Great Moments In Commercial History: Prime Cut Meat Market Restaurant

Here’s a commercial for the Prime Cut Meat Market Restaurant, where:

“Bob Henry, winner of an award, proud owner of a plaque, will dazzle you.”

If you’d like to nominate a commercial for our weekly series “Great Moments In Commercial History” send us an email at tips [at] consumerist [dot] com. Be sure to put “Great Moments In Commercial History” in the subject. To see other commercials that have been featured in the series, click here.

Comments

1. shan6 says:

What was that guy doing under her desk? Talk about a relaxed work environment…

2. PatrickIs2Smart says:

Mmm chicken fried steak… with country gravy… mm…

3. pengie says:

I love commercials like this. I’m willing to bet this place got at least a little business as a result.

If you like steak, chicken fry is worth trying at least once. I never had it before moving to the southwest, and I love it. I don’t eat it often, though–it’s pretty fattening. :X

4. chiieddy says:

Chicken fried steak. It’s like that biscuits with country gravy breakfast. You know it’s responsible for increasing your heart attack risk 100 fold, but it’s oh, so good and you want it anyway.

5. JayXJ says:

You’ve never had chicken fried steak? Never? Are you from overseas?

6. i’ve had the pleasure of living in the deep south for a while. i had the best doggone chicken fried steak, sausage gravy, biscuits, and grits. awesome!!!

7. trujunglist says:

Mmm… chicken friend steak, what a concept! Now THAT sounds delicious, unlike chicken fried steak which is OK. Not delicious, just OK.

8. B says:

Chicken fried steak. For those who feel regular steak is too healthy.

9. eyesonly says:

Best way is to sample a variety of chicken-fried steaks on a cross-country road trip. By the time you reach the opposite coast you’ll be at least 10 lbs. heavier, but boy will you feel patriotic.

10. aduzik says:

What are you talking about, badvertising? This is easily the most awesomely awesome commercial I’ve ever seen. Cheezie ripoffs of popular early 80’s Michael Jackson songs? I want to eat there *now* as in, “let’s get in the car and go for dinner tonight, kids!”

This is, if I may be so bold, a truly, truly timeless advertisement.

11. Aphex242 says:

Never having chicken fried steak = alien.

That’s seriously odd. It’s a little like never having had a hot dog. Yeah, I’m from Texas (now) but even when I lived up North I’d had it ONCE.

12. discounteggroll says:

I think I saw chicken fried steak at my local supermarket’s frozen food (made by banquet-red box)

ah hah! [www.conagrafoods.com]

I knew I wasn’t going crazy

13. Eric1285 says:

Mmmm…Chicken fried steak. My fraternity’s cook makes it every couple of months. Of course, it’s that prepackaged crap that you just toss in the oven or on the grill, but it’s still delicious.

14. ludwigk says:

I don’t know if all-you-can-eat shrimp as part of a $5.99 dinner is good or bad.

15. jonworld says:

the food looks like the crap they serve at old country buffet (mmm…food poisoning).

And consumerist, I can’t believe you won’t try chicken fried steak. I just moved to the Midwest and It looked gross at first, but it was awesome when I tried it!

16. goodkitty says:

The world would be a better place if everyone had fun commercials like this. I want to eat there (even though the prices are probably 3x higher now).

17. Bay State Darren says:

I can empathise with Bob Henry: for I too am the proud owner of a plague.
    [What do you mean that's completely a different word?]

18. cronick says:

OK. Now I have a reason to go to Twin Falls!

19. ogremustcrush says:

cronick: Not really, that restaurant has been gone for years now. Too bad really, as they had a really good breakfast buffet for 2 or 3 dollars if I remember correctly.

I think the guy on the commercial went to high school with my mom.

20. clevershark says:

I had chicken-fried steak, while (predictably) travelling through the South, at a truck stop. It’s a generic piece of beef breaded and fried, like chicken. There’s not really much taste to it besides grease (what was I expecting at a truckstop?). It’ll give you your RDA of saturated and trans fats, cholesterol and sodium, if nothing else…

21. scoli83 says:

@clevershark: You didn’t have good chicken fried steak. Only bad chicken fried steak tastes like grease.

22. meanwalrus18 says:

torta milanesa!!!!!!!!! you’ve gotta live in california for this stuff mmmmm even the mexicans fry their steak here! basically in so. cal you can get anything fried….but man the article’s chicken friend steak still sounds good.

23. themediatrix says:

Yum! Chicken Fried Steak!!! With Gravy or A1 Sauce? (It’s a toss up!)

I’m from Texas (originally).

24. updog says:

How has no one commented on the guy in the mask in the first scene? WTF was that about?

25. faust1200 says:

You can hardly tell that cocaine was the drug of choice in the early 80’s.

26. ClayS says:

“We’ve never actually had chicken friend steak, and we won’t… We’re waiting for Bob to dazzle us.”

Meg, when The Consumerist editors use the word “we”, is that really meant to be a singlular reference to yourself, or to you and your household, or all editors collectively. If the latter, do you actually check with the other editors?

27. Hawkins says:

And dig that word processing computer on her desk. Eight-inch floppy drives!

28. faust1200 says:

@ClayS: Meg has multiple personality disorder which was diagnosed after one them stabbed a guy for asking stupid questions.

29. theblackdog says:

Anyone know of a good place in Maryland for Chicken Fried Steak?

30. ClayS says:

@faust1200:

All the editors do the same; I think its a valid question.

31. Rectilinear Propagation says:

@updog: That’s what I was about to say. I knew I wasn’t crazy!

32. Rectilinear Propagation says:

@ClayS: I think it’s the royal “We”. Ben has referred to his girlfriend as “our” girlfriend before.