Sony has agreed to sell its songs DRM-free on the Amazon MP3 store, completing the set—now all four big record companies are on board. It’s amazing how a little iTunes competitiveness will bring a bunch of executives together. [New York Times]

Comments

1. I Will Not Stop Feeding My Fat Baby says:

I’ve started using the Amazon MP3 store this week. It’s pretty good! Integrates nicely with the iTunes player. I’m wondering how long it will be before iTunes goes DRM-free.

2. chrisgeleven says:

iTunes is already DRM-free (well, part of it). It is called iTunes Plus and any music that is part of iTunes Plus has the + symbol next to the $0.99 price.

The problem is some of the big record labels have a rocky relationship with Apple, so they won’t let Apple sell DRM-free tracks.

Universal supposedly was trying DRM-free on a trial basis with Amazon until January, which is now. So I suspect next week at Macworld there will be at least one new major label on iTunes Plus.

3. junkmail says:

Great job, Sony! Now dump the crappy restrictions on your ebooks, then we’ll talk.

4. MyCokesBiggerThanYours says:

This may sound like a win for consumers, but all it means is that without iTunes music companies are going to jack up the price of individual songs. Never forget – the music industry are not in the red, they are very profitable. This is just an expression of their greed.

5. MyCokesBiggerThanYours says:

@I Will Not Stop Feeding My Fat Baby: Apple has DRM free songs. Apple didnt choose DRM, it was forced on them but the music industry.

6. crymson_07 says:

Now that the players are all in line, can we get them to sign bands that don’t suck?

7. night_sky says:

Wow, awesome news. I always preferred Amazon over iTunes anyway.

8. S-the-K says:

Wasn’t it Sony’s General Counsel who said that burning a CD — purchased, owned, and in your possession — for your own personal use in your own personal MP3 player was piracy?

If so, how are they reconciling these two disparate concepts? How can buying a CD and ripping to MP3 for personal use piracy, but buying the same tracks online for personal use not piracy?