TigerDirect announced it will buy all that’s left of CompUSA. Finally, the rumors have come true. [ArsTechnica]

Comments

1. timmus says:

I guess they realized that people were suckers for the Gordon Brothers price markups and that maybe the store could be profitable after all.

2. evslin says:

That’s cool. I don’t hate TigerDirect.

3. headon says:

great one crap company buys another crap companies crap. Ain’t that some crap.

4. AlteredBeast (blaming the OP one article at a time.) says:

So…TigerDirect will take the stock from my local Compusa, then screw up shipping it to me? Great.

5. pestie says:

@evslin: You probably should.

6. goodkitty says:

Eww… TigerDirect? Is this going to be a competition for which management could possibly suck worse?

CompUSA: Raise prices 80% then have a 70% off sale
    Tiger: Raise prices $50 then have a $50 ‘maybe you will maybe you won’t’ rebate and tack on a $25 ‘handling’ fee.

I see how that works.

7. Skiffer says:

@goodkitty: Very true…

I bought from tigerdirect once, then found out about newegg…

8. swalve says:

Ugh. Tiger Direct is the creepiest store I’ve ever been in. Gross.

9. mammalpants says:

ugh. get out the purell. i hope they wash their hands after they pick up all the remaining slime-covered merch.

10. brandiniman says:

Listen, CompUSA was a great place to work (Glen Allen, VA store, I left in August for a government IT job) and we had some of the most skilled and socially talented repair techs employed there. Now I can’t speak for the customers. If only their product choice, online in-store pickup, restocking timing, shelf tag system, and lack of an adequate gaming area to drive all upgrades sales had been redone it may still be alive. But you tend to fail when every move is to catch up or to directly compete with another store (adding home theater to CompUSA directly competes with BestBuy and the space should’ve been used for Gaming hardware)…

I hope my local CompUSA becomes a Tiger Direct store or else there will be nowhere to get a selection of computer parts. (and I hope they rehire most of the old employees since they knew their shit)