This Wii Baseball Bat Is Not Regulation

Reader Phil says:

I found this on Amazon’s video outlet. No wonder it’s on sale.

We’re not, like, Barry Bonds or Sammy Sosa or anything, but yeah. Something seems a little off.

Can’t quite put our finger on it.

Wii Remote Baseball Bat [Amazon]

Comments

1. scatyb says:

I bought a couple of those sets and they are all small. It’s mostly due to the fact that you don’t that much room to swing around a 3′ stick. But it is good to help you get your bearings. Especially with tennis.

2. snazz says:

clearly amazon needs to iron out the details…

3. It’s the Michael Jordon Post-NBA retirement model from when he played in the MLB and also golfed.

4. shadow735 says:

thats one retarded bat, Oh wait here come the PC police.

5. macinjosh says:

Can’t wait for the Louisville Driver for Wii

6. ptkdude says:

I have this sports set thingy (golf club, baseball bat, tennis racket), and have to say they actually do help me play better. I haven’t tried playing baseball with the golf club, but who knows… it may work better!

7. @ptkdude: You don’t have the set w/ the sword?

8. jamesdenver says:

I almost bought this for the Wii fan in my household – but I saw them at EB and they looked really cheap and plasticy. Well cheap cheap plasticy anyway.

9. b01000100 says:

@snazz: I see what you did there…

10. spinachdip says:

@snazz: Snort!!

@shadow735: Actually, that’s the persecution complex patrol at your door (I know, not nearly as snappy as “PC police”).

11. ekthesy says:

Sort of reminds me of when I worked at a country club; Monday the course was shut down for corporate outings. On the Mondays when none were scheduled (very early and very late) the golf staff would go out on the course and mess around, like throlf, cross-country golf, or play the course backwards. One day we got some baseball bats and played fungo golf…a lot harder than it sounds.

12. matt says:

Just a quick note for anyone who is thinking of getting these for a Wii-lover near you – you can’t use these in conjunction with the rubber wii cases that nintendo is now providing for each remote. You have to take it off beforehand, and it just becomes a huuuuge hassle. Furthermore, some of them, you can’t even have the strap attached. It’s bizarre, I know.

13. Propaniac says:

I have to take off the remote glove to use my Wii Zapper, but that certainly doesn’t cancel out how much fun I’ve had with the Wii Zapper.

14. MeOhMy says:

Oh it’s corked. I get it.

15. alhypo says:

So, I guess the additional wind resistance is the issue here?

16. n/a says:

Now is that bat corked too?

17. Jeneni says:

You know, that’s really the problem with Amazon…

I used to work for an electronics retailer… and for the most part, it’s not very easy to add a product to Amazon that doesn’t already exist (there are ways, but they generally involve you being a big seller or mailing them crap). And the way that they determine what product information ends up on the product page is by what information the seller with “ASIN authority” submits when selling a product. (They wouldn’t divulge to me how ASIN authority is determined exactly but they did say it had something to do with the seller’s sales volume). So basically, everyone can submit a feed of their products with things like weight, specs, MSRP, but only the person with ASIN authority gets the info THEY specified to show up as FACT.

And quite often, I would find an HDTV that was listed as weighing 200 lbs, when in reality it weighed 40. But the reason it was listed that way is that shipping cost charged on amazon is based on the weight listed on the product page… and sometimes a seller with ASIN authority would drop out and that would change without notice, and sometimes screw us over on shipping costs. (Dropping from 205.95 to 29.95 for example).

Worse than that though, I found that the specs for most electronics were WRONG! And many consumer electronics retailers pull their specs from Amazon, which exacerbates things quite a bit. My company was no different… my boss felt that it was a “waste of time” to verify specs with the manufacturer or multiple sources because it was quicker to go to amazon and copy and paste. We even had a tool that pulled their product information automatically and generated ebay templates using them.

The point is… Amazon has no quality control in place to stop lazy, greedy companies from telling you anything they want (from a ridiculously inflated MSRP to completely WRONG specs –which resulted in the compaby selling CRT Tube TV to someone who thought it was a DLP because in the product description, it was listed both ways). So I’m really not surprised by this in the slightest. If you look at consumer electronics on Amazon you’ll see a million and one things just like this, that unfortunately are less obvious to the average consumer, and even some tech savy ones.