There Is A Guy Living In The Paramus, New Jersey IKEA

Remember that one guy who decided to visit all the Starbucks in NYC in 24 hours? Yeah, we’d forgotten about it, too. He’s convinced IKEA to let him live in their Paramus, NJ store for a week while his apartment gets fumigated.

The result of this stunt is a website featuring short videos of Mark’s adventures inside the IKEA that we felt were just little too irritating to actually watch, but maybe you’ll like them.

Living in IKEA does sound sort of fun, though, we have to admit. That’s probably why they’re selling houses in Europe.

Man Lives At IKEA [CNN]
(Photo:CNN)

Comments

1. kalmakazee says:

I’d rather live at Walmart. :-)

2. alhypo says:

*cringe* Yep… pretty irritating. I made it through about a minute.

3. MercuryPDX says:

Waiting for the lawsuit when he sleeps through the store’s opening bell and he’s found naked on the “Strügtagen” covered in meatballs and Lingonberry jelly.

4. n/a says:

Yeah at walmart you pry still could get lead tainted crap there. so risk your life and live at walmart, what fun.

5. MercuryPDX says:

@alhypo: and here I thought trying to hold out longer than you would be a good thing. I made it to “Wow! Bunkbeds for the twins I don’t have!”

6. chili_dog says:

But did he have to survive on meatballs for every meal?

7. timmus says:

Viral marketing alert. The IKEA publicity mill seems to be at full grind… not long ago we had that story about the IKEA hostel.

8. ExVee says:

A little known fact about sleeping at Wal-Mart: 50 pound bags of dog food are surprisingly comfortable surfaces to catch a quick nap on.

9. humorbot says:

*doink*

Living in an ikea house sounds fun? Do I have to assemble the entire thing with a flimsy hex key?

(Man I am so late on that joke…)

10. mgyqmb says:

Didn’t some car company have a gimmick a few years ago where a kid tried to “live in his car for a week”?

11. SyzygyBoi says:

@MGYQMB:

That’d be the Nissan Sentra. After seeing that commercial about 120 times when I was catching up on Heroes on NBC’s website has pretty much made up my mind to never, ever buy a Nissan anything.

12. Hoss says:

Had he ever hugged anyone before? …didnt think so

13. spinachdip says:

@mercurypdx: You just described my recurring nightmare/wet dream.

14. MercuryPDX says:

@mgyqmb: yup…. It’s popular with car dealers and radio stations.

15. girly says:

If his apartment is getting fumigated, shouldn’t the landlord provide alternate housing?

16. MercuryPDX says:

@girly: MA’AM PLEASE! Stop tugging at the thinly veiled Wacky Reality Cover Storyâ„¢ covering the marketing promotion!

Thank you.
    Ikea Corporate Services

;)

17. tange1 says:

@ KALMAKAZEE
    Living in walmart isn’t as much fun as it might seem. My walmart is 24 hours and just for fun I’ve slept in the tents in the camping section. It’s about as much fun as it sounds, sleeping on a hard coldish floor w/ the lights always on.

18. girly says:

@Mercurypdx: sorry, I’ll be good.

I wouldn’t want to end up rearranged for economical flat packaging!

19. darkclawsofchaos says:

… what about costco, you could be locked up all alone in one of their warehouses and still make a comfty living for two or three years, although, half way through the second year, its gonna be cereal or canned goods.

20. man_in_plaid says:

Ok, i tried watching those videos, i made it until he was asking customers if they wanted to help “shave him” True story…

21. PassionateConsumer says:

So what would everyone’s preference be, in terms of a business to live in/at for a week? I’m thinking:

1) UPS (delivery truck/RV option)
    2) Starbucks (with their new ‘customer experience’ focus, what better way to say we love customers than to let them stay 24/7? And some have couches)
    3) My local Sears (no one shops there, no one would notice)

22. ampersand says:

I love that stores are embracing the power of advertising via ridiculous internet stunts. Go Ikea!

23. EtherealStrife says:

@PassionateConsumer: Fry’s Electronics! A full blown decorative water fountain for bathing, dairy and frozen foods for cooking on demo equipment, junk food, demo laptops, demo HDTVs, demos of every game console known to man, etc. With a high enough credit limit I could probably live there for a few months without leaving the premises.

24. FLConsumer says:

So they’re going to fumigate the Ikea store before or after this guy leaves? I vote for before.

25. FLConsumer says:

@EtherealStrife: That’d save you from having to show your receipt at the door for awhile too

26. kalmakazee says:

@tange1:

Within a 20 min driving distance from my house there must be at least 3 – 5 Walmarts. Most of the Walmarts the workers are complete A-Holes. But the one near my house the workers are the nicest people.

My wife and I go to the friendly Walmart every saturday night at around 1am in the morning. Then we usually spend about 5 hrs there (especially because I’m a shopoholic. I have always told the nice manager there that if they put in a kosher retaurant (I’m jewish and all they have there is a McDonalds which is against my religion to eat there because the food is not kosher) and they put in beds there I would GLADLY sleep there. By the time we leave the store there at around 6am my wife and I are fallins asleep.

If I was stuck having to sleep at a store it would be at Walmart. They have everything that a person could possible want. :-)

27. kalmakazee says:

*falling* asleep

28. snoop-blog says:

i should get a discount if the sofa i buy has already been slept on.

@mercurypdx: nah, he just stashes the penthouse under the cusions when customers walk by……nevermind the crumpled tissues stuffed in the cusions either.

29. Chairman-Meow says:

I wonder what insane name that Ikea Branded this guy as …Dunkoff ? klaput ? dumbayass ? tuul ? Oh the possibilities …..

30. attackgypsy says:

He works for a TV show. One that does stunts like this all the time. And a lousy stunt that’s been done before.

Boring!

And I actually like the Colbert Report. Ho hum.

31. chargernj says:

….And today we cancelled the news to bring you this story from the Ikea marketing department.

This is CNN.

How many legitemate news stories had to die so that this could go on the air?

32. savdavid says:

Chargernj: AMEN! I agree completely!

33. mandarin says:

Maybe he works in security…

34. Craig says:

I hope Ikea clearly marks all the stuff he sleeps on or otherwise soils as “used.” Remind me not to shop at the Paramus Ikea for several months after this stunt.

35. themediatrix says:

Grating. This is why there will always be room for actual professionals in the “reality video” world. As opposed to say, some person from the marketing department with a video camera.

They could have at least warmed up his voice a little before starting the shoot. Oh, and maybe warned the employees they’d have to endure hugs from him. (Is that employee harassment?)

Cringe-inducing about sums it up. Ugh.

36. MercuryPDX says:

@FLConsumer: During… vote for during…

37. MercuryPDX says:

@snoop-blog: In an Ikea it’s Penthoüse. ;)

38. That70sHeidi says:

@PassionateConsumer: Target!!! But they already made a movie about that.

39. bunnymen says:

This makes me think of Geoff Nicholson’s novel Everything and More…except with permission, which is kind of lame.

40. girly says:

I wonder how many people auditioned to get their apartment fumigated?