Reader Pries Price Drop Refund From Dell's Claws

Reader Keith just bought a Dell computer last week. Right after he bought it, the price dropped $60. He wanted Dell to give him $60 back. The basic customer service reps he called “couldn’t/wouldn’t do anything,” so he ended up calling the returns department. There he met with success and got his money back. Good on ya! So remember, if you can’t get in the front door, trying going the side door. Sometimes you’ll have more luck calling a different number than the standard 1-800 line.

Comments

1. stopNgoBeau says:

…and if you can’t get it around the side door, try the back door :-)

2. Curiosity says:

It seems like you have to duck, roll, weave, and bob too. Lucky guy.

3. @curiosity: Dodge, Duck, Dip, Dive & Dodge

4. Buran says:

Good grief. Pathetic. Good job!

What’s their price drop policy? I once saw the price drop on an iPod after I bought it; I checked, and there was a 10-day price match policy. Called, got it issued hassle-free. This was Apple, of course. Not sure what’s up with Dell, but they do jave notoriously bad support.

5. dohtem says:

Folks on slickdeals have known this for years. Because the computers are usually made to order, it costs them time, money and manpower when you return it. If they are not being flexible, threaten to return and they’ll change their tone.

Hell people call and pretend to return just so they can get a freebie offers. I’ve heard of Dell offering discounts on them item, gift coupons good for future purchases, etc.

6. VaMPKiSS1 says:

@GitEmSteveDave: @curiosity:

Up, Up, Down, Down, Left, Right, Left, Right, A, B, Start?

7. balthisar says:

@Buran: Same deal for me at Apple with my iMac. Even better, it was the [my company] Store, refurbed only! “Sure, sir, you’ll see the credit in a couple o’ days.”

8. drscott46 says:

I actually just had the same exact thing happen earlier this week. I used Dealcatcher to configure and order a Dell desktop, then the next day after the purchase was made, I noticed that they’d dropped the price of the exact same package by $30. (It was a drop in the retail base price, not a sale.) So I decided to try Dell’s live customer service chat, and the guy credited my card the money without any complaint.

9. socalrob of the 24 and a half century says:

Why would you buy from Dell anyhow? I worked for them, their PC’s are propriatary crap boxes. Their higher end laptops are good. Just go to some big box electronics retailer and get a laptop. Best Buy sucks but sometimes has great deals on laptops if you look hard enough.

10. iamme99 says:

I tried this at buy.com a few months back. The price dropped the day after I ordered it, I hadn’t even received it yet. I demanded they rebate me the difference. Was refused up the line. So I declined the package when it arrived. They tried to ship it to me again with no signature required, leaving it at my door. I brought it back to Fed-Ex and declined it again. Finally got my full refund from them. And they lost a customer permanently.

11. richtaur says:

A few years ago I bought a set of golf clubs from Target for $140. A little over a month later they went on sale for $90. I went in with my clubs and the $90 advertisement, and was refused because Target would only refund the difference of advertised prices within 30 days. So I asked how long the return policy was: 90 days. Yay loophole! Using my original receipt, I returned the clubs for $140, then immediately purchased them again for $90, and happily left $50 richer.

12. Rusted says:

@socalrob: Build your own desktop and get name brand parts….inside.

13. thalia says:

This is why I use Pricedrop to watch items on Amazon and such. I bought an iMac and the price dropped three times in the next month, and all three times Amazon gave me a refund with no questions asked :)

14. socalrob of the 24 and a half century says:

@Rusted:
    Yeah, I do. Last time I bought a tower was for my mom who needed a cheap tower quick. Got an emachines, and worked 5 years till the PSU blew a couple months ago. She’s now using my 7 year old PC I custom built and its working great for her. All my PC’s except for laptops are all custom built. Same for my friends.

Branded PC’s are lame unless you need a $199 PC for your aunt who cant work the microwave.