Opt Out Of Comcast's Arbitration Agreement

Included in the Comcast January bills was a new Comcast Agreement for Residential Services pamphlet, and a new opportunity for customers to opt out of mandatory binding arbitration as a way to settle disputes with their cable provider. Just go to comcast.com/arbitrationoptout, enter the required information, and hit go. Boom, you’ve just held onto your constitutional rights. Here’s a related post on the 9 ways arbitration screws consumers over.

Arbitration Opt Out [Comcast] (Thanks to Stephen!)

Comments

1. inno says:

Not to troll or anything, but is the right to a civil trial really a constitutional right? Just curious.

2. econobiker says:

Sweet. Just emailed it to a couple of friends.

3. TaviRider says:

Oh lucky me… The form asks for “Date When You Received the Welcome Kit or the 2007 Arbitration Notice”. The former date is a lost date from years ago, and the latter is ‘never’ because I use paperless eBilling with Comcast.

4. IphtashuFitz says:

@TaviRider: So consider today to be the date that you received the notice. You did learn today that Comcast had an arbitration clause and that you could opt out of it by visiting this website, did you not? Seems like reasonable notice to me.

5. FunPaul says:

I can’t seem to find my account number or the date when the notice was sent.
    I’ve got my own way of opting out of mandatory binding arbitration. I’ll do that when the promotional rate on the phone ends.

6. gnubian says:

The date you need is just the date you started service with Comcast .. you can call them and get the date.

7. Munsoned says:

I just entered today’s date (date I received notice). Seemed to work with no problems.

8. PaulMorel says:

Personally, I have been lucky enough to have only good experiences with Comcast. Still, I am glad to see this. I just opted out, and I am going to send a message to them, telling them how happy I am to see them doing that.

9. mkmead says:

Entered account number that is on my billing info on the online site and won’t take it.

Seems pretty worthless to me if their system can’t even accept the number the online bill payment system uses for my account.

10. Ickypoopy says:

@mkmead:
    When I did it a few months ago, I ended up having to call in to get my account number. I had the work order from the installation, which clearly stated “account number” on it. That account number clearly has no basis in reality though.

11. polyeaster says:

This doesn’t work- I got my account number from my online account manager, entered it in the form exactly as it appears, but I get an error msg saying to enter it exactly as it appears on my bill. I tried it several ways, to no avail.

12. Cogito Ergo Bibo says:

Is this a new opt out? Or is my old one, from a few months ago still valid, is my question. Because if they are going to send out new agreements that we have to opt out of, every few months, that sounds like a nasty way to get more people to accidentally “agree” to arbitration.

13. camille_javal says:

@inno:

Amendment VII
    In suits at common law, where the value in controversy shall exceed twenty dollars, the right of trial by jury shall be preserved, and no fact tried by a jury, shall be otherwise reexamined in any court of the United States, than according to the rules of the common law.

14. TaviRider says:

@TaviRider: Using today’s date worked. I scoured the eBill. There’s no arbitration opt-out notice in there, even though the bill included a PDF file showing all the other usual billing details. Without Consumerist I never would’ve known about this. (Of course, without Consumerist I never would’ve known just how evil mandatory arbitration clauses are either.)

15. parisdog says:

I never knew about this either. I tried to opt-out but had the issue where it wouldn’t take my account number. I called Comcast to “help” with the problem. I was greeted by one of the rudest customer service people I have ever met. She informed me that all the information I needed to know was in my bill and on the contact information was on the webpage. For the record, they do not have contact information on the opt-out page. After telling me there was nothing she could do I asked for a number of someone else who could help since she couldn’t, she told me there was no one who could help. Then I asked to speak to her supervisor. She asked me to repeat myself. I told her again, “I would like to speak with your supervisor.” She then told me, “Sir, I am disconnecting this call due to abusive language and cursing.” CLICK. I never cursed and was never abusive. I called back to talk to someone else who explained that they do not have then enitre account number on the bill for “my safety” and you need the entire number to opt-out. I also explained my plight with the previous CSR and she logged in the log but it only had a first name. She did say she talked to her supervisor about it and that she would try to figure out who it was. Right. But I would like to say this . . .

ATTN COMCAST – as _soon_ as my telephone company finishes laying fiber I am switching and I won’t so much as buy a paper clip for you _EVER_ again. Cheers!

16. ComcastCorporate says:

We work very hard to resolve customer concerns quickly, without the need for arbitration or litigation. Like many companies Comcast has had an arbitration provision for many years as one means of resolving disputes because it can be quicker, less expensive and less stressful for all parties involved than going to court. We notified customers that we’ve standardized and improved the arbitration provision in our customer agreement by adding the option for customers to opt-out of arbitration and more clearly specifying the choices they have for resolving disputes with Comcast. It’s important to remember that arbitration is just one option customers have and does not prevent them from seeking other means of resolving their disputes, such as going to small claims court or utilizing their local franchise authority.

17. pyloff says:

Getting the account number is nearly impossible if you don’t have a bill in your hand from a previous month. They won’t give it up.

I recall this from moving in to my Apt and trying to setup my WorstBuy rebate etc…

18. pyloff says:

On a lighter note, I’m opted out!!! Yay, I just might be less of a prick!

19. Sanshie says:

Don’t forget to check the tiny box!

20. coraspartan says:

Crap, I tried to do it and it kept telling me my account number was wrong. Hmm…I cut and pasted it from my online statement! This is such bullshit. Yet another reason I hate Comcast.