NFL Shop Sends You Their Catalog In A Huge Box

This is just madness, I tell you:

I would like to add another story to companies using boxes to send small items or in this case, boxes to send a catalog. I recently ordered a free catalog from NFLShop.com. I was thinking like any catalog, it would come as is with my name and address printed on the back. This morning I got a knock on the door from a Postal Worker holding a cardboard box with my name on it. Funny, I wasn’t expecting any packages in the mail. I opened up the box and yup, it was the NFLShop catalog I had requested online. It seemed odd to put a free catalog in a box. It also came with a packing slip and a return label.

Another thing, when I was filling out my address online to receive the catalog (last week), it’s almost like I was purchasing merchandise. After filling in my shipping info, the site goes to a Payment screen and asked for my credit card information. I wasn’t about to give them my credit card info for a free catalog and somehow by refreshing the page or going back, the credit card screen disappeared and my ‘order’ was confirmed. I don’t really know how I bypassed it.

Anyway, I’ve attached a couple pictures. One of the catalog in the box as it arrived and one of the packing slip. FYI – the catalog is only 24 pages and it’s dated October 2007…so very thin and outdated. Not what I expected.

The best part about the packing slip is that it had a return shipping label so that you could send the catalog back if you didn’t like it. stupidshipping.jpg

Comments

1. youbastid says:

On a side note, if you’re savvy enough to be using the interwebs to order catalogs, aren’t you savvy enough to just view the catalog online?

2. evslin says:

@youbastid: Maybe they were out of reading material for the bathroom.

3. cswinter says:

NHL does the same thing. Is this the kind of efficiency that MBAs get you these days?

4. ptkdude says:

I’m about to move and need boxes. I should order a few catalogs and notebook “clits”.

5. jaya9581 says:

I also received one of their catalogs in a box just prior to Christmas last year. It also contained one of those big plastic air bubbles to prevent movement. I had the same issue on the “payment” screen – I just clicked “continue” without entering any information and it let me go through.

I ordered my husband a Patriots jersey for Christmas, and interestingly it came folded impossibly tiny and stuffed into a box SMALLER THAN THE BOX THE CATALOG CAME IN.

Oh well. GO PATS!!!

6. forever_knight says:

i have to say that the Consumerist is doing some good with this issue. it is stupid and just plain wasteful for companies to use the packing material and resources to transport mostly empty boxes!

keep up the good work!

7. PølάrβǽЯ says:

And the true irony is, catalogs can be sent via Postal Mail, SANS PACKAGING! That’s right, people, you can MAIL a totally NAKED catalog! It’s GENIUS, I tell you!

8. joemono says:

So is their catalog in their catalog?

9. ColoradoShark says:

Could this be a marketing ploy to look like you received something wonderful so you can’t wait to open it? Would it be more likely to just be tossed with junk mail if it was sent “naked”?

10. notlazyjustdontcare says:

Let’s limit the “huge box, tiny product” posts to a daily digest, please.

11. Buran says:

@notlazyjustdontcare: Let’s not, so as to continue the shaming and make things change.

12. astrochimp says:

I, for one, request more big box stories. I just can’t get enough.

13. drawp says:

I ordered 4 hats from the NFL shop that were insanely cheap. I was too late in ordering and my order was canceled. Lo and behold, a box showed up in a week or so.

Before I opened the box, I thought I’d actually gotten the hats! Imagine the disappointment of finding 4 catalogs inside. -_

14. unklegwar says:

As long as I’m here. Another treat about NFL shop:

My brother ordered me a customized jersey. They sent it in the wrong size.

When he complained, he was told they wouldn’t process a return because customized items are not returnable.

Yup, even if they screwed up the order. Good thing I lost some weight.