Verizon is now offering 7.1Mbps downstream, 768kbps upstream DSL, but only to new customers. [Broadband Reports] (Thanks, Edju!)

Comments

1. m4nea says:

lol @ current verizon subscribers!

2. Electroqueen says:

I’ll pass. I have their $15 deal, at least it gets the job done.
    I’m awaiting internet service to rival Hong Kong in its deals.

3. zacwight says:

I’m sure I’m not the only one who gets annoyed by companies not allowing existing customers to get their new offerings.

4. Mariajl says:

From internet to cell phones to cable: How come new customers get the great deals — but loyal, long-time customers always get zip?

5. firesign says:

of course you’ll never actually get anywhere near 7.1m downstream unless you actually live in the same structure as your local phone switch. figure more like 4.

6. teh says:

@zacwight: There is absolutely nothing preventing you from calling them up and renegotiating for that “new customers only” deal. If they think you might actually take your business elsewhere, they do have an incentive to offer the deal to you.

7. FLConsumer says:

@teh: This is Verizon we’re talking about. They really don’t want your business.

8. crashman2600 says:

@firesign: Your right, actually 7900 loop feet or less which covers about 2% of all DSL users.

9. Edjamacator says:

Companies always consider gaining new customers to be worth more than retaining current ones. They know the vast majority of current customers won’t go anywhere, so why give them a deal? I could call Verizon right now and threaten to leave if I don’t get this deal, but my only alternative is far more expensive Comcast, and I despise them.

I can also call and demand the deal or I’ll go back to dial-up. Yeah, that’ll show Verizon who’s boss!

10. Trai_Dep says:

$50 a month? Jeezus!

11. theblackdog says:

I currently pay $42 a month for their 3mbps service. I think I’ll be trying to lower the price on that plan when my contract expires next September.