IRS Warns Consumers Not To Fall For Rebate Scams

The IRS would like you to know that its not planning on emailing you about your tax rebate. “The IRS does not send unsolicited e-mail about tax account matters to individual, business, tax-exempt or other taxpayers,” the agency warned yesterday.

“Stimulus” rebates have not yet been approved or signed by the president, but that’s not stopping some scammers from taking advantage of consumers who are eagerly anticipating the cash.

If you have questions about your tax rebate or any other IRS-related issues… why not give them a call? Despite their reputation for being a bunch of psychos, they’re actually helpful and nice. 1-800-829-1040

Or, if you prefer the internet, make sure you’re visiting the real IRS page at IRS.gov.

If you do get some suspicious emails, help the IRS investigate the scammers by forwarding the messages to phishing@irs.gov

How to Contact the IRS [IRS]

Comments

1. joeblevins says:

Some people will fall for anything. But I know better, so I have a real CPA doing my taxes so I get my Slavery Repirations Credits.

2. chiieddy says:

Every year, they post the same warning, and every year people fall for the same scam.

3. MercuryPDX says:

I got a nice one this AM. Go gettem boys.

4. B says:

Oh, I thought they were talking about those instant refund things from Jackson Hewett or H & R Block.

5. shadow735 says:

Some people are just born victims, its pretty pathetic. If they stopped and thought for a second or two they would not be taken by chumps that want to scam them.

6. yorick328 says:

BTW it’s spelled Reparation and it’s a scam. However there is a credit for the Victims of the 1848 Irish Potato Famine and children of the St. Valentine’s Day Massacre. Note that many of the Mega tax preparation firms are basically loan sharks with usurious RAL fees. Tell me that a ten week crash course in taxes makes a preparer a tax expert and I’ll show you a balanced budget.

7. Anonymous says:

We’re the authority on money scams; we’re the IRS

8. whirlybird says:

Now they need to stop the RALs and pre-paid debit card card scams.