Mann Free Movie Tickets Settlement Requires Your Credit Card Number

Between December 2006 and January 2007, Mann Theatres in Southern California printed the expiration dates of credit cards on receipts. If you were one of the lucky suckers who saw a movie there during this period and paid via credit card, Mann’s lawyers want to make things right by giving you two free movie tickets and some free popcorn. However, to qualify for the free tickets, you have to provide your credit card number. This is like the end of “The Lion King” where the new cub is held aloft—the circle of life continues.

(Thanks to David!)

“Mann Theatres owes you free tickets and popcorn” [Metroblogging Los Angeles]

RELATED
www.manntheatressettlement.com

Comments

1. headon says:

Mann oh Mann. Deja Vu

2. JustAGuy2 says:

Honestly, this seems reasonable. How else will they know that you were affected, and hence qualify?

3. What kind of popcorn? Are they trying to offload all of the diacetyl popcorn they have in storage?

4. shadow735 says:

well lets think about that, why would they need the credit card you used? Maybe to verify that you actually bought a ticket between those time frames.If they didnt they would be giving out free tickets to everyone that said ME, ME, ME!! I dont know about you but I know I bought tickets in that time frame but I dont make a habit of keeping my ticket stubs, or receipts.
    Besides who cares anyway, I always check my accounts for charges I didnt make on each statment and to date that amt is ZERO.

5. Shaggy says:

So that means they have my credit card number on file…. Great.

6. scoosdad says:

But it’s only the expiration date… why should I care if they print a month-slash-year on my receipt? The original article didn’t say that they published the expiration date and the full card number.

7. stephenjames716 says:

a better question is why would you go to Mann’s theater when the arclight is just 5 min from there? I just moved back from LA to NY and am so spoiled from going to the arclight….I don’t even want to go to theaters anymore because nothing can compare to that environment/service.

8. stanfrombrooklyn says:

I saw this great movie there once. These 3 guys from the Navy washed up naked ashore on a desert island and were met by these other male savages and then…oh, crap I thought you said the Man theatre. You meant the Mann.

9. Buran says:

Can you give them a one-time card number with a limit of one cent that expires as soon as your issuer lets you?

10. rustyni says:

@sws211: Most places that you use your credit or debit card keep the number on file unfortunantly.

11. mac-phisto says:

@JustAGuy2, shadow735: i’m sure they could just review their database, instead of asking for a card…if it has card numbers that can be compared, then it also has name/address info. here’s a question though – what if my card has since been replaced? does that mean i no longer qualify?

sadly, i think this is just a scheme to minimize the settlement pot. who wants to provide cc info to a company that has to give you free shit b/c they don’t follow the rules in processing your cc info?

@scoosdad: well, it violates policies set forth by the networks. expiration dates may not seem like a big thing, but they are an integral part of the approval process. if merchants weren’t so lax about following the rules (& the networks weren’t so lax enforcing them), there certainly would be much less fraud out there.

12. GothamGal says:

@stephenjames716:

You are so right. It may be the only thing that I miss about LA when I leave.

13. legotech says:

@stephenjames716: I totally agree, I qualify (the last Harry Potter was playing there and not the Arclight) but its not even worth it for free tix…the place is crumbling, the staff rude, and you are paying a premium and STILL have to fight for a seat…If I’m paying a premium anyway, I’d rather have the reserved seat and REAL BUTTER at the Arclight.

14. shadow735 says:

its easier to scan ur card then to look up your name, besides depending on their filing system they may just have your card info not your name or address.

15. lovelygirl says:

lol, what an endless cycle. I don’t think that they mean anything malicious, they probably will just have it easier if they use the credit card number, but who cares if its easier for them? They made the mistake so they have to fix it for everyone even if they have to bend over backwards to do so.

16. Erasmus Darwin says:

@Buran: The problem with that is that a newly generated one-time number wouldn’t match the number from the incident, which is presumably what they’re comparing against.

@mac-phisto: I think you’re reading too much into it, and given them your CC # again isn’t nearly as scary as you’re making it out to be. Sure having your credit card number stolen isn’t fun, but most incidents aren’t that bad. In contrast, full-blown identity theft, where someone starts taking out new credit in your name and trashes your credit rating, is an absolute nightmare. So I could see being worried if Mann’s was asking for an SSN, but a CC # really isn’t that big of a deal.