How many people here had weight loss as one of their New Year’s resolutions? Here’s a guide to losing weight without the hype or spending a bunch of money on stuff that doesn’t work. [ACalorieCounter]

Comments

1. MikeB says:

This is a pretty good write up, it is essentially what I learned from talking with a nutritionist. And following something similar, along with exercising (45+ min on my treadmill daily) I am down 40 pounds since August, and I even lost weight over the holidays.

2. My New Year’s resolution is to stop losing weight. I’ve lost 35 lbs in a month and a half, and am still losing 5-7 lbs a week. Just saying.

3. AbsoluteIrrelevance says:

I tried loosing weight from November onward, but was eventually defeated by the 2-3 gift baskets delivered to my work everyday for over 2 weeks. I’m back on the wagon now though.

4. dmc says:

My 2007 New Year’s resolution was to lose weight, and I went from 266 to 185 now. I’m 6’2″. Not sure what this year’s resolution is going to be… maybe I’ll take a break!

5. ColoradoShark says:

@SpiderJerusalem: I can’t be the only one curious about this. Unfortunately, the answer is likely to be some disease that is far worse than being overweight.

6. synergy says:

That requires more work and thought than most Americans are willing to put into it.

7. PostmanE says:

Yeah, I’m one of those cliche “Gonna lose 15 pounds” resolution-makers this year, and all of this stuff was stuff I sort of knew already … but three cheers to ACC for putting it all in one place in a cohesive format. Very helpful.

8. banmojo says:

I lost over 70 pounds from late Jan 07 through June 07 doing the following: I ate 300-400 calories every 2.5-3 hours (6xDay) plus got my heart rate up above 140 for 30 minutes 6xWeek. Was never hungry, and the pounds just melted away. Since then I’ve kept the weight off, as I’m still eating small amounts 6xDay, which is really the healthiest way to eat. Feels awesome, and didn’t require any silly $$ expenditure or BS. Simple is best. It’s not a fad diet, it’s a permanent lifestyle.

9. @ColoradoShark: I had Chron’s disease AND a twice-burst appendix. I’m recovering from surgery still.

10. kc2idf says:

The plan is to lose 3kg/month until I reach 60kg. This morning, I weighed in at 72kg.

The 3kg/month rate (about 6.6 lb/month) is easily achievable (and easily exceeded) without too much pain and anguish.

The target weight of 60kg will give me a BMI of 22.3 kg/m², which is healthy. At 72kg, it is 26.8 kg/m², which is slightly overweight, though at my height it looks terrible.

@banmojo: The idea of eating 6x a day works really, really well. I’ve done that in the past to great success and it is a good way to feel less hungry, if at all.