30.

Karen is heartbroken. She lost the love of her life, her best friend and the father of her child. She had to tell her four year old son that his daddy was never coming home. The least Walmart could have done was issued a letter of condolance.

76. technical writer says:

What’s Wal-Mart supposed to do?

Their business model involves hiring people with no skills at $8 an hour.

Of course they make stupid mistakes.

My advice is that if you want service that requires more than minimal intelligence, don’t shop at Wal-Mart. Target’s making a fortune by hiring people who can at least figure out some basic tasks.

77. Taluca says:

Their business model may involve hiring people with limited skills, but since when is common sense a skill? When a dead man is allowed to remain in a public bathroom for 9 hours, a bathroom that should have been checked every hour, there’s something wrong.

His death was not Wal-Mart’s fault — the article clearly states that. But I think asking why a dead man sat in a public bathroom for 9 hours is a fair question and it requires a corporate response.

78. DL91 says:

Wow, how quickly some of you are to place blame on Karen. How pathetic.

I also know Karen. I know how hard she searched. There are events that took place that day that were left out of the article.

True, Steve’s death was not Walmart’s fault. However, having a security/cleaning system in place that would allow a man to go undiscovered in your establishment for 9 hours IS their fault.

Make no mistake, had this been a child, he/she would have been found.

When you are told by the Manager to check the bathrooms, you are supposed to check. The employee LIED and that fact cannot be ignored.

Walmart could have and should have acknowledged Karen’s loss. Fact is they (home office and local store) ignored it.

79. ColbyWolf says:

Another thought…

What if this man had been stabbed? or was suffering some other sort of debilitating, but not immediatly lethal malady?

Would it have been any better or worse if he’d has a stroke while on the toilet and he spent the next 5 hours developing permanent brain damage?

Or bleeding all over?

Or having a heart attack?

Or any number of things that could cause him to suffer?

it doesn’t matter if he died at 8:30, 12, or 2 minutes before they found him… no one found him. and he’d been there all day.

THAT is the problem.

80. CommentHarry says:

@Topcat:

It does not seem that Karen has done anything wrong – even having a lawyer send a letter. WalMart, on the other hand, seems to think that ingnorance is bliss. First, they ignore a person known to be in their bathroom stall for several hours. Ahm – hello – that is a definite signal that something is wrong. Management should have been informed and then investigated the matter. This would have been the right way to handle things even though there is nothing anyone could have done to save this gentleman’s life due to the nature of the medical event. Speaking of what is right, WalMart should formally respond, through their attorney, with a letter recognizing the loss to this family. There would be no harm, because – as the attorney writing Karen’s letter knows – s/he’d have to prove that this gentleman would have survived but for the inaction of WalMart employees. Again, this injury is catastrophic and it is highly unlikely that his life could have been saved. WalMart’s legal counsel should recognize this and simply send the letter.

Why – because WalMart has a larger corporate image to uphold, number one. In addition, WalMart participates in the Code Adam program, which is where a store or other public place goes on lockdown mode using a pre-set search plan immediately upon receiving a report of a missing child on corporate property. If WalMart cannot find a person in their bathroom for 9 hours – and it WAS about that – what good is their Code Adam plan?

WallyWorld – write this family a letter as soon as you learn how to write.