HSBC Direct lowered its online savings account rate to 3.8%. Now my bet in moving all my money to E*TRADE, currently running at 4.4%, has paid off.

Comments

1. howie_in_az says:

Just got the HSBC email. Argh! 5.05% all the way down to 3.8%… and rumor has it that The Fed will announce ANOTHER rate cut rsn.

2. Morton Fox says:

I have a HSBC Direct account and I saw this coming from a week ago. Thanks, Bernanke, can I have another?

3. u2acro says:

If you want another good online option, Square Savings, with an APY of 4.8%, is awesome. They’re tied to Kirkland Bank in Oklahoma, and they’re full of actual helpful people — people who answer the phone if you call with a question, people who get back to you when they say they will, people who follow up a few times to make sure your concern/problem/whatever has been resolved satisfactorally. Strange, I know! I’ve been with them since late October, and I absolutely love them. I joined after FNBO started ticking me off with their lame attempts at customer service.

Anyway, http://www.savingssquare.com.

4. chalpin says:

First Consumerist post!
    I signed up with WaMu’s 5.0% online savings account. When I called and asked them how long the rate was good for, they said for as long as I keep the account open. It will never drop. I suppose I should re-confirm.

5. forever_knight says:

lock in a high cd rate.

6. bigboat says:

ING Direct doesn’t even send emails. Log in, look at your history of % drop, drop, drop. I’d be annoyed except it’s systemwide.

7. lukobe says:

What makes you think E*TRADE isn’t going to follow suit?

8. SexCpotatoes says:

Because E*TRADE desperately needs to stay capitalized. They are almost bankrupt, morally and literally. There were a few articles about the company being under funded because of the subprime meltdown, and the coming credit card conflagration sure won’t help matters either.

[www.nationalledger.com]

9. LVP says:

I only signed up for this account because they had local branches & ATMs in my town. I really don’t like the idea of an online bank account but the 5.05% and access to their ATMs sold me.

@chalpin: Does that account have ATM access?