AT&T broadband subscribers will now get free access to AT&T wifi hotspots. These are mainly found in Barnes & Noble, McDonald’s, Coffee Bean and Tea Leaf and airports. [AT&T via Gizmodo]

Comments

1. RandoX says:

I’m confused. Don’t most of these places already have free wifi access? (Don’t have a laptop, so don’t really pay that much attention)

2. kittenfoo says:

it always made me a little ticked that mcdonald’s charged for wifi access. does this mean that since i have at&t dsl at home, i can take my laptop to mcdonald’s and use their wifi for free? that’d be kinda cool. i live in a very small town, and there aren’t that many free hot spots.

3. dgcaste says:

@kittenfoo: As long as you eat 20 big macs a week, you can use all the wifi you want. Free, with the exception of the cost on your heart tissue.

4. MakGeek says:

It’s always been free for DSL Elite customers. Just logon to hotspot with your DSL logon and p/w, usually via a separate link for at&t customers on initial logon screen.

5. UpsetPanda says:

B&N doesn’t have free wifi. I used to piggyback off the wifi from CompUSA because it wasn’t protected. Ironic, right? Computer store that doesn’t take the effort to protect its own network.

6. MakGeek says:

@UpsetPanda: Ironic, right? not really, it’s CUSA.

7. @UpsetPanda: Not really considering I walked into Best Buy with my laptop and hopped onto a nice little network with the SSID GeekSquad…

8. ohiomensch says:

Acutally, a lot of airports used to be free but are now pay access. At the Cleveland Airport you have to pay for a minimum 2 hrs access even if you are loggin on for only half an hour.

9. Rando says:

They’re already free to anyone…

10. BlondeGrlz says:

@ohiomensch: Yeah I just discovered Detroit charges too. A-holes.

11. gStein_*|bringing starpipe back|* says:

@dgcaste: defibrilater service extra.

@ohiomensch: TPA airport has free wireless, at least they did last time i flew through there last march…

12. MarkMadsen'sDanceInstructor says:

I have a question, apparently AT&T has 2 types of wifi spots, one called Basic and one called Premium. Do we get access to Premium wifi spots too, or just Basic? This is significant since most of the useful sites for me are listed under “Premium.”

13. wotan says:

Ive been logging in with my AT&T DSL password and username for over a year now. Never have had a problem at any AT&T hotspot that I’ve tried…. Why/how is this news?

14. Craig says:

@wotan: Apparently it’s news to Gizmodo (and hence Consumerist)

15. rhombopteryx says:

AT&T plus free wifi equals a race to see who will intercept your emails first – the other patrons surfing on the unsecured hotspot or the warrantless NSA box at the AT&T central office.

16. BrentNewland says:

Office Depots should all have open wifi – an associate can help set it up. The ssid is odwifi (not broadcasted), with no encryption.

17. puka_pai says:

@UpsetPanda: Actually, a lot of B&Ns have the AT&T wifi as well as the pay T-Mobile one. I used the one at B&N last Friday night, in fact.

I’ve been paying $1.99/mo for access to the AT&T hotspots because that meant I had one of the bundled services required to save me $30/mo on the “pro” level of DSL. Yep, I pay $24/YR to save $30/MO. I’m concerned whether this might change things for me, but I’m not gonna call them and ask and maybe they won’t notice.

18. irv says:

I’ve had free access to AT&T wifi hotspots as part of having DSL Pro, which I get dry-loop (without bundled phone service). It’s been this way for a while now. Dry-loop “pro” is $29/month for me. It’s pretty nice, but I don’t use it often.

19. FLConsumer says:

@puka_pai: Hmm. For $5/mo I’ve been getting unlimited EVDO internet access from Alltel. No need for hot spots here.

@gstein: TPA still is doing free Wifi, no plans to change that that I’ve heard of. JetBlue’s terminal @ JFK also has free WiFi.

20. Ben Popken says:

Brad Mays of Fleishman (AT&T PR firm) writes:

“Kittenfoo: Yes, if you are an AT&T DSL subscriber of at least a 1.5 Mbps tier, you can now access WiFi for free at your local McDonalds, as long as they offer WiFi access.

Jeff From LA: This offer is for basic wifi service, which is available at 10K locations nationwide. The cost to access premium hotspots (roaming locations) typically is $9.99 for DSL subscribers, $19.99 for non-DSL subscribers.

Wotan: The news here is that now all AT&T DSL subscribers can experience the benefits of free wifi. Previously this capability was only offered to higher-tier subscribers. The free Wi-Fi offer will be available to new and existing customers who subscribe to any of AT&T’s broadband services with downstream speeds of up to 1.5 Mbps, 3.0 Mbps, or 6.0 Mbps. Free Wi-Fi access was initially provided to the company’s higher-speed broadband customers last year.”