CompUSA Sign Maker: Funny Or Just Dumb?

Tyson from New Hampshire writes,

On my way to pick up a replacement hard drive I swung into CompUSA first to see if I could get a lucky deal (that wasn’t marked up right before going on sale) from their going out of business sale…

The place was fairly well cleaned out, and there were no hard drives to speak of, so I looked around to see if there were any targets of opportunity. On my way through the software aisle, I saw the sign attached above. You think maybe they should keep some of that software for themselves

Our favorite touch is the “Hooked on Phonics” directly beneath it. Adds Tyson, “If they can’t spell ‘educational’, I’m not feeling confident they have the math skills to get my 25% off right.”

(Thanks to Tyson!)

Comments

1. sgodun says:

That HAS to be an intentional joke. Please, let it be.

(Sidenote: At my local grocery store they always advertise “Macintosh” apples in the produce section. I therefore always head in there with a black Sharpie and ‘erase’ the ‘a’ to correctly spell it as ‘McIntosh’. This has been going on for the better part of six months now. You’d think someone would get the clue.)

2. m4ximusprim3 says:

geek joke.

Also, when did the super old glassman renders make it onto gawker? Wasn’t that some super old raytracing project from like 2000?

3. friendlynerd says:

@sgodun:

I’d like to buy a Macintosh for $1.99 a pound, please.

4. snoop-blog says:

i vote dumb.

5. arby says:

Of course it was intentional. I don’t think it was a particularly funny or original joke, but it was obviously a joke.

6. Antediluvian says:

Ironic.
    Who says prop comedy is dead?

7. faust1200 says:

Obviously an intentional attempt at humor.

8. chrisclock says:

Ali G anyone? Someone obviously has a sense of humor.

Btw, how do they get all of the techmology into those Macintosh apples? I’m sure the edukational software helps.

9. warf0x0r says:

lOl, nice one.

10. silencedotcom says:

@faust1200: And a bad one at that.

11. Cupajo says:

CompUSA is a waste of time. I was looking at a microsoft natural mouse. The new ones were $60. Of course, if I wanted to save an extra 5 dollars, I could buy the crappy beat-up display model (no box, all components taped together in a bundle) for $55. I left without either and when i got home I picked it up online for $35.

12. darkclawsofchaos says:

Its is a loop hole, it is for edukational software, not educational. Wee typos! Although that can be considered misleading and possibley fraud…

13. UpsetPanda says:

I used to volunteer at a hospital and one of my jobs was to restock the Critical Care Unit’s drawers and cabinets when certain supplies were low. Well, one day I was stocking a cabinet and saw that the drawers above it were mislabeled, including one that said “skhool information”

14. JJ910 says:

These guys still in business? Wow! When was the last time anyone bought anything from a store like CompUSA. Give me a break!

And yes, the people making these signs are alternative kids (and how the heck do you know one day that – hey – I am freaking alternative) – you know the ones where they cant keep their toungues in their mouth because they have pieces of rusted metal dangling in their toungues, large pierced ears like the African Bindibu tribe, strange tattos at odd locations (like the ear lobe . . . you get the point.

So what do you expect . . next time yuo go . . . look at the secondary ambience than just the products. Look at the lights, the staff, how they talk, etc. Its like loking at a movie just to see the background. It gives you a different perspective.

15. pureobscure says:

Maybe it’s a social statement about how educational software needs to be marked down because no one is buying it.

16. Mills says:

I thought CompUSA was closing all their stores in the coming months?

And everyone who’s ever worked retail knows that when you’re going out of buisness, they’s usually so happy to have you show up that you can get away with lots of things. Like stupid signs.

17. Voltron's Underwear says:

funny, but not as funny as when the road crews do it

[www.flickr.com]

[carcino.gen.nz]

18. Nytmare says:

EDuKATional SofTwAre

It’s not just the spelling that’s odd.

19. AceKicker says:

@JJ910 & Mills:
    The stores are indeed closing down. This one’s shelves were half bare with misc store brand accessories and a couple tv’s left. There wasn’t many truely useful items left (save for one box of Rock Band), though I did leave with a simple external enclosure for my old hard drive.

20. Brian Gee says:

@darkclawsofchaos: Now THAT is funny! I wouldn’t put it past them.

21. shadow735 says:

Intentional joke, hey at least the employes are typing to put humour out there after all they are all going to get the axe.

22. Brian Gee says:

@nytmare: Oooh! Its an encoded message. They’re using steganography to hide the message in their own sale signs! Let me see… Combine that one with the one from the “Home KompYOOturs” and “NeTwerKin”… I believe it says:

Fools! These clearance prices totally suck!

23. Joafu says:

It caught your eye, so I’m going to say that this particular piece of advertising was successful. If only CompUSA had been doing this all along…

24. AceKicker says:

@Joafu: You do have a point, it was attention getting. Even if it wasn’t all positive.

I’m not so sure how viable a strategy it would be for a long term marketing solution however. :P

25. UpsetPanda says:

I would think the bright teal sign was indicator enough, and then the 25% OFF! bit…It was eye-catching, but I think more because of the color and not because someone spelled educational incorrectly. There are, in fact, some people who wouldn’t catch this.

26. MeMikeYouNot says:

I was driving near the last COMP USA store in Las Vegas last week and decided to drop in, just to see what was left. I was looking for a wireless mouse…everything they had was at least 20-30% higher than Circuit City or Best Buy and then was marked 20% off, so I passed. The whole store is just sad and run down–no one will miss it, except maybe the PC Club store next door, who I’m sure got some customers who left CompUsa disgusted with the bad selection and service.

27. MelL says:

The sign looks more like a play on the ‘K’ in kindergarten than a joke or someone not knowing how to spell to me.

28. Anonymous says:

Can’t they be both?

29. smallestmills says:

Awww, poor sign maker. I work retail and we get to make our own signs. Sometimes, when we’re really bored, something that was funny to the two people discussing it turns out to be not as funny as they thought it would be. We post lame signs all the time. It’s funny to us, the workers, and that’s what counts.

30. Parting says:

Maybe a joke or maybe it’s brand’s name? Some companies take a regular word and just flip some letters to attract attention…

31. sibertater says:

What are they gonna do, fire someone? I’d show up to work in a tube top and gauchos…I have back hair.