Phishers Turn To Text Messages

Phishers are now turning to text messages to get people to fork over their personal banking information. Con artists targeting southwest Missouri sent text messages to hundreds of cellphone users, telling them that their bank account expired and directing them to a fake website with a URL containing the bank’s name. There the website captured the login and password of anyone who logged in. Phishers will use any medium they can. If you receive a message purporting to be from your bank and you’re not sure if it’s legit, call your bank directly to verify its authenticity

Con artists turn to text messaging [News-Leader via Consumer World Blog]
(Photo: Joi)

Comments

1. MattO says:

ridiculous people fall for these things…..my bank doesnt even have my cell phone number…and i am sure many other people are in the same boat…yet they have no problem believing a text from their “bank”

2. Starfury says:

People are going to fall for this. Why?

You can’t fix stupid.

3. Shadowman615 says:

I would think you can pretty much safely ignore *every* text message you get.

4. The Great Aussie Evil says:

@Shadowman615: You still have to pay for receiving the text messages.

5. Canadian Impostor says:

I wouldn’t bother calling the bank about stuff like this. Just be sure to only ever go directly to their website. If Bank of America emails you about something, close the email and type in “www.bankofamerica.com” or whatever.

6. dgcaste says:

@Shadowman615: And some companies like Verizon send you relevant messages, such as automatic payment deductions, getting close to the minute or TXT message limit, amongst others.

7. Shadowman615 says:

@dgcaste: Sure, but all of that information is available elsewhere, and requires no action on your part.

8. Shadowman615 says:

@The Great Aussie Evil: Yeah, there really needs to be a way to block incoming text messages. A blacklist or whitelist method, or even the option of blocking all text messages.

I use T-Mobile, and the only thing available seems to be the ability to block messages originating from the web.

9. @Starfury: It really is THAT simple.

10. LikeYourFace says:

@Shadowman615: Then again, my run-by-monkeys credit union actually used email to tell me about security related changes to their website.

11. Spamwich says:

@Shadowman615:
    Ditty for Telus Mobility, I had the same problem a few months ago.

12. KillingMyBrainCells says:

If you are dumb enough to fall for it, then you deserve to have your money taken!!!

13. Spamwich says:

@KillingMyBrainCells: Some people are not well informed and that doesn’t make stealing from them acceptable. Also, the obviously larcenous nature of the message doesn’t make it any less of a nuisance.

14. Raiden47 says:

I’m sorry, but if someone is stupid enough to simply say “Okay” to this, then they ALMOST (not entirely) deserve to have things stolen (or rather, they deserve to have a scare or two). First off, if you do not even have the sense to ask “How did they get my cell #” (if you didn’t give it to them..), “and why are they texting me instead of calling my house or mailing me?”, etc., you should not have the internet enabled on your phone, or be doing any of your own banking.

Always Ask questions, never simply go along with whatever it is someone tells you.

15. shadow735 says:

“You cant fix Stupid” hah hah hah, OMG that is so true, if anyone is stupid enough to provide thier info thru a text message then they deserve to learn the hard way that thinking (by utilizing your brain cells) is very important.

16. lovelygirl says:

I rarely get text messages and I know not to fall for that phishing stuff. But does it really cost you to receive that text, if it’s coming from a “commercial” company as opposed to your friend down the street? I don’t see why I should have to pay for unsolicited phishing texts! That’s my 15 cents, thankyouverymuch!

17. OminousG says:

All 5 phones on my T-Mobile account got a spam message from GTE credit Union.
    We don’t use GTE.

So I went to the site(gtefcuservices.com), and there on the main page its telling me that my account is locked. I didn’t even try to log in and its telling my account is locked and I need to supply all my personal information to unlock it.

People who fall for these scams deserve to lose their money. Fucking morons.

18. wHATEver says:

Latecomer to the party: here in the North Texas area, someone has got their hate on for a local bank (called Point Bank, which is not related to a similarly-named bank elsewhere in the country). Some of us here have by now received at least five voice mail spams (vpams?), over ten e-mail spams, and now at least one text spam, all aimed at getting Point Bank account info. I’m not sure if I’d chalk this up to an opportunistic spammer, a disgruntled former account holder, or someone trying to manipulate the value of the company.