Target’s in-house brand, Archer Farms, is going trans-fat free this year, announced the company today. The private label has over 2,000 products and “will be the first national store brand to eliminate added trans fats from its entire product line.” “Now please,” begged the CEO, “Come back and shop at our stores. It’s not like we’re Sears.” [Reuters]

Comments

1. parad0x360 says:

Who cares, the Target brand food (Archer Farms and Market Pantry) are nasty tasting junk.

2. swalve says:

@parad0x360: Like what? I find it to be some of the best tasting store brand foods out there. What products didn’t you like?

3. Brie says:

I’m happy about the transfat-free bit and I love Target but yeah, Archer Farms is a miss – dry, generic, boring. I think I bought one of their bottled waters once and even that tasted flat.

BTW, no one in the branding dept thought “choxie” sounded like “chalky”? Which, sadly, a lot of that chocolate is.

4. invaderzim says:

Archer Farms chips are fantastic.

I don’t think CHOXIE is a Target brand. It’s a brand sold at Target – and also some of the best chocolate you can get at a retail store.

5. MightyPen says:

I assumed they had already taken the tasty fat out of the product…

6. Elijah-M says:

@invaderzim: I second that. Their chips are indeed fantastic.

@mightypen: Hydrogenated oils (trans-fat) and non-hydrogenated oils are identical in taste. The hydrogenated oils are just cheaper.

7. msquared says:

Archer Farms’ chips are my favorite kind of chips… I haven’t had anything else, but damn do I love the chips.

8. dukerayburn says:

Archer Farms makes some great stuff, and a lot of it is very unusual for a store brand. Quinoa salads, semi-tasty risottos, lots of other things. The Maui Onion chips, though, are the real stars in my book.

9. TangDrinker says:

They also have chicken sausages with no preservatives, nitrates or nitrites. And they taste pretty good, too. Their store brand wheat bread also contains no HFCS, the “Special ingredient” found in nearly all other packaged multigrain bread. Thank you, Target.

10. brendahamLincoln says:

*gnaws on a lemon straw cookie from archer farms*

Tastes good to me!

11. evslin says:

I dig the tikka masala sauce personally… just as good as the stuff I had to cart all the away across town to the World Market for.

And the bagged salad. Mmm, salad.

12. overbysara says:

every archer farms item I have purchased is nasty.

speaking of sears… I have actually had UNBELIEVABLY simple and pleasant customer service experiences with them recently…

13. MARTHA__JONES says:

@invaderzim: I actually like Choxie, but clearly you have not tasted a Ritter bar – coincidentally also available at Target although they are imported from Europe.

14. fizzyg says:

They have really good enchilada sauce, and it’s one of the few pre-made versions you can buy without hfcs or msg in it.

15. swalve says:

@Elijah-M: In fact, trans fats probably have less flavor than the natural oils it replaces, as trans fats generally replace hard fats like butter, lard, tallow and coconut oil. It is an INFERIOR replacement. But it is cheaper and more stable, so cheap-ass fried goods can last on the shelf longer.

16. Salads? My local Targets have really small grocery sections and don’t carry salads. I’ve gotta find some of those onion potato chips, but the Archer Farms Parmesean Garlic chips are wonderful. Also, their Creme Brulee cookies are nice.

17. elangomatt says:

@MissedTheExit: I don’t know what Archer Farms water you had, but I think Archer Farms water is one of the best actually. It has no bad after taste at all like Aquafina and Dasani water. And how can plain water taste flat?

18. Grrrrrrr, now with two buns made of bacon. says:

@MARTHA__JONES: Mmmm…Ritter dark chocolate with marzipan….*drool.* Choxie isn’t bad but not anything to write home about IMHO.

19. asherchang2 says:

Their white chocolate chip and lime cookies are way too f-ing tart.

20. carolat says:

I love Target, but I don’t purchase food there. It is a department store — for some reason, having bagged salad next to floor lamps seems wrong. Nordstrom canned beans… now that’s something I could get behind.

21. Merkin says:

This is good news. Now if they’d only make high-fructose corn syrup next on their hit list. Their highly addictive pistachio cherry dark chocolate granola bars, those delicious little salty-sweet rascals, are the only thing keeping me from being totally HFCS-free.

22. Charles says:

Dude, the Archer Farms frozen perogies are fierce little morsels of awesome.

23. HeartBurnKid says:

@Elijah-M: Actually, it’s that the hydrogenated oils have a longer shelf life.