Royal Farms Gas Pump Charges You Even After The Gas Stops Flowing

Royal Farms refuses to fix a broken gas pump that charges customers even after the gas stops flowing. The pump in Abingdon, Maryland has overcharged Tom on five separate occasions, and Royal Farms refuses to issue a promised refund.

Tom sent us his letter to Royal Farms:

On July 8th, 2007 I pulled over at one of your Royal Farms gas stations to fill up my car.

What occurred at this Royal Farm gas station was a complete shock to me. I swiped my credit card and began to pump gas into my car. While the gas was pumping I got a very important phone call, which I needed to answer. I answered the call and took a few steps away from the gas pump.. The pump continued to pump the gas, however, at some point the pump stopped pumping. I remember hearing a loud click sound when the pump shut off. As this was a very important call, I talked on the phone for a few more minutes.

When I finally got back to the gas pump I was shocked to see that the meter was still running; eventually it slowed but still continued to run. Both the gallons number and the dollar amount continued to increase even though the gas was no longer flowing. I removed the pump handle from my car to make sure.. While holding the pump handle in my hand, I watched both the gallons number and the dollar amount still continue to increase. At this point I called the county police station to report fraud; however was informed that they wouldn’t come out unless I go no cooperation from the gas attendant.

As far as I am concerned this is stealing and is no different than me getting gas without paying for it.

I called the gas station attendant to show him what was going on.

He witnessed the problem.

Unfortunately, he was unable to do anything about this and was unable to offer a refund.

I was given the name and phone number for the store manager with instructions to call her the next day. As instructed I called and spoke with the store manager. She promised to issue a refund back to my credit card which of course hasn’t happened yet.

On 10/18/07, I returned to this same Royal Farms gas station and the same thing occurred again. At some point the gas stopped flowing however, the dollar amount kept on increasing.

On 10/31/07, I returned to this same Royal Farms gas station and the same thing occurred once again. At some point the gas stopped flowing however, the dollar amount kept on increasing.

On 12/6/07, I returned to this same Royal Farms gas station and the same thing occurred once again. At some point the gas stopped flowing however, the dollar amount kept on increasing.

On 12/13/07, I returned to this same Royal Farms gas station and the same thing occurred once again. At some point the gas stopped flowing however, the dollar amount kept on increasing.

Call your credit card company and chargeback the excess costs for as many visits as they will allow. Next, call your local department of Weights and Measures. They have inspectors who love discovering leaky pumps. You will make their day. Finally, find a new gas station! One that charges for the amount of gas pumped.

(Photo: jrdnjstn)

Comments

1. Hawk07 says:

Yeah, they have people that measure this sort of thing and if the pump is off more than the acceptable range, they’ll fine the station.

2. Xkeeper says:

YI’m not usually one of the “blame the victim” guys, but, uh, after the 5th time, you’d think he’d learn to stop…

Especially if he’s never getting a refund.

3. NickRB says:

At which point do you decide to stop letting them rip you off? The next time you go back? The 10th? How many times?

That is jacked up though. I would have not left the first time it happened until I got a refund. If I went a subsequent time I would have not left until I got a refund. Then I would have never returned.

4. homerjay says:

Not that I’m blaming the victim here, but after the first time you received no response and no credit, WHY did you go back there??

5. snoop-blog says:

@Xkeeper: yeah fool me once, shame on you, fool me twice……

that guy is an idiot for still doing business their.

and if its just one pump thats broke, it makes this guy a bigger idiot.

6. alice_bunnie says:

Fool me once, shame on you. Fool me twice, shame on me. Fool me five times? Wait until you hear about the Attorney General’s law suit and fine then go back to this station.

7. rewinditback says:

Leader : “There’s an old saying in Tennessee – I know it’s in Texas, it’s probably in Tennessee – that says, fool me once, shame on … shame on you. It fool me. We can’t get fooled again.”

8. rewinditback says:

good call alice.

9. PinkBox says:

Uhm, isn’t talking on cellphones dangerous at gas pumps?

10. snoop-blog says:

its really hard to say that this guy doesn’t have it coming after he returned for the 5th time, but when will consumers learn to do their voting with their dollars? i’d also call the local news if i was this guy and have them do a story on it so others in the community would boycott it.

11. snoop-blog says:

@rewinditback: your comment gave me a headache trying to decipher it. lol.

12. KyleOrton says:

I’m assuming he was “taking one for the team” to make sure it was fixed by everyone else. I grew up in a small town and small injustices like this (especially if it is only one pump) have a tendency to be known by the locals and a way to take advantage of people traveling through.

I agree with the chargeback, but this needs to be fixed even after he gets his so it doesn’t continually happen to people less able to defend against it.

13. ColonelDebugger says:

Tom doesn’t sound like a candidate for Mensa does he?

14. HalOfBorg says:

@causticitty: That’s probably why he walked away from the pump a little, and didn’t notive that it didn’t stop counting.

And I know of several small towns with only one station, and it costs a lot to drive to another just to get gas – esp to pay more maybe.

The pump will have a tag with the last inspection info. I bet it has contact info of some sort.

15. turingtest says:

Maryland Dept. of Agriculture has a Weights and Measures program (all states do) that is responsible for certifying gas pumps. Their URL is: [www.mda.state.md.us] Their phone number is 410-841-5790.

16. HalOfBorg says:

There ya go.

17. ClayS says:

I’m surprised the editors of Consumerist would even publish this story. Why would they risk their advertisers thinking this fool is representative of their readership?

18. NickRB says:

@causticitty: No. That’s a myth. Your cellphone does not generate enough heat to ignite gasoline vapor. Even if your phone arcs and there’s a spark, that spark doesn’t generate enough heat to ignite gasoline vapor. Feel free to talk away.

19. KogeLiz says:

I find it ridiculous that this guy called the police without even speaking with anyone who works there.

Also, isn’t there usually a weights and measures contact on a sticker on each gas pump?

Did he call the manager back to follow up? Maybe she forgot. It just says he kept trying the pump again and again (for some reason).

Also, yeah, a charge back from your credit card company would help.

20. goller321 says:

@ClayS: Did anyone consider that maybe the OP was testing the pump to determine if any measures had been taken? I’m not saying he did, but it is a possibility. Personally, I’d have been out there with a camcorder videotaping the proof!

21. parse says:

@ClayS: “This fool” returns to a business that consistently overcharges him, delivers customer service that doesn’t serve the customer, and resolves disputes by promising refunds they don’t deliver. What advertiser wouldn’t be eager to tap into that demographic?

22. goller321 says:

@NickRB: Uhhh…. no it isn’t. There are documented cases of this occurring- such as the one below-

[www.cbsnews.com]

23. legerdemain says:

I often think blaming the consumer is mean-spirited, but I’ve gotta go with the group on this one. At best, you might have found me get caught the first time, then caught again a very long time later; or caught once, then caught again very soon after, when I happened to not need much gas, but happened to have my camcorder handy.

Seriously, if it’s this repeatable, your local TV news would love this story. It’d let them beat the gas price horse a little more.

24. RottNDude says:

This happened to me… well, except the pump kept flowing while the price/gallon indicator froze. I ended up with a full tank of gas for 37 cents. The attendant let it slide since there was no way to prove how much gas I had pumped into the car.

25. ibanix says:

@goller321: It’s a myth. Go watch the MythBusters episode where they did everything humanly possible to make a cellphone cause gasoline to explode.

The real culprit of gas-station explosions? People getting back into their car, which generates a static charge, which then creates a spark when they get out of the car. No doubt someone was on the phone when this happened, and hence the myth started.

26. snoop-blog says:

@RottNDude: nice! i’m never that lucky.

27. freshyill says:

Their gas pumps may suck, but Royal Farms makes a mean potato wedge.

28. mgyqmb says:

This is a crime. This is fraud. I don’t see any information about any arrests going on. Why is it swift justice if a consumer does it, but when a company does it, there doesn’t seem to be any response?

Think about this. The gas station stole this man’s money. The police should have come right then and there and gotten an answer. Instead, they said that the gas station could “make things right”. Even if they did, and refunded this man’s money, they are still guilty of defrauding customers.

To me, this is analogous to the story of the man who stole the $3 steak, then went back later to pay for it. He had a chance to make it right, and attempted to, and was arrested anyways. Again, the customer gets the shaft while the companies skip away scot-free.

29. snoop-blog says:

@mgyqmb: great example! A+

30. emax4 says:

On the other hand, anyone can surely benefit from the gas station error. This error was occurring when he paid with a credit card. Anyone who ever pays this way will tell you that it’s a faster method than paying cash to the attendant and then pumping gas. When one pays with a credit card, the pump can run until the tank fills up (or the customer releases the handle on the pump, in this story)

After paying in cash, the gas starts to minimize flow around the time the customer has .30 or .25 left worth of gas to pump. The consumer notes that the gas stops running but the cash meter continues. Let’s assume that there are other pumps in the same station and that both the meter and gas still run after the handle is released: Customer goes inside to pay for $20 worth, person goes back out to car and pumps gas. Whether or not the cash meter stops at $20 or not, as it normally does after pre-paying in cash, chances are that gas is still being pumped in the car. If the cash meter on the station still runs, the extra gas being pumped in the car is at the cost of the station owner, not the customer as he or she had just paid $20 worth earlier.

31. Rachacha says:

@NickRB & IBANIX : Actually there is enough energy for cell phones to ignite a gasoline/air mixture (I test products for use in explosive atmospheres (mines, oil refineries etc.) for a living). However to cause an explosion the gas/air mixture needs to be JUST RIGHT, and you would need to 1) have some sort of fault in the battery (to cause overheating) or 2) drop the phone and have the battery ejected (causing a spark between the battery contacts and the phone contacts) or damage to the battery itself that would cause overheating.

Is it POSSIBLE to cause an explosion with a cell phone…YES
    Is it LIKELY that a cell phone wuold cause an explosion…NO. Conditions have to be just right, and there would have to be some sort of fault ot accident involving the phone to cause an ignition.

Sorry for going off like that, but that MythBusters episode just REALLY pi$$ed me off :-)

32. DallasDMD says:

Chargeback bro!

However, the credit card co. might have a hard time believing you filled up 5 times at the same faulty pump. You gotta admit that was pretty stupid of you.

33. iMike says:

a. Complaint letter too long, with too many details. Better letter would be:

On Dates 1, 2, 3 and 4 I was overcharged at your station because of a faulty pump. The pump readout continued to climb even though I had stopped fueling my vehicle. I estimate the total of the overcharges as $x, which I expect to receive in the form of a check within 30 days.

That’s it. No one cares about the “very important phone call” or that you think it’s wrong to steal.

b. Why would you call the cops because you were overcharged for gas?

c. What kind of idiot experiences this then goes back FOUR MORE TIMES?

34. shortergirl06 says:

Along the similar lines…

I filled up my tank at the local station, but their credit card readers were down. He did the carbon copy thing, and phoned it in while I was standing there. He gave me my receipt, and I went on my way. 2 months later, the charge still hasn’t shown up on my statement. Should I go back to the station and let them know of their mistake? Or should I just appreciate the free gas?

35. ibanix says:

@Rachacha: Right. In the real world, it’s NOT GOING TO HAPPEN.

36. bhall03 says:

@NickRB: I’m with you. If the attendant would not have refunded me my money, I would have called the police back and reported theft.

Would the store have let me pump gas and then say to them, have your manager call me tomorrow and I will issue payment then??? I don’t think so…

37. bhall03 says:

BTW…Tom is an idiot. he was not taking one for the team. Maybe he is trying to establish enough usage to setup a class-action lawsuit against the company on behalf of all Maryland residents.

38. noorct says:

Yeah you probably should never have left the first time without a police report if the attendant was unwilling to help you. Be that as it may, the Department of Weights and Measures has full authority to shut them down. Of course, now the risk is that they have fixed the problem in the meantime and you have no evidence. This probably won’t be the case, given that all pumps in most states are sealed by the DWM and if the seal is broken, the DWM will still fine them or revoke their license. I’m glad someone’s taking a proactive stance so that other people aren’t screwed by the same station.

39. dapuddle says:

@Xkeeper:
    I agree. You can’t fix stupid. Also, using a cell phone while pumping gas??????? Ummmm Hello? That is so not safe.

40. rbb says:

Regardless of whether or not a cell phone can spark an explosion, I am sure there is a sign posted on the pump forbidding their use. The station has every right to set its own rules and the person pumping the gas is expected to follow them. So, this guy should not have been on the phone. Besides, he should have been paying attention to the pump, not wandering around yapping on the phone. So, there’s your safety issue – you are filling your car with a highly volatile, explosive liquid. Pay attention to what you are doing!

41. ClayS says:

@parse:

You make a very good point!

42. ClayS says:

@Rachacha:

Wouldn’t you agree that starting a car is much more likely to start an explosion than using a cell phone?

There can actually be some arcing with relays and solenoids being energized. Yet how often does that happen? The key as you say is the fuel-air mixture needing to be just right, which isn’t likely.

43. Solo_Racer says:

@goller321: and @dapuddle: Better go read up on this myth at Snopes.com:

[www.snopes.com]

The New Paltz incident is specifically mentioned at the end and the fire department determined it wasn’t the phone. Cell phones produce very, very low levels of electricity. You are at far greater risk from static electricity generated from getting out of the car than by having a cell phone ring.

@Rachacha: “In a laboratory environment, I am able to ignite a gas/air atmosphere with a “AAA” battery. A cell phone battery has significantly more energy.”

Voltage alone isn’t the issue; load, amp hour rating play into it. Also, generating a spark off a battery contact isn’t all that easy and assuming it will happen if the battery falls out is a huge leap.

Perform an experiment where you ignite fumes with a cell phone, and then I’ll buy into it being more dangerous than static electricity.

44. JohnMc says:

Bad pump for sure. But the solution is somebody needs to call the state consumer affairs office. All states have a weights and measures dept that tests both tanks and pumps. They show up and find the pump in error you will see how fast the pump gets fixed.

45. snoop-blog says:

slow comments day? lol.

46. Rachacha says:

@Solo_Racer: Several factors play into electronics causing an explosion…

1) Voltage (an “AAA” battery has a nominal 1.5V, a cell phone battery is generally 3.7V nominal)
    2) Short Circuit Current (Any alkaline battery will give you about 5-7Amps instataneous (all that it needs). Lithium batteries generally have a short circuit current of 7-10A or higher), and
    3) stored energy in the form of a capacitor or inductors (internal circuitry from the cell phone.

Static electricity is an issue as well, and I don’t contest that.

The point being that the area surrounding a fuel pump is considered by fire marshalls as being a potentially explosive atmosphere, but only in case of an accident or a fuel spill.

Hey Consumerist…can you start a sister site, maybe “Scientist.com” so that we can argue scientific theories !

47. XTC46 says:

@Rachacha: start a site called IANAE.com (I am not an expert) then anyone can argue their points despite having no history or expertise in the topic at hand. Whats the fun if only informed personnel argue?

48. Andrew says:

Being a former gas station attendant myself, I know that they do forbid the use of cell phones near pumps. As it was explained to me, the danger is not from the battery or from overheating but rather from the pulse generated when an incoming call is received by the phone. I have no idea how it is supposed to work, but I know that the rule was strictly enforced.

As for the attendant not issuing a refund, if Royal Farms is anything like Valero, then the poor attendant has no authority to do anything but say “call my manager tomorrow”.

49. lukobe says:

“The definition of insanity is doing the same thing over and over and expecting different results.”

50. ShastaMcNasty says:

blah blah blah 5 times!? blah blah blah

51. sven.kirk says:

@mgyqmb: Yes, I agree with you. But only to a certain point. But since it happened more than one time, he is a HUGE moron. He went FOUR more times within a month before the first problem got resolved. And of those trips, he never said he, according to the post, complained.

Now, if he was stuck in the middle of nowhere, I could possibly see this problem arising. But not like he could get off the phone, or use a headset, and watch the KNOWN trouble pump. Oh the humanity!

52. forgottenpassword says:

Wait a minute… so the police will come with sirens blaring when some does a “drive off” without paying for gas, but wont do anything when the pump basically dives off with your credit card # ?

53. Rachacha says:

@ClayS: Certainly a car has more available energy, but as you stated, the fuel/air mixture would have to be just right and there would need to be some sort of break in your spark plug/coil insulation and the fuel/air mixture would need to rise to the level of your coils/wires.

Your exhaust pipe would be a more likely source of ignition (I have not measured the temperature of an exhaust pipe, but I assume that it is above the Auto-ignition temp of gasoline.

Probably the most likely (but still not very likely) source of ignition would be the pump itself especially if it were not well maintained.

To borrow a line from MythBusters…Ignition of gasoline at a gas station by a cell phone, car exhaust, car electrical system, static electricity or a fuel pump…Plausible, but unlikely.

54. forgottenpassword says:

@Rachacha:

About 8 years ago I had tiny gas leak in my old 89 ford bronco’s gas tank. It must have been a rust hole or something between the gas tank & the skid plate surrounding it because the leak would only drip. And it would drip directly onto the HOT tailpipe. Never ignited or anything & who knows how long it had been happening before I first discovered it. And I did check that it was gasoline. I had to have the whole tank replaced.

55. Major-General says:

@ibanix: Actually, mythbuster put to much gasoline into their test, so that the air was too saturated to spark. I wish people would quit quoting them when because they have too many flaws in their testing procedures.

I had the opposite thing occur once where a pump jumped up a few cents (like a nickel) as soon as I activated it, but before putting it in the car. In my case I got a little refund directly.

56. TechnoDestructo says:

@causticitty: No, it isn’t. Not unless your battery blows up. You’d notice if you had enough fumes to ignite by anything less.

57. coren says:

I can (barely) see why he went back the second time. It’d been 3 or so months, and maybe the problem was fixed. That’s not wholly unreasonable.

The rest is just stupid. More so if he never got anything for the first time.

58. JustRunTheDamnBallBillick. says:

Unless he provides proof this man is a liar. Pure and simple. Ive gotten gas at this station literally HUNDREDS of times (my old office was a block away) and its not only always busy, but Ive never had a problem. I have no problem believing this happened once, cause hey, shit happens, but to believe that he willingly went back 4 times after no receiving a refund is beyond belief.

Oh, and its not like he didnt have a choice, there is a WAWA literally across the street with like 10 pumps that is usually 1-2 cents cheaper.

59. Landru says:

@lukobe:

No it’s not:

[www.m-w.com]

60. UpsetPanda says:

@causticitty: Mythbusters says no.

61. benn09 says:

1st mistake? Walking away from the pump to take a phone call AT THE GAS STATION! Unless you enjoy catching on fire, I’d suggest letting it go to voicemail. Also, by walking away you have no idea how much you should actually have been charged for the gas. 2nd mistake? Going back there again, multiple times! Not to say you deserve being taken advantage of, but you should have learned after the 1st time, especially when you received no cooperation from the management about the problem.

62. Bubs says:

I enjoy the way that things work out. A device will malfunction to screw you over but never, even for a second, cut you a break.

63. m4nea says:

I’m sure the best practice here was to increase your problem by returning there FOUR MORE TIMES.
    WTF is wrong with you???

64. snoop-blog says:

@m4nea: too funny!

65. Solo_Racer says:

@benn09: You’d have to produce a spark with the phone to catch fire. Other than shorting the battery or taking the battery out of the phone AND having that produce a spark, the phone isn’t going to ignite anything. The ringer produces no electricity of its own nor does it involve a mechanical switch, so that’s out too.

Gasoline doesn’t burn that readily without a good ratio of air, 14:1.

66. forgottenpassword says:

@Bubs:

lol yeah.

I watched an investigative piece on weights & measures & the gas stations they inspect/test.

Seems there are unscrupulous gas stations who have electronics installed in the pump that cheat people. They often have a switch at the counter so they can turn it off & on at the attendant’s whim. It was like a cat & mouse game. The attendant would see who is filling up & judge whether or not if THAT person was a good target to scam. And the weights & measures testers would have special vehicles outfitted with special gas tanks so it just looked like they were just a regular customer & not an inspector.

From what i understood the cheaters wouldnt do it too often, because they never knew who was an inspector or a regular customer. But the Sad thing is that most state’s weights & measures inspectors are far & few between. VERY understaffed. So it makes it easier for cheaters to cheat their customers.

I wish there were a database where one could look up the most problematic gas stations …. so i could avoid them.

I figure the incentive to cheat the customer is higher than ever … becuase of the insane price of gas these days & independant gas stations struggling & not being able to keep compettitive with the big chains. I have seen so many gas stations around here go out of business since gas went thru the roof that it isnt even funny.

67. snoop-blog says:

they should created an device that you put on the end of the gas nozzle to measure the gas yourself.

anytime i suspect a gas station is screwing me over, (for one i don’t gas up there 5 more times at the same pump), i get my ONE gallon gas jug from home, and pump exactly one gallon of gas in the jug. if its wrong (which has happened once), i went in and told them that i’m not paying the bill because i didn’t get one gallon like i was supposed to and that either i was walking away scot-free, or i was calling the dept. of weights and measures. they just gave me the gas, but i still called the DOW&M on them.

68. forgottenpassword says:

@snoop-blog:

Good for you! However…. the savvy cheaters dont run their pumps night & day with the cheating device running…. they select certain people to scam or have the electronics set up to where it will only cheat the 30th customer or so. So filling up a container would raise a savvy cheater’s suspicion that you were possibly testing them or were with the weights & measures dept.

However in your case its possible that the pump was malfunctioning & the owner didnt know it (or you had a really foolish scammer ripping every customer off). But it still needed to be reported. So again I say … good for you!

69. forgottenpassword says:

@snoop-blog:

Actually…. I was thinking…. that measuring device idea is a pretty good one. But instead of putting it on the nozzle …make one into a gas cap that has a little plug in it so you could remove the plug, stick the nozzle of the gas pump in it & the gas cap checks the amount of fluid is passed thru it.

Of course…. electronics & gasoline doesnt mix well. Maybe if it was a mechanical setup… something akin to how a non-electronic pedomiter works.

70. snoop-blog says:

@forgottenpassword: wow you took my good idea and made it great! i will now follow your comments!

71. snoop-blog says:

a digital dash that told you down to the hundreths how much fuel was ADDED. not what the whole tank contains. that would be sweet! just make sure your dash matches the pump!

72. Hoss says:

No way is this a legit letter. He is not stating the address or state of the particular station, he was given the name of the manager — doesn’t mention her name or phone number, no indication of how much was overcharged on any of the occassions — he doesn’t even seem to be asking for anything.

I dont think I’ve ever been to a Royal Farm station — don’t know where they ar — seems unfair to this company to allow some nut case to damage their name if he isn’t providing facts.

73. Buran says:

@Xkeeper: seems to me like he’s trying to collect evidence against them. There’s no financial harm if he can reverse the illegal charges. After getting enough instances to show that they’re not going to fix it, that’s when you call weights and measures and go elsewhere.

74. Angiol says:

@xtc46: You mean Wikipedia? :P

75. ClayS says:

@Buran:

Crazy like a fox, he is! You’re really giving him the benefit of the doubt. The fact is, he has no evidence besides his log of his purchases. Why did he go to Consumerist? If the gas station fixes the pump before Weights and Measures inspects it, they will be no consequences.

76. NoThru22 says:

WTF?? I’M Tom from Abingdon, MD!

77. oldthudman says:

The “fix” for this is to call or write your Better Business Bureau and the state Attorney General or your local city/county Inspectors…..There should be some specific group that inspects/checks fuel pumps. Report it to one of your area TV “consumer advicate”. When the cameras show up these people straighten their act up..at least for awhile.

The other “fix” is to “NOT GO BACK THERE”………..What’s that old joke? The Doc says does that hurt when you do this? The person says “yes”. The Doc then says “well stop doing that”.

78. startertan says:

OMG! I used to live near that Royal Farms on the opposite side of 40 and I95. Given the proximity to Edge-“hood” I’m not surprised the thing is ripping people off. He should be lucky the Royal Farms hasn’t hired the crips or bloods to force people to over pay for gas.

79. Tracy Ham and Eggs says:

@startertan: Wow that was remarkably racist.

80. erica.blog says:

@NoThru22: dude, stop going back to that gas station!!! ;-)

81. coren says:

@Tracy Ham and Eggs: Against..? Unless you’re implying that gangsters are only a certain race.

..which would make your comment the racist one..

@benn09: Haha, do you read other comments before you post? :)

82. startertan says:

[www.knowgangs.com]
    [www.usdoj.gov]
    [gangs.umd.edu]
    [wjz.com]
    [www.securityinfowatch.com]
    [www.examiner.com]
    [www.wbaltv.com]

@Tracy Ham and Eggs: 6 second search on Google (searched for Harford County gangs). It’s called news not raciscm.

@coren: You beat me to pointing out the obvious. =D

There are reasons why people who know those areas call them Edge-Hood and Havre Disgrace.

83. RobertW.TX says:

I think the comments about calling the police are a bit strange. If I were a police officer I would ignore such calls. Tell the manager they have a week to issue a refund and if they don’t you will issue a charge back. Then follow through. I have done this 3 times (various reasons not all mistakes by a retailer) with Bank of America and they always put the money back in my account while I am on the phone, I love instant gratification. Then it is up to the the retailer and the credit processor to work it out.

84. nebraskabill says:

Gee Doc, it hurts when I hit my forehead, so the Dr said, well stop hitting your forehead. After the 2nd time I am sure most sane people would have enough evidence or a video camera and wouldn’t have had to return 3 more times to get screwed again. What a moron!!!!!!

85. marylandagriculture says:

After reading this blog yesterday, a Maryland Department of Agriculture Weights and Measures offical went to the only Royal Farm Store in Abingdon, Md. at 2603 Old Philadelphia Road. The inspector found the station had replaced all of the gas dispensers with new ones since the last inspection date. The only violation found was on dispenser number 2, where the indications would continue to advance after releasing the nozzle and stopping product flow. The dispenser was condemned for repairs and taken out of service on January 8, 2008.

86. jrdnjstn78 says:

That’s my picture I took at a Dia de los Muertos celebration! awesome!

87. Do_They_Get_It says:

This story reminds me of the WI gas station who employee accidently changed the price from 2.98 to .298/gal.

The station closed but allowed pumps to run by CC purchase in absence. When long lines lined up in the middle of the night, the error was noticed.

The station owner of a fairly small town was hurt that her neighbors and customers would “steal” from her. Yes, steal, she felt it was theft. What are your thoughts?