Canadian No Longer Has To Pay More For AppleCare

Zachariah no longer has to wonder about why AppleCare costs more in Canada ($199) than in the US ($169), he found a deal at L.A. Computer Company where he could get it for $119. They emailed him the agreement number, he registered the number online at Apple, and received his official AppleCare Protection Plan Certificate in the mail. So what’s the solution to the mystery of why there was a pricing disparity even though there’s parity between the dollar and the loony? We don’t know for sure, but we’re placing our money on that the prices were figured out when the dollar was worth more and they just haven’t been readjusted since.

AppleCare [L.A. Computer Company]
PREVIOUSLY: Canadians Wonder Why They Have To Pay More For AppleCare

Comments

1. Rando says:

AppleCare isn’t the only thing Canadians have to pay more for… Just go to any book store and check out the prices.

I wonder how long they’ll let this continue.

2. Terek Kincaid says:

Um, not sure about the specifics, but if he bought the warranty from the US, I’m pretty sure it’s only good in the US. If he needs to use the warranty, he may have to travel south of the border.

3. balthisar says:

@terekkincaid: My US warranty was good in Canada when I needed it from Apple.

@randotheking: we’d screw if their economy if we adjusted everything. They’re already used to paying what they pay for. Their salaries don’t change because of the dollar disparity. It would amount to a heck of a lot of deflation, and as nice as that sounds, it’s not a good thing. Sure, they Canadians and we Americans can dream about all kinds of prices suddenly falling without paychecks falling; wouldn’t that be nice? But the for economy of a country, that’s not good.

4. EmperorOfCanada says:

Books, at least where I live have already been adjusted. Anything listing a US price and a Canadian price in most bookstores is being sold for the US price. Just FYI.

5. Elijah-M says:

@terekkincaid: If it’s a portable item, the warranty and Apple Care are valid worldwide.

6. Sportyboard says:

That should be “loonie”, not “loony”.

7. gingerCE says:

I got my applecare for free with my laptop. It was a promotion–only for students or faculty though.

8. ironchef says:

VAT is usually factored into the price of a product.

9. Mr. Gunn says:

I feel his pain. My PC Care plan rips me off, too.

Wait, what?

10. @gingerCE: All Apple’s come with AppleCare. But to extend it, you have to pay.

11. matt says:

This is the price that academic customers pay. Call up any university bookstore/computer store and ask how much applecare is. The store I worked for would pretty much sell to anyone when I was there (*shhhh*).

12. viqas says:

not a bad idea!

especially when apple care is world wide.

13. unsunder says:

AppleCare pays for overnight shipping both ways. That could easily warrant the extra cost.

14. pestie says:

Am I the only one who thinks “AppleCare” sounds like some sort of diaper rash ointment?

15. Buran says:

There’s been a price disparity for YEARS. It took this long to notice?

16. huadpe says:

@Buran: The disparity made sense when the Canadian $ was worth less than the US. Used to be that $199 CAD = $169 USD. Now they’re at parity though, and Apple (and most other retailers) haven’t updated their prices. So there’s a bargain to be had on the US side of the border.

17. zcrow says:

If you read the agreement, it clearly states that the Apple Care Protection Plan is…

“This Plan is offered and valid only in the fifty states of the United States of America, the District of Columbia and Canada.”

and…

“Onsite service is available for many desktop computers if the location of the Covered Equipment is within 50 miles/80 kilometers radius of an Apple authorized onsite service provider located in the United States or Canada.”

18. wallspray says:

Isn’t it up to apple to price things in different countries? I’m sure Apple’s “X” product isn’t the same price in England as USA given exchange rates. It’s up to Apple to price their products based on what the selling market can hold. If people are willing to pay more in Canada, Apple can charge them more. Same way starbucks (or whatever) is more in an airport then on the street. It’s what the market can hold.

19. sventurata says:

@wallspray: Right, dollface, but the issue here is that many Canadians *aren’t* willing to pay the extra $30 or so for an identical service, so they’d be interested in hearing about someone who got around the issue and paid less. Get out of your Econ 101 textbook for a minute and pay attention to the article’s point.

20. sventurata says:

And I repeat, 1/2 hour after my original comment failed to post…

@wallspray: Right, dollface, but the issue here is that many Canadians *aren’t* willing to pay the extra $30 or so for an identical service, so they’d be interested in hearing about someone who got around the issue and paid less.@

21. guspaz says:

@ironchef: Despite what you may have heard, Canada is not, in fact, in Europe. VAT being a tax imposed by the European Union, that doesn’t really have any relevance to this situation.

FYI, GST (Goods and Services Tax) and PST (Provincial Sales Tax) are not included in the price of the item, but added at the register. The rules for PST vary by province. For example, in Quebec, QST (Quebec Sales Tax) is charged on top of GST, meaning that you’re paying tax on your tax.