FiOS Swaps Customers' Account Details, Still Won't Fix After 8 Months

Whenever Andru logs into his Verizon FiOS account, he sees the personal information on some other guy’s account, including name, address, email address, last four digits of credit card and social security number. He’s contacted the other guy, and the other guy also sees his. Verizon has said they will fix it in the next 24 hours. They’ve been saying that for the past eight months. This is supposed to be the future of the internet and they can’t even fix a simple account error?

Our Verizon FiOS customer service nightmare: Why won’t they protect my private customer information? [Gear Live]

Comments

1. Freedomboy says:

Sure hope the stalker wannabees don’t read this. Seems like an open and shut case of enabling fraud of some sort.

But there can’t be any others like this, nah,…??????

2. MercuryPDX says:

It’s like “Strangers on a train”.

3. selectman says:

@mercurypdx: Excellent movie. Probably my favorite Hitchcock production. :)

4. darkened says:

I say sue in small claims court for the exact maximum your state allows. And if you so choose, even file criminal charges for fraud against Verizon. I bet that will make them “take it seriously.” I think the lawsuit method will almost guarantee you an easy 4 to $11,000 depending on your state.

5. picshereplz says:

If he read Consumerist, he would know that nothing gets solved until you EECB.

6. picshereplz says:

@darkened: What would be the exact cause of action for recovery on such a suit?

7. PølάrβǽЯ says:

I am NOT a sue-happy person, but knowingly sharing my personal information with a complete stranger for 8 months, and not doing a damn thing about it, would land me and Verizon in front of a judge.

8. loganmo says:

@darkened:

In some states, like where I live in DC, you cannot get declaratory judgements in Small Claims Court. In other words, small claims can only be used for judgements of money-not judgements ordering the defendant to take an action.

I think EECB should be tried first!

9. Joafu says:

Why would you stay with them for so long? 8 months is a long time to put up with a compromised SS number. Is it that good of a service?

10. Buran says:

@Joafu: No kidding! I would have closed the account and left after the first week.

This is VERIZON. Why are people continuing to patronize them? This is more proof that they are just screwups.

11. AmericaTheBrave says:

Sue them in small claims court but don’t ask for them to fix the problem. Instead sue for the maximum allowed by your state and ask for a monetary amount in damages. Verizon will settle, give you the cash, and most likely fix the problem now that they’ve been called on the carpet.

12. Murph1908 says:

@Buran:
    There is evidence to the contrary in a recent Consumerist post regarding a Consumer Reports study.

Shit happens. Though it should take 8 minutes to fix this screwup, not 8 months.

13. MercuryPDX says:

@loganmo: I would say it’s monetary damages for having your personal info “out there”, but realized you actually have to “suffer” from it first before you can collect. The info being available is not enough. The info being available AND someone trashing your credit report with it would be.

14. darkened says:

@AmericaTheBrave: Was exactly what I was going for, verizon will settle and when they settle you can have the terms require them fix the problem.

15. rewinditback says:

i had to an eecb on verizon to get them to correct my billing issues. i fought them for 4 months and once the eecb was launched… fixed within 48 hours.

16. sleze69 says:

@Joafu: Did you RTA? He clearly states that his Fios service is fast and reliable.

17. Me - now with more humidity says:

Call your state’s Attorney General’s office immediately. And the Public Utility Commission. Might even warrant a call to your DA — perhaps Verizon is aiding and abetting identity theft.

18. Hawkins says:

My understanding of the small-claims court process is that you have to prove that you were damaged by the other party, and that the damage cost you actual money.

Furthermore, you need to prove that the actual loss was caused by your abuser.

Example: if you wreck my stuff, and I can prove it, I can pay to have it fixed, and then sue you in small claims for the cost of fixing it.

I’m not sure where the money damages are here. And even if our victim’s personal information were stolen, and expensive identity theft occurred, I think you’d have to prove that the identity thief stole your identity from Verizon, and not from your trash or someplace.

Not to say that Verizon shouldn’t be punished harshly. But I don’t think that small claims court is how it’ll get done.

19. BugMeNot2 says:

long time reader, i have used this email address Mark.D.Reddick@verizon.com provided by this blog with great success, may be Andru should look into it.

20. wedge1212 says:

yeah i used some corporate e-mail addresses found here to get Verizon to fix some cancellation issues. Worked like a charm. Just write a professional and courteous e-mail and it should get fixed.