Get AT&T Dry Loop/Naked DSL In 5 Minutes

Reader Michael writes in to share his 5 minute technique for switching to AT&T’s dry loop or “naked” DSL.

Step 1: Call 1-800-264-0002.

Step 2: Ignore the automated messages. Do not do anything until it asks what state you are in.

Step 3: Say what state you’re in.

You should be transfered to a person who can help you make the switch. Let us know if this works.

Here’s Michael’s letter:

I thought i might run through my experience with getting dry loop DSL. My old dsl line was costing me $24.99 and the cheapest phone line plus taxes was running me total about $41 a month for internet. I found on their website (http://www.att.com/gen/general?pid=10850) that its only $4 more for dry loop $28.99. I called the number that was provided on the site; of course this ends of being one of AT&T’s horrendous automated numbers. The voice tells me to tell it what I’m calling for.

me – “dsl”
stupid computer voice – “Are you wanting new service”
me – “NOOOO”
scv – “I’mm sorry I’m not sure lets try again”
me – “DSL”
scv – “Are you wanting new service”
me – “I hate you”
scv – “”i’m not sure what you want let me connect you to an operator”

At this point i assume this is what hell must sound like. After being on hold for 10 minutes I get someone who quickly informs me I’ve been connected to the wrong department and he will send me to the correct one. Another 20 mins goes by on hold and i never get an answer. Looking around some different websites i find another number to call; i get to a person relatively quick who tells me this is Iowa’s number she gives me another number to call which turns out to be Illinois’s number. Finally this lady tells me to call 1-800-264-0002 and ignore the the automated message and wait for it to ask which state I need (you have to wait quite awhile for it to ask). I do this and go directly to a sales person that can help. They gave me no problems and answered all my questions.

Here are some details I got from them about switching over:

Use the 1-800-264-0002 number and ignore your options until it asks what state you live in.

One day of no service while switch the service.(I think I can survive)

I no longer have to pay for all the taxes that were included with the phone that cost more than the line itself. just a small sales tax about $1.

They were very polite and didnt try to feed me B.S. about not switching.

It only took 5 min and now I’m saving about $11 a month.

(Photo:afagan)

Comments

1. that gave me a really good laugh. sometimes acting completely out of character gets you somewhere once in a while, especially when it involves AT&T.

nice photo by the way, goes along with the deathstar from ‘Giz

slickdeals has a pretty comprehensive topic dedicated to the “dry loop” dsl and more info about what it is exactly

[forums.slickdeals.net]

2. morganlh85 says:

I called the normal number and asked them about it and I didn’t have any problems. I would have been able to sign up immediately except that I chose not to.

3. Smashville says:

All hail Batman Building!

4. quagmire0 says:

I did this a couple weeks ago and had only one problem. When they cancelled my old service they never connected the new service with my existing login. So I had to call customer services and got through some ropes to get my existing account login to work with the new service. It seemed like the service was switched over flawlessly though – just not the account. :) Just something to watch out for.

5. Nighthawke says:

I’d like to see how one could convince them to finish deploying DSL out to my neighborhood. Been waiting 8 years since project pronto died off.

6. calvinneal says:

All they do in giving you a dry loop is disconnect the switch from the office frame wiring. All the other wiring to the dslam connection is reused. The operation should be seemless except you will no longer have switched dialtone.

7. darb215 says:

I tried to set this up a few times over the past month. They said the above offers aren’t available in GA. I ended up getting the 3MBs for $37.95, she offered me $5 off every month of any plan right after I asked her if I was able to change plans whenever I wanted. I guess this is their way to up sell you the faster speed and keep you at that plan. As long as I stay with the originally ordered plan I get the $5 off a month. I was paying $57 for Comcast and I’m glad to move. I have yet to receive the modem yet so I don’t know the speed here yet.

8. forgottenpassword says:

If this gets out too much & too many people start signing up…. there there will be a change in the hoops people will have to jump thru to get it (meaning 10 times harder than before).

9. wrecluse says:

I signed up last night it took a half hour for the rep to setup my new acct. I think he was still a little green I was paying 24.99 for 3mbps with phone line and taxes it ended up about 36 a month. The switch will of course take a day of down time and you will need to reconfigure as if you are a new account. This also means you will lose your current att email, if you even used it. I opted to upgrade to the 6mbps for 38 bucks a month. Not to bad it was like a free upgrade for me! New acct goes live on tuesday wish me luck with the switch over…

10. Quellman says:

For those who want to visit the AT&T tower, it is in Nashville.

11. silverpie says:

In case anyone was wondering, that’s the former BellSouth state headquarters in Nashville. Commonly called the Batman Building (or just Batbuilding).

12. Sam2k says:

You know, you could save all the hassel of the phone system by hitting up your local ATT authorized retailer. Your local independent agents will jump through hoops to help you with getting dsl and they have easy access to ordering DryLoop dsl.

13. darkclawsofchaos says:

I’m suprised that there isn’t a giant flaming eye between those two spires searching for the one ring, the ring to rule them all

14. FLConsumer says:

Am I the only one who absolutely hates the new voice (mis)recognition systems? I see more & more companies using them and abandoning their old touch-tone systems. While some of the old touch-tone systems had poor designs, they seem to just have slapped voice menus over the already-poor layouts. I don’t understand why my mobile phone has a better voice recognition system in it than their multi-thousand systems.

15. ampersand says:

I did this last week and the only kink was that the agent had to grab her manager to help because she’d never switched an account over to dry loop before.

16. randomizer9 says:

I was offered Naked DSL when I cancelled my AT&T service last week. I’d already made up my mind to do so by then, so I turned it down…as well as the other 4 counteroffers the phone weasel made. Jerks.

17. Ryan Duff says:

@Smashville: With the new (round) AT&T logo, it reminds me more of Barad-dûr (Dark Tower) and the Eye of Sauron from Lord of the Rings. Some angles, like this one, show this better.

I think it’s time for Nashvillans to rename their tower to something more fitting of its current owner.

18. Ryan Duff says:

@darkclawsofchaos: I missed your comment, but was thinking the same thing!

19. jermscentral says:

This photo is quite recent; they didn’t get the take-over-the-globe globe up there until a few weeks ago. Is the Channel 5 SkyCam still up there, or is everyone preoccupied with watching Phil Jones fly around in Sky5?

20. JC13540 says:

HaHa….that gave me quite a laugh here at my desk first thing this morning. I love the “At this point I assume this is what hell must sound like”….also I really enjoy the “I hate you” to the autobot :)

Nice work on the Naked DSL tho…sounds like a viable option to get rid of my Comcastic Internet now which I only hate due to who provides it. I use DirecTV, so it would complete my quest to live a Comcast-Free life.

21. MonkeySwitch says:

I’ve been on naked DSL for several months now. The only thing about it is that if you have to contact AT&T for any reason whatsoever, the ask for your phone number. When you tell them that you don’t have one, they say, “I need your phone number to look up your account” and, at least the guy I talked to, was no help what so ever. We only had our number for a week before going naked. Sure, I could have probably given him our account number, but we use paperless billing and the internet WASN’T WORKING. After enough pointless song and sance, I finally hung up on him and called back for another guy who was nice enough to walk me through a few basic processes despite the fact that he couldn’t actually look at my account.

22. forgottenpassword says:

“naked dsl” & “dry loop” ….. sounds a little disgusting.

23. theblackdog says:

@MonkeySwitch: I had a similar issue with Verizon DSL, try asking AT&T for your “Data Line Number” and see if they give you a phone number.

24. cloudedice says:

@FLConsumer: My electric company will be switching AWAY from their voice “(mis)recognition” system in favor of a “push N to do X” type. Apparently so many people complained about the voice system, they decided to change it.

25. cloudedice says:

@FLConsumer: Also, your mobile phone doesn’t have to deal with the frequency cropping that happens when your voice is transmitted over phone lines.

26. ambercrayon says:

I was able to make the switch, but they forced me to close my current account and open a new one since my phone number=my account number. They also forgot to inform me that I would be charged 19.99 for early termination, even though I wasn’t really stopping service. Nice little surprise on my bill.

27. CPC24 says:

@jermscentral: Actually, the Skycam is in HD now.

28. forever_knight says:

that building is awesome!

29. partyone says:

what is the website for more information on dry loop dsl?

30. tartis says:

I talked to AT&T today and I will be getting rid of my voice line next week and going for the Dry DSL. She said NO TAXES, which I find hard to believe. The also gave me a new DSL account number instead of a phone number which is required when you call for any kind of service.

31. Aphex242 says:

The one other real beast about this that is not mentioned is that you can potentially lose your mail account too, you have to reregister once you’re set up and *hopefully* your email address is still untaken.

For <$10 a month, no thanks. Not worth the hassle.

32. dlab says:

@partyone: Good luck finding the website. AT&T makes it as hard to find as they possibly can. Basically it is DSL without a phone account.

33. toolverine says:

I’m in the middle of dry loop install hell. They neglected to mention that I would have my email/ Flickr/ anything Yahoo services account disabled. I will have to re-integrate my old email with a new account once the install is finished. That’s 5 days of bounced emails for me! I managed to get a service credit, but it’s still an awkward switchover.

34. disavow says:

Just called that number and got my account switched over in less than 9 minutes, so I’m now saving $30/mo. total since I switched from Comcast to AT&T. Thanks, Consumerist!

35. CrunchyChewie says:

Having never commented on this site, and recently wrapping up a dry loop account with AT&T, all I can say is DO…NOT….DO THIS. Any kind of contact with customer service or billing was a hellish experience of multiple transfers and usually each call amounted to about an hour on the phone. Apparently AT&T offers a product they do not have the support staff in place to handle. Most reps I talked to were simply blown away that AT&T offered DSL with no phone line and had never even heard of it before. Needless to say I was transferred several times before someone assisted me and it seems like it was a different department each time. The service itself was good, but I don’t recommend this if you don’t like spending a lot of time in phone tree hell.

36. RottNDude says:

I had a very good experience making the transition. The rep I spoke with was very knowledgeable and gave me a new “phone number” (really an account number in the form of a phone number so they have something to reference) and also linked it to my cell phone and old landline number just in case. I was also given the help desk direct line – 877-722-3755 – who can apparently help in the event of post-installation issues.

37. cosmopug says:

What a nightmare. I’m on the phone with them now. There wasn’t an option for Georgia. No one knows who to speak with about this.

38. ConsumerRon says:

Awesome. I’m in Alabama and the number listed above didn’t have any information for the state of Alabama even though Bellsouth is now AT&T. I did a quick search and found that bellsouth supports this feature here: [www.bellsouth.com]
    Armed with the knowledge that it’s listed on their website if something goes wrong, I called the new number. I already had phone+internet, so they had to transfer me quickly, but had no problems, no long waits (except ~5 min. while they did the switch), and no down time. They did ask if I wanted a local line for the same price (for 911?), but I assumed it would still include fees and taxes that I didn’t want. The process was EASY and took ~8 minutes. Thanks Consumerist!
    Just in case that bellsouth page disappears, the number is 1-800-626-9149

39. Spencer says:

about 7 minutes and it was all set. Totally cool. the rep didn’t give me a hard time at all and only half-heartedly tried to upsell me an AT&T cell phone plan.

I live in a little town in IL btw.

40. RottNDude says:

Ok, so time for an update. My dialtone and DSL died last night as expected, and this morning I went to the service panel at the side of my house to discover a new service tag. Hooked this pair up to my modem and was instantly online…

However, I ran a speed test – I was only getting 1.5Mb instead of 3, which is what I had before and what I’m paying for now.

Called tech support – apparently the modem was provisioned correctly (it even showed connected at 3000kbps) but they only built me for 1.5 on the remote side.

Intentionally scandalous, or typically inept? Run a speed test once you get your new dry loop, folks! I’d be curious to see if they’re pulling this crap with anyone else.

41. aya2k1 says:

@APHEX242: actually there is a 3month hold time for your old email address. once your new acct (AT&T actually calls it DSL Direct service)is already active, call the DSL Billing department, ask them to “release” the old email address (only the Billing dept can release old email addresses) and have them do a PPP Swap so you can have your old email address back…

42. Rectilinear Propagation says:

I just signed up for dry loop DSL (I am in Georgia). It took about 40min since there isn’t an option in the phone tree for GA and the first time it sounded like my call had been dropped (no dial tone but no noise at all and there’s usually music and ads when you’re on hold).

I’ll be paying $43 for 3Mbps (there is a $5 fee for having dry loop). They did ask to check my credit to see if they need me to give them a deposit. I have no credit but I’ve never been late on my rent, utilities, or my AT&T wireless bill. I’m not willing to pay a deposit to avoid Charter’s price hike.

@RottNDude: I’ll definitely be doing that speed test after I get my equipment. But if I get 1.5 and it doesn’t hinder what I do in the Intertubes I will tell them to change my bill instead of my speed.

43. Rectilinear Propagation says:

@cosmopug: Maybe they’ve trained up some people but I was able to sign up for it in GA. After they name the options for the states hang on until it transfers you to someone. That person will be in CA. Let them know you’re in GA and they will transfer you. Once you get someone in GA they should be able to help you.

44. fromhangtown says:

Just got of the cell with them. Anyone can get it now, BUT it dynamic IP. It’s $20 more for static ip’s. You get 8 and install is 5-7 working days here in NorCal. So with static ip’s the price is the same as my SpeakEasy service.

45. oneguynamedjosh says:

i just did this and it’s amazingly easy. i really expected them to try to sell me on something else, but they didn’t. quick and painless.

46. jordan314 says:

So I just tried this and they said it was the TTY number and to try calling their main customer service number.

47. ZurielIshcabibble says:

Wow, that was easy!

1. Just called 1-800-264-0002
    2. Pressed 2 for residential service
    3. Told them I wanted to switch my service over to DSL Direct
    4. It took about 5 minutes and they gave me a new account number
    5. I was told that I would need to call tech support at 1-800-722-3755
    when my service is transferred and re-register my account since everything I
    currently have is tied to my phone line, which is now going to go away.
    6. Now I’ll wait until next Thursday to see if they can make the switch
    over painless…

48. Abe Gardner says:

Wow … thanks so much, I just got a great option from ATT with this recommendation:

(1) Call 1-800-264-0002 and wait for the “press 1 for California and Nevada” option.
    (2) Ask for dry loop service – get transferred (to retention?)
    (3) Ask for dry loop … “that’ll be normal service rate +$10/month ($30 + $10 for me) and we’ll have to send someone out there to set up a dry loop jack which will cost $200. …
    OR
    … “I can offer you our measured rate phone service ($7.28/month) and you can keep your current internet connection price ($30/month)” “Also, I can offer to take $5 off your phone service each month for the first year and 50% off your internet service for the first 6 months”

So, the price for internet service (3.0mbps) and phone (measured rate) will be:
    $17.28/month for the 1st 6 months
    $32.28/month for the 2nd 6 months
    $37.28/month after that (unless I can get another, better offer).
    *No contract required, “month to month”

I was previously paying $38/month with a “lifeline” (cheap phone line) but that wasn’t an option anymore because I didn’t qualify … so the bumped the phone line from $7/month to $27/month … my bill before this call was $57.50/month.

$57.50/month –> $17.28/month … wow.

49. blalond says:

Just a note,: 1-800-264-0002 is for residential and not for small business. I got transferred away from 1-800-264-0002.