Friday Consumerist Flickr Pool Finds

Here are five photos of note from The Consumerist Flickr Pool, chosen because they’re both neat and could possibly be used in a Consumerist post. Our Flickr Pool is the place where Consumerist readers go and upload photos for possible use in future Consumerist posts. Just be a registered Flickr user, go here, and click “Join Group?” up on the top right, and start hitting “send to group” on your individual photos you want to add to the pool.

(Photo: Listener42)

bigcargolittlecargo.jpg

(Photo: Charliux)

disposablehouse.jpg

(Photo: Brian McGann)

pumpinggas.jpg

(Photo: whatatravisty)

attgotham.jpg

(Photo: Todd Kravos)

coffinz.jpg

(Photo: Micaelaaaaaa)

Add your shots to The Consumerist Flickr pool, and perhaps they’ll get featured in a future story, or even highlighted in a Friday Flickr Pool Find post.

Comments

1. speedwell (propagandist and secular snarkist) says:

I’m “eco-shaped.” I require 30% less fabric to clothe me than someone of my weight who is the regulation height. (j/k)

2. Sam says:

I was initially repulsed by the “Eco-Shape” labeling (greenwashing at its finest, right?), but I see what they’re trying to do. It’s a distinguishing characteristic, so consumers can tell they’re looking at the redesigned bottle. I just think that the new shape shouldn’t be called out on the label, but rather the “less plastic” quality.

3. mac-phisto says:

yeah, so that last one is rather creepy.

4. eyesonly says:

Greenwashing, agreed–but for a split second, I did find myself wondering if maybe a consumer who needed to assuage her/his guilt for buying bottled water by getting something like this, might over time make the switch to buying less (or no) bottled at all.

Still–pessimistic reading is that this would just help people rationalize: “I know bottled is bad, but it’s OK–I’m buying the less-plastic kind.” Economist.com just ran a column about this last month–the “rebound effect” that leads people to, e.g., “compensate” for the gains from better gas mileage by driving longer distances/taking more trips.

They’ll pry my Sigg out of my cold dead hands!

5. North of 49 says:

how do you add photos to the fliker pool? I keep on finding fubars at the local walmart for prices too and would love to show them.

6. yoursupervisorplease says:

Eco-shaped, 30% less plastic and 35% less water in the bottle, all for the same price! Get real, I bought a decent water bottle for ten bucks a few years ago, I refill it from fountains when I come across them and it does just fine. Bottled water is a huge scam, most of it is tap water with an extra layer of filtration. Here is a way to really save the environment, stop buying bottled water, fountains are free anyway.

7. mainfr4me says:

If you have an account on Flickr (if you have a Yahoo! account for e-mail, messenger, whatever, you do), upload your photos to there, join the Consumerist Flickr group, and then you can post the photos you uploaded to the Consumerist Flickr group either through the Organizer function on Flickr or going to the photo and selecting “send to group”.

8. OmicroN says:

@eyesonly: Good job, you sent me to dictionary.com on “assuage”. I consider myself to have well mastered the English language, generally knowing most if not all formally used words as well as proper grammar rules. You earn the Omicron Cunning Linguist award for this week!

9. superlayne says:

@yoursupervisorplease: This is all fine and dandy if your tap water is decent.

I live in a boarding school in a small college town, I will also add that said college is one of the bottom rung in the state. My school is pretty prestigious, though. Weird, I know.

The tap water here is disgusting. It literally isn’t clean. In it you can taste the dirt from the Cane river, and I suspect they hardly treat it at all before sending it to the spigots. All of it tastes like catfish, and having some free time in lab I found it to be very basic.

Yes, it is better than water many remote places and 3rd world countries can get, but when you see pale yellow rising up out of a water fountain, are you still so willing to drink it?

I try to recycle the bottles I use, which can be hard in a dorm setting, and I am aware of the waste, but before you blam all water bottle consumption and start screaming for us to use tap, take into consideration that not all tap water is as nice as Dasani. (Which is supposed to be from New York, correct?)

10. Tim says:

30% less plastic and 40% less water! same great taste, same ridiculous price!

11. asherchang2 says:

pale yellow? sounds like a rusty pipe. does it only happen momentarily? (my high school had this happen in the bathroom sinks all the time).

12. LisRiba says:

Not a picture, but did you know there’s an entire product category for “vitamin-enhanced water beverage”s?

It’s not water, it’s not a beverage, it’s a water beverage!