Great Ad Campaign For… A Cemetery?

These three hilariously morbid print ads are for Mount Pleasant Cemetery in Toronto, by Canadian ad agency ACLC. Although they’re a couple of years old now, it’s probably the first (and only) time we’ve ever seen irreverence brought to the eternally grim concept of funeral pre-planning—we’re not sure any American corporation would have the cojones to try a similar tack.

con_cemeteryad02.jpg

con_cemeteryad03.jpg

con_cemeteryadupclose.jpg Remember, though, that although pre-planning can save you and your family a lot of unnecessary stress later, pre-paying could be a waste of money and often only benefits the funeral home, not you.

“Advertising of note” [Flickr]

RELATED
“Prepaid Funeral Planning: Don’t Do It!”

Comments

1. TechnoDestructo says:

American companies only seem to have any testicles when it comes to following billing errors to their illogical conclusions, rewriting laws to favor no one but themselves, abusing the court system, coming up with bullshit surcharges and fees, and then forcing customers to have to pay them.

They sure have stones when it comes to things like that.

2. kenposan says:

Makes me miss Six Feet Under…

3. ohiomensch says:

Back in the day I worked for a printing company that published a magazine called “Yellow Book” (not that Yellow Book) It was a directory for funeral supplies. One of the funniest ads I ever saw in it was for a cremation oven, with a buxom lass modeling it like it was a Ford Prototype. It had the caption, See you in Vegas. (I guess there is a big trade show there every year. I doubt you would ever see anything like that public tho.

4. lovelygirl says:

Aww that’s cute! I don’t see what’s wrong with this. Death is a fact of life, so why not prepare? And if they don’t advertise, how will people know to go to them?

5. lalala1956 says:

How dare they make fun of death. It is a deathly serious matter.

6. Paul says:

I once attended a funeral in California where the cemetary provided free bottled water that carried cemetary’s name, logo, and information where you would normally see a “Poland Spring” or a “Deer Park.” I spent a good portion of that day wondering if I should be drinking something labeled by a company that would only see profit if I met my demise, and then gathered as many as I could to give to other people as creepy gifts. It’s like viral marketing that makes you worry about virii!

7. Kierst_thara says:

The print company/mailing house that I work at prints and mails a ridiculous amount of pre-arranged funeral ‘surveys’, but they’re not as interesting as these ones. We did have one where they wanted us to print ‘LETS TALK TURKEY!’ on the envelope, which struck me as odd and not particularly appropriate.

8. Angryrider says:

I get the feeling that this company urges you to prepay for a funeral so there won’t be an “accident.”

9. darkened says:

As mentioned always pre-plan never pre-pay your funeral and best way to pay your funeral is a funeral coverage life insurance policy (one that has accelerated death pay out, so it can be used at the funeral home instead of having to wait 6-8 months or more before your family gets the money after having to pay for your funeral on credit cards while waiting)

10. topgun says:

I saved a newspaper ad where a funeral home had coupons available. How can I send it to Consumerist?

11. IrisMR says:

I like horrible humor like that. :)

12. kmacp says:

I live near this cemetary. There’s a sign displayed as you drive by that reads
    “Rest assured
    We have space”

[www.flickr.com]

13. skeleem_skalarm says:

OK, this is funny stuff. Death is taken far too seriously in this country.