Tmobile Ranked Highest In Customer Care

Tmobile is yet again as number one in customer care., according to the J.D. Power and Associates 2008 Wireless Customer Care Rating. Tmobile scored 105, Verizon comes just behind at 101, Alltell and AT&T tie at 99, and Sprint puts in a poor showing at 83. The survey measures quality of interaction with customer service reps, automated response systems, in-store visits, and online chats. Tmobile consistently ranks high on the survey due to a company culture dedicated to solving problems on the first call. As for the other providers? The subheading on the rating agency’s press release says it all, “When Customer Care Issues Are Handled by an Automated Response System Wireless Provider Performance Drops Dramatically”

2008 Wireless Customer Care Ratings (PDF) [J.D. Power and Associates]

Comments

1. Buran says:

So that’s where the money goes that they’re saving from not providing 3G like, oh, EVERYONE ELSE IN THE US. Come on, T-Mobile! Get with it!

2. You know, every time I contact them with an issue, I get helped by a friendly person who actually solves the problem. Gotta say, that’s unusual.

3. shadow735 says:

T-Mobile sucks, Verizon pwns all other cell carriers

4. yesteryear says:

i knew i’d made the right choice to use Tmobile when i called once to find out about my plan because i had $100 in overages… and the woman on the other end actually said this to me: “wow, you go over a lot, lets switch you to a plan with more minutes… i can even make it retroactive”. i couldn’t believe my ears. they wanted to save me money? they’ve always been very gracious and helpful, even when my phone was stolen – they helped me work with the insurance company to get a replacement in TWO working days. amazing.

5. floridastylee says:

I’ve been with T-Mobile for about 7 years now. I got a Blackberry Pearl from them last year and I’ve had maybe 3 or 4 issues with the phone. But as soon as I call T-Mobile for support they can usually help me out or they send me a replacement phone promptly (without shipping charges since I’m a “loyal customer”!). Just this month though, I had a replacement phone on the way to me when UPS lost the package and stated that the product was stolen. I called T-Mobile and they conferenced UPS support to resolve and process my new order! Still waiting for my replacement phone, but I’ve been more than content with the support and bonus 200 minutes they gave me for my troubles!

6. floridastylee says:

I’ve been with T-Mobile for about 7 years now. I got a Blackberry Pearl from them last year and I’ve had maybe 3 or 4 issues with the phone. But as soon as I call T-Mobile for support they can usually help me out or they send me a replacement phone promptly (without shipping charges since I’m a “loyal customer”!). Just this month though, I had a replacement phone on the way to me when UPS lost the package and stated that the product was stolen. I called T-Mobile and they conferenced UPS support to resolve and process my new order! Still waiting for my replacement phone, but I’ve been more than content with the support and bonus 200 minutes they gave me for my trouble!

7. Bladefist says:

@shadow735: I agree. Verizon is the shiz.

8. Honus says:

If they had a better infrastructure, I’d go T Mobile. But anywhere I want to be are places where T Mobile coverage is spotty at best. Their data plans make me jealous but I can’t rectify it. Also, Verizon is virtually interchangeable with AT&T.

Though AT&T’s corporate/business support branch is pretty good.

9. shadow735 says:

@Bladefist: Like to see t-mobiles score on reception? I get the best reception pretty much everywhere, plus their customer service is awesome, people are friendly (like you could go out for a beer with friendly) and they bend over backwards to make you happy, Another Cell carrier would have to pay me $1,000,000 bucks for me to consider changing my service to another cell provider.

10. landsnark says:

11. hypnotik_jello says:

@Buran: Sorry to burst your bubble but T-Mobile didn’t have the spectrum for AWS 3G svc allocated to them until they won the auction last year. It’s going to take some time for a full roll out. Blame the FCC is you’re going to blame anyone.

12. enm4r says:

@landsnark: Considering the cellular industry, the title is probably best rewritten as “Tmobile ranked lowest in customer dissatisfaction”

Winner.

13. bdsakx says:

I wouldn’t know what to say since I’ve never personally called T-Mobile’s customer support since like… ever, and I take that as a good thing. I set my phone up in one of their stores. However, I could comfortably say I’ve never had a billing dilemma or issue with their service, so that’s also a good thing! As long as I just pay the usual bill each month and them leaving me alone, I’ll be happy. It’s good to know though that should I ever need to call them I won’t die over it.

14. banks says:

On the other side of things from the majority of the comments, Sprint’s richly deserved 83 is just one of the many reasons I am switching in seven days, when this contract finally expires.

I’ve only been a customer since 1999. It’s not like a ten-year customer relationship is worth anything.

At least, that’s the impression I get whenever I have to call them for any reason at all.

15. shadow735 says:

@banks: Sprint is on the path to be bought out, some of their business practices are just insane and stupid. Best way to commit suicide is to cut off your main artery (your customers)

16. RenardRouge says:

I don’t understand why people have problems with Sprint. They have been nothing but helpful. Especially now that changing a plan does not extend a contract, it’s great.

17. My experience with T-Mob, wonderful. They have given me tons of help. When I had to cancel a second phone, no problem. The account was past contract, no problem. When I wanted to make sure my phone was unlocked so I could get a paygo SIM in Italy, no problem. They were happy to help me figure out if it was. They didn’t even care that I was using an unlocked phone. I have had two late payment charges killed over the phone. And I have never had to escalate, ever.

And as to reception: in the markets where I Cell: Washington DC, St. Louis, Kansas City, New York, they are rock solid except for one corner of the office building in DC. I should mention, the office building is a half mile in circumference. Might be different elsewhere, but the only place where Verizon is better than TMob in DC is in the metro.

18. falc says:

@yesteryear: i had the same thing happen to me. one month my father got sick and was in the hospital for a while and i was constantly on the phone with my mother and brother to get updates. they both had recently just switched from T-Mobile to Verizon so this made our calls out of network. so i went way over my monthly minute allotment. so i called customer service and they recommend switching me into the ‘My Favs’ plan which would eliminate the problem. PLUS they would make it RETROACTIVE so i wouldn’t have to pay the overage charges. very helpful on all other occasions with customer service, which is rare these days.

19. Landru says:

@hypnotik_jello: Why blame the FCC if Tmobile didn’t regard 3G as important enough to go after early licenses?

20. deadlizard says:

I grudgingly moved from T-Mobile to At&T because of the iPhone.
    AT&T made the transport of my phone number a living hell. On the
    other hand, two years earlier I transported my number from Cingular to
    T-Mobile and the T-Mobile guy did it right at the store. Anyway, just a
    few weeks ago I needed my phone records from a year ago and called
    T-Mobile to see if they had them. Even though I’m no longer their
    customer they found the records and mailed it to me right away, no
    extra cost. I can’t say the same about At&T customer service. It’s
    horrible (but that’s a longer story). Plus, I’m shocked to see At&T
    coverage where I live is way worse than T-Mobile’s (and T-Mobile
    doesn’t run a campaign with lies as the “more bars”). To sum it all,
    I’m very tempted to find a way out of AT&T and hack my iPhone for
    T-Mobile.

21. Prince of Zemunda says:

Sprint should just give up. I have 7 months left on this contract and I can’t wait!!! When are they going to have pro-rated ETF’s? IF that comes sometime in Q1 then I will jump ship at a cost. But seeing as how they are hemorrhaging customers I doubt they will do it now.

22. TechnoDestructo says:

First of all, it’s JD Power. Sprint probably got the lowest score because they paid the least money.

Second, what do these numbers even MEAN? There’s no explanation of the scoring system. It’s probably adjusted so as to keep everyone as far from zero as possible (because hey, they’re paying customers, you know?)

23. oneswellfoop says:

That’s one of the reasons I’ve been with t-mobile since two companies before they became t-mobile. The customer service has always been great(or at least significant;y better than any other company I’ve dealt with).

24. the-wanderer says:

@deadlizard: AT&T and T-Mobile are both GSM carriers.. Unlocking an Iphone so that it works on t-mobile is super-easy. I’ve considered buying a Iphone for t-mobile more than once, but I would have to give up a little much in the way of a camera, so I haven’t done it yet.

25. shadow735 says:

@TechnoDestructo: you dont know sprint I bet if you asked any cutomer of sprint they will tell you those numbers are wrong that they are in fact lower then stated. Sprint probably paid them money to keep the number higher then in actually is.

26. timida83 says:

I called them one time, because I had gone over $50 worth of text messages (don’t even ask me how), and I wanted to know if there were any plans for text addicts like myself. The rep on the phone recommended me the unlimited text bundle, and then made it retroactive to the beginning of my cycle, saving me over $50. Needless to say, I’m not going anywhere. That type of service is enough to keep me around,

27. firesign says:

i never had any complaint about t-mo customer service back when i had my sidekick 2. it’s a shame their coverage sucks where i live. i was with sprint before them, that was a horrorshow. so far i haven’t had any problems with cingular/at&t, but t-mo’s rate plans were always better.

28. econobiker says:

1998 Powertel then Voicestream then T-Mobile. I went with them (Powertel) because of the regional network and the GSM. Basic reading in ’98 said that GSM was the way to go as the other would be outmoded.

Plus being able to switch phones with just a GSM chip switch helped save money on upgrades between me and my now ex-spouse.

Customer service has always been pretty good even when I was shipped the wrong phone to preview and then they or UPS lost it when returned. That said you always need to keep paper work and names/dates no matter what company you are dealing with. I was able to fax paperwork to them and they sent me the right phone plus a $20 credit.

29. firesign says:

@deadlizard: i moved my number from t-mo to cingular with no problem either. the guy did it in the store. of course that wasn’t with an iphone. it was the same when i moved it from sprint to t-mo.

30. Buran says:

@Landru: Thank you. If a company didn’t have the sense to buy the freakin’ licenses, that’s still their fault. The FCC isn’t gonna say “Hey, you should have this feature, here’s a license for it”.

31. taliacheri says:

T-mobile has always been consumer friendly for me. There has been more than one occasion where they will kindly call me, tell me I’ve gone ridiculously over my minutes, and give me the option to either pay the huge fee, or change my plan and offer to pro-rate my minutes, and save me hundreds… Of course they make me extend my contract, but now a days that doesn’t matter. For a mere 250 I can opt out any time I want.

32. eyesonly says:

True story: Back around 2002, I was on hold with an operator at T-Mobile, waiting for something in my account to be fixed. While we were waiting, he said, “Do you mind if I ask you something?” “Uh… sure.” “Do you think it’s possible to be in love with two women at the same time?” He very clearly wasn’t harassing me or anything; he just really, really needed to know. I was with T-Mobile for over two years, but that is literally the only thing I remember about their customer service.

33. STrRedWolf says:

When I got my 3G service I avoided Sprint for obvious reasons, Verizon because they’ll be switching to GSM in two years for 4G service (LTE), and T-Mobile’s coverage in my area (Baltimore/Washington corridor) just plain sucks! My home is four full bars of coverage under AT&T, and 1-2 in T-Mobile. COME ON!!!

That said, look at the data. Sprint’s bringing everyone down.

34. katieoh says:

i, on the other hand, had a terrible experience with t-mobile. my sidekick 3 (which i had treated like a baby for the 9 months i had it) kicked the bucket, and they told me that no t-mo stores in a five-mile radius (i live in nyc, btw) had a loaner phone to give me while i waited for the replacement! i was standing in a store full of phones and they couldn’t bend the rules for me. like a bad consumerist, i lost my temper after having been on the phone with a csr forover an hour while inside a t-mo location. i started yelling about the aforementioned hundreds of phones right in front of me. finally, a manager came over and sold me a phone just to get me to stop yelling in a crowded store.

moral of the story: the squeaky wheel gets the grease. oh, and i’m getting an iphone next. stupid t-mobile.

35. Muhlyssa says:

Been happy with T-M since day one. My husband has been with them so long, he got to pick his own phone number. We switched to AT&T a few years ago (don’t know why I think it had to do with the phone selection) and switched back to T-M in less than a month. I don’t think their coverage is as good as some others however, the service and plans are top notch. I laugh when I think about the time when we put up with Sprint’s BS.

36. kathyalice says:

I’ve been with t-m for almost 8 years, started with voice stream. They have always been wonderful. I have asked many questions on how to use my phone. They are always very nice. I have hot spot at home and love it. I can use hot spot at home at Starbucks and at other places. My husband and daughter have sprint and it is a nightmare to talk to their customer service department, they never get anything right.

37. bluewyvern says:

Anyone care to explain the scoring system? 105 what? On a scale of 70 to 110? Huh?

I’ve never had a problem with Verizon wireless, but dealing with Verizon for internet service I got some of the worst customer service treatment I’ve ever had. Unhelpful reps (who wouldn’t give me any id or direct number or way to recontact them, leading to a lot of frustrating dead-ends when the calls got dropped), a terrible automated system that spins you in circles, promises unfulfilled, no satisfaction…I spent so long on the phone with this one issue I went over on my minutes and incurred charges. Way to rack up some money, Verizon.

38. wesrubix says:

Their customer service is 24×7. And they do great things. That’s why I switched to them (that and their blackberry service is the cheapest).

3G isn’t that much better if you’re doing basic web stuff. The latency is still high.

39. synergy says:

I have the opposite feeling. I LIKE automated calls. I can button push through the menus in short order instead of having to listen to spiels from a breathing person with whom I can’t be rude and short to get what I want.

40. jamar0303 says:

I liked T-Mobile. They were loads better than Sprint (which I left due to stupid bill charges that they wouldn’t remove- oh, and routinely dropping me onto analog roaming didn’t make me any happier) and more supportive about me having an unlocked phone (than Cingular, at least- I got a phone in from Hong Kong because I hated T-Mobile’s current selection at the time).

41. gingerCE says:

Overall, I have to admit, customer service at TM is pretty good. Always get a live person quickly.

42. n/a says:

WAIT Tmobile is the best?

What about the stories of that one lady on here where shes getting fucked for her money on a bill she doesnt owe due to number mismatch or some other scam, and other things tmobile has done lately.

43. bayboy says:

tmo has been great for us
    support is always extra super duper nice
    and every time i’ve called there’s virtually no wait time

wish same can be said for the dealer from which we got our phones

44. ajn007 says:

I gotta echo the kudos being given to T-Mobile here. Every time I call with an issue, they end up saving me money in the long run by analyzing my usage and suggesting a better plan. And I’ve never had a problem with reception, ever.

45. rustyni says:

Well, good to know I guess, seeing as I’m being forced against my will to change to T-Mobile from Verizon. The boyfriend’s getting a CSR job with them, and we’ll be getting discounted service.

: /

46. youbastid says:

@rustyni: So because you have the option of getting discounted service, you’re being forced against your will?

47. @STrRedWolf: Hrm, in DC/NoVa, my T-mob coverage is very good, except in an office I had for 4 months, and the metro.

48. rustyni says:

@youbastid: Yep. That’s the fun of a significant other who insists that price is more important than preference.

49. centrifuge says:

I love sprint. Technically the product and network is fabulous, but customer care leaves alot to be desired. Though I blame this on the outsourcing contract that sprint engaged with IBM a few years ago, steadily we have seen an increase in the number of foreign call centers. Sprint has call centers in India, the Phillipines, Canada, Trinidad, Mexico, and God knows where else. There are more call centers outside the US than inside, and Sprint only owns about 12 of them, all the rest are IBM’s fault. If Sprint gets rid of IBM than customer care should return to normal.