Martha Stewart Takes Lead Poisoning Seriously

WHO: Martha Stewart Omnimedia
WHAT: A family has filed a federal lawsuit against Martha Stewart’s company and Sears Holdings after they say their children suffered mental impairment and other side effects from lead poisoning after using Martha Stewart dinnerware.
WHERE: Lower Burrell Couple Sues Martha Stewart’s Company [KDKA](Thanks, Martin!)
THE QUOTE:“We take consumer product safety very seriously. We do not comment on pending litigation.”

Comments

1. whirlybird says:

Hey, now. They take it *very* seriously. That’s a much more responsible position than merely taking it seriously.

2. I have the same symptoms after viewing/listening to Martha. Does that count?

3. Greasy Thumb Guzik says:

Gee, I wonder what country the plates were made in?

4. NightSteel says:

Let me first say that if those kids did indeed get poisoned from the Martha Stewart dinnerware, then that family deserves to be compensated somehow (I’ll leave how much up to the professionals). But, the reason I’m posting is because I think that it sucks that the company can’t even offer some sort of condolence to the family over their troubles. I mean, it’d seem so much more human if they were to say something like, our sympathies are with this family as they go through this difficult time, and we will get to the bottom of this. But they can’t do that because people would either 1. take that as an admission of liability, or 2. take it as an empty sentiment. ‘Taking it seriously’ is just so clinical.

5. warf0x0r says:

So is this whole “Taking is Seriously” collection of articles meant to highlight the fact that if they really did “Take it Seriously” it never would have happened?

6. If God and China didn’t want us to eat/touch lead, he/they would not have created it and put it on/in everything.

7. m4ximusprim3 says:

Finally, undeniable evidence that martha does use her own products.

On a more serious note, I’m always curious how the family proves this sort of thing- did they have everything in their house tested for lead and only the plates came up positive? Not that I don’t believe them, just idle curiosity.

8. m4ximusprim3 says:

Also, whats with the lead, china?

Does anyone know how lead gets in all of this stuff? I mean, I would understand if they were cleaning the floors with some crazy chemical and it got in everything, but why is lead so common?

9. NotATool says:

Ha. Sears found a way to screw up dinnerware. Way to go Sears.

10. NotATool says:

@M4XIMUSPRIM3: Lead is a common chemical used to make pigments (old house paint, non-food safe ceramic glaze, etc.). It’s also used as some kind of softening agent in some vinyl products (chrismas light standss, baby bibs).

FWIW, I tested my christmas light strands for lead just to see if my lead test kit worked. The kit clearly worked.

11. SuperJdynamite says:

Why does the graphic say “[w]e do not comment on pending litigation,” but the accompanying text has the quote as “we do not comment on pending legislation.”?

12. Landru says:

Typo Alert:

THE QUOTE:”We take consumer product safety very seriously. We do not comment on pending legislation.”

It’s “litigation, not “legislation”. Whatever happened to old fashioned cut and paste?

13. harshmellow says:

Martha and her company take consumer product safety very seriously. However, we take pending litigation very seriouslier.

14. framitz says:

Can we believe anything a convicted liar says? I don’t believe for one second that Martha Stewarts company cares at all except for getting caught selling contaminated product.

I once asked a sociopath if he was sorry about the crime he committed, his response; “I’m sorry I got caught”.

15. harshmellow says:

@harshmellow: I meant THEY take pending…

joke failed

16. CityGuySailing says:

Guess what? The lead poisoning thing is crappola. You would have to actually eat MANY of the utensils to garner any blood metrics at all. The lead scares all came from images of little children eating peeling lead paint chips that came from walls and windowsills in the NYC tenements. Even THAT was crappola.

17. harshmellow says:

@CityGuySailing: What do you mean, “the lead poisoning thing is crappola?” The whole thing? You’re saying that lead isn’t and never has been a health problem? Someone just made all this up?

I think I will bet against you.

18. UpsetPanda says:

@CityGuySailing: You have to actually eat the utensils or eat OFF OF the utensils?

19. t-spoon says:

I used to live in Lower Burrell and let me tell you, those kids were likely already stupid.

20. CityGuySailing says:

Just to clarify: You would have to EAT, CONSUME, SWALLOW, the utensils themselves to acquire ANY blood metrics from the lead in them. Seriously, think about it: How much of a spoon comes off in your mouth while using it to eat ice cream? Answer: None, nada, nothing. If any did, pretty soon the METAL spoons would disappear. Certainly, lead is health problem, but in quantities FAR greater than can possibly be obtained from USING utensils, and over a FAR greater period. The saying is: it’s the dose that makes the poison. Seriously people, do a little critical thinking ONCE IN A WHILE.

21. harshmellow says:

@CityGuySailing: I think people here do a little more than “a little critical thinking once in a while.”

And since we’re rudely pointing out stuff with FUCKING CAPS LOCK, let me do my share:

The post AND THE ARTICLE don’t mention anything about SPOONS or SILVERWARE. They actually talk about DINNERWARE, which have PAINT ON THEM. The PAINT is what has THE LEAD IN IT. Either you should GET THE LEAD SPOONS out of your mouth or your should READ ONCE IN A WHILE. Why don’t you start with the post above? Or maybe the article it is linked to, which also clearly states that it is the DINNERWARE we are talking about here, not spoons or utensils.

22. TangDrinker says:

I believe the story was not about utensils (spoons, forks, etc), but the plates and other dishes used to hold the food eaten that may have been contaminated with lead from the pattern on the plates. I’m no chemist, but I have to wonder if microwaving/dishwashing the dishes might have weakened the glaze somehow and caused the lead to leech.

I’m sorry for the family.

23. lovelygirl says:

How do they know that the lead didn’t come from one of the boys’ toys or even the paint on their walls? That’s another blow to Martha’s attempts to brand her products as high-class, luxury items.

24. nrwfos says:

This article (particularly since the “celeb”involved is Martha Stewart) shows why I hate all these “famous” having brands of their own. I particularly dislike MS.
    She seems to be so teflonized. Even after serving a few months in jail, she can pick up right where she left off before her incarceration and be a TV personality and critic and “trend setter” all the while she’s making big bucks putting her name on all kinds of household items. Never mind that the reason she was incarcerated was for a fairly minor issue that most people wouldn’t understand…almost anyone else who went to jail for any reason would be stigmatized by it, and no one would want to buy anything with their name on it from them/her. I would run from her merchandise like a deer being chased by a cougar. This lack of knowledge of what is in her stuff is why.

25. Scudder says:

@lovelygirl: Are you serious? What is remotely high-class or luxury about ANY item purchased at Kmart or Sears? Just putting her products in those stores blows Martha’s image at creating luxe goods.

In addition, regardless if the kids’ toys had lead…if the dinnerware contained the metal it’s a safe bet that it was a source of ingestion. It does not excuse the fact that lead does not belong in any item that is to be used with food.

26. shertzerj says:

Keep these articles coming. For some reason I find it more and more hilarious after each one :) I can’t say the phrase “taking it seriously” without a straight face anymore.

27. lovelygirl says:

@Scudder– I do not think that any of her products are high class! I did not make myself clear. Martha Stewart has been trying to make her products seem high-class, pushing the quality and craftsmanship since she got out of jail(this was in a press release that I read). I for sure don’t think her products are luxury in any way!

28. inkhead says:

misquoted!!

“We FAKE consumer product safety very seriously. We do not comment on pending litigation.”