Correction:

A Panasonic fat cat (and probably also a big wig) wrote in to let us know that Panasonic does indeed make a Blu-ray player that can play 1.1 Blu-ray discs: “The current Panasonic model available (DMP-BD30) is based on version 1.1 (BonusView) and capable of playing Blu-ray discs offering the added interactive features such as PiP.”

Comments

1. Oh, I forgot “muckety-muck.”

2. MightyPen says:

Yeah, this player has been out for a few months already. I have one, its pretty good. Burning cds for firmware is a bit ridiculous though.

3. AlteredBeast (blaming the OP one article at a time.) says:

I think HD content on discs in general is a bit ridiculous. Digital distribution FTW.

4. mantari says:

I’m scared that a version 1.2 or 2.0 will come out, and then I’d have an incompatible player.

5. davebg5 says:

A couple of things:

1) Gizmodo recently reviewed the BD1.1 spec by comparing a PS3 w/recent firmware upgrade and (I think) this Panasonic player. Gizmodo’s verdict? Go w/the PS3…largely due to the fact that Sony pushes frequent firmware updates and the fact that the PS3 and this player cost about the same (but you get more functionality w/the PS3).

2) Also, I believe that this Panasonic player also has an ethernet connection. *Presumably* any BluRay player w/an ethernet connection *should* be able to handle future updates to the BD spec…as long as the updates are solely software based and do not involve any changes to the hardware specs.

6. Canadian Impostor says:

@AlteredBeast: I would much rather own a physical disc than own a nebulous movie downloaded from the ether.

7. AlteredBeast (blaming the OP one article at a time.) says:

@Canadian Impostor: While I agree, I feel more comfortable owning a physcial disc than having purchased digital content, in this case owning a physical disc really has no benifit. Unless many of your friends also have HD players (and the same HD format, no less) chances are you will be using it excusivley at home. Also, when you start having some physical discs not compatible with some physical players, the whole structure starts falling apart. As well as some movies being available on some formats, but not others…there is really nothing appealing about owning phsycial HD movies other than showing them off in a physical collection to guests.

With digital distribution, you can play it back on hardware the same cost (or cheaper) than an HD movie player, purchase or rent HD content far cheaper than owning a physical disc, and not have to worry about it being compatable with your player as your player is connected to the content distributer. You also don’t have to worry about the disc ever being damaged or stolen.

8. Nytmare says:

“Bonus View” is apparently a subset of BD-J, which is the inclusion of Java onto Blue-ray players. It’s supposed to add interactivity features such as “more dynamic menu systems” and internet connectivity.

As if current regular-DVD menu behavior isn’t unique and squirrelly enough.

9. ColoradoShark says:

@Chris Walters: That would be “high mucky-muck”.