Rob, the Director of Public Relations for Taco Bell, writes in to let us know that the nutritional information on the “Fresco Menu” is correct.

The nutritional information calculator on Taco Bell’s website “inadvertently includes red strips” when it calculates the info for the Fresco Zesty Chicken Border Bowl. The actual bowl contains 8g of fat and 350 calories, as advertised. Rob says: “Appreciate you bringing this to our attention as we are currently working to fix it.” [Consumerist]

Comments

1. new and troubling questions says:

Wow, apparently “red strips” aren’t so nutritious.

2. manok says:

red colored salt.

3. Narb copied that floppy says:

Note to self: avoid Red Strips.

4. Falconfire says:

Funny i brought this to there attention months ago and thats what they told me too…

5. adambadam says:

How about a hand to Taco Bell for being a little proactive and addressing the issue…

6. Adam291 says:

Red strip? The hell is a red strip, and why is it so unhealthy? Are there red strip trees? Red strip vines? Is there a red strip part of a cow or chicken? Are there red strips swimming around in the ocean?

7. MercuryPDX says:

Take the Blue Pil….errrr Strips!

8. Grrrrrrr, now with two buns made of bacon. says:

Red strips is people! Eeeeeeeeeeeeeeeee!

(Seriously, what ARE “red strips?”)

9. chiieddy says:

And people wonder why I won’t eat at Taco Bell? WTF are red strips?

10. mschlock says:

They are little fried red tortilla chip garnishes. There, I answered the burning question of the moment.

11. Falconfire says:

@mschlock: you forgot to add they are like coated in salt

12. 92BuickLeSabre says:

I like this thread because it reminds me of getting in an elevator where everybody pushes “1″ or “L” when they get on, as though that will make it get there faster.

And thanks mschlock, because honestly, I was about to ask too.

13. goodkitty says:

Yeah, I’d like a medium Green Bowl, a side of Red Strips, and how about a small Yellow Triangle to go with that? To drink? Um… how about Purple Juice?

14. Good Cop Baby Cop says:

But are they taking it seriously?

15. chrisgoh says:

@92BuickLeSabre: The elevators in my building are timed to stay open x number of seconds when they stop at a floor unless a button is pushed. If I get on and my destination floor is already selected, pushing the button anyway WILL cause the door to close sooner and hence get me to my destination quicker.

16. XianZomby says:

Lime Seasoned Red Strips
    Red Strips: White Corn Flour, Water, Fumaric Acid, Cellulose Gum, Preservatives (Sodium Propionate, Sorbic Acid), Coloring (Dextrose, Carmine, Maltodextrin, FD & C Yellow #6 Lake), And Trace of Lime. Lime Seasoning: Sugar, Dextrose, Maltodextrin, Breadcrumbs [Wheat Flour (Enriched With Niacin, Reduced Iron, Thiamine Mononitrate, Riboflavin, Folic Acid), Corn Syrup, Salt, Partially Hydrogenated Soybean Oil, Yeast), Natural Flavors, Salt, Onion Powder, Garlic Powder, Paprika, Citric Acid, Spice, Disodium Inosinate And Disodium Guanylate, Parsley, Extractives of Turmeric, Not More Than 2% Calcium Silicate Added To Prevent Caking. Oil: High Oleic Low Linolenic Canola Oil, TBHQ (to protect flavor), Dimethylpolysiloxane (an antifoaming agent). CONTAINS WHEAT, GLUTEN

And for comparison, the yellow chip itself. Besides the lime seasoning and the red coloring, they are nearly identical.

Nacho Chips
    White Corn Flour, Water, Fumaric Acid, Cellulose Gum, Preservatives (Sodium Propionate, Sorbic Acid), And A Trace Of Lime. Oil: High Oleic Low Linolenic Canola Oil, TBHQ (to protect flavor), Dimethylpolysiloxane (an antifoaming agent).

17. 92BuickLeSabre says:

@chrisgoh: Interesting. Then I will immediately return to my button-pushing ways.

18. Codis says:

what’s funny is people will order this garbage at taco bell thinking they’re eating something healthy. Not realizing that the amount of sodium in these items is enough to kill a small animal.

19. Falconfire says:

@Codis: Not true, while 740 grams of sodium SEEMS high, its about a 1/3 your recommended daily intake, which for a meal this size, makes sense.

Some of the other Fresco stuff is high though.

20. jeff303 says:

I think red strips may qualify as “food product”: [www.goanimal.com]

21. m4ximusprim3 says:

This whole topic seems kinda ridiculous. Agonizing over the nutritional information at Taco Bell is like wondering how sharp the edge on your guillotine blade is.

If you’re there, you’ve already lost.