Healthy Appetites Banned From The Buffet

Two men from Houma, LA say they were banned from the Manchuria Restaurant for eating too much, too often.

From Yahoo!:

Ricky Labit, a disabled offshore worker, said he had been a regular for eight months at the Manchuria Restaurant in Houma, eating there as often as three times a week.

On his most recent visit, he said, a waitress gave him and his wife’s cousin, 44-year-old Michael Borrelli, a bill for $46.40, roughly double the buffet price for two adults.

“She says, ‘Y’all fat, and y’all eat too much,'” Labit said.

Labit and Borrelli said they felt discriminated against because of their size. “I was stunned, that somebody would say something like that. I ain’t that fat, I only weigh 277,” Borrelli said, adding that a waitress told him he looked like he a had a “baby in the belly.”

Wait it gets better, apparently the restaurant has a sign that says “Food is for eating, not toys for your child.” Underneath that, someone has written, “Or 20% added.”

Please, citizens of Houma, LA, please take a photograph of this sign and submit it to our Flickr pool.

‘Hearty eater’ says buffet banned him [Yahoo!] (Thanks to the person who sent this, I lost your email!)
(Photo:BILLBINNS)

Comments

1. Anomaly69 says:

How exactly is it news worth when a couple of fattys are banned from a buffet they gorge at 3 or 4 times a week?

If I were that buffet owner I’d do the same thing.

2. You go now! You here four hour!

3. gmark2000 says:

Oh you velly fat man! No shrimps for you! You eat flie lice. No more shrimps!

4. Wheels17 says:

It’s the typical tragedy of the commons effect. No incremental cost, so there’s huge overconsumption.

See [en.wikipedia.org]

We used to go to a mother’s day buffet, nice spread, lots of good stuff, including crab legs. One year, we sat next to a table of 8 or 9 huge people. Adults over 400lbs, kids in proportion. They were coming back to the table with plates literally a foot deep in crab legs.

Next year, no crab legs.

5. bradanomics says:

Good for the buffet owner. I would have done the same thing. These people are clearly taking advantage of a buffet and the business owners are perfectly within their right to post signs indicating that people are not to gorge themselves.

6. rockosolido says:

“I only weigh 277.” What? What!?
    Unless he’s some sort of professional athlete or under 10% bodyfat, that IS indeed fat.

7. UpsetPanda says:

He’s not that fat? Maybe if he was 6’8 277 pounds would be healthy. Aren’t buffets generally the beacon for serious food hounds? Don’t they KNOW that people go there specifically to chow down for an hour and a half on multiple plates of food? I haven’t willingly gone to a buffet in years – the last time I went, it was out of courtesy to someone who picked it, and I felt sick for the rest of the day because there was nothing remotely healthy there to eat, and the people who picked the place remarked how much I wasn’t eating and took offense in it.

8. B says:

Quick, somebody call Lionel Hutz. This is the most blatant case of false advertising since the Neverending Story.

9. emilymarion333 says:

@rockosolido:

you beat me! I was going to say the same thing!

10. GothamGal says:

I think that this is hilarious and hopefully it will start a new trend in this world to get rid of the McFattys. 277 is not fat???

11. Schwartz says:

Why does it seem that half the posts on the Gawker blogs this week involve Louisiana somehow?

I love my state.

12. rkm12 says:

Does the owner of the place have a restriction on how much patrons can eat? If not I could see their point. I

13. javaman1960 says:

I once went to an Asian buffet (with lots of seafood) and noticed that there were signs everywhere stating that each patron had a two-hour time limit from the time stamped on their receipts and it was strictly enforced. It never occurred to me that something like that would even be necessary (Who would stay that long?). When I asked the dining room hostess (enforcer), she said that people would come for lunch and stay until dinner, even bringing books to read in between. Incredible! I guess there’s just no end to peoples’ nerve.

14. kamel5547 says:

@anomaly69: Well for one usually restaurants want their customers coming back often. Buffets hardly ever lose money anyhow, it’d be hard to even guess if one was losing money on a particular customers ( body mass is not necissarly a good indicator).

15. Saboth says:

I’m only 350 lbs, prac’tly a ballerina!

16. m4ximusprim3 says:

@kamel5547: You’re right, body mass is not a good indicator. However, if he was 190 when he started frequenting the joint 5 months ago, I’m with the owner.

Plus, this is america. I’m sure when the guy had a heart attack he would have sued the buffet for not making him stop eating.

17. davere says:

I have a coworker who is close to 400 lbs and he only eats at buffets. Every day. I’m waiting for this to happen to him.

Apparently the fact he ended up with diabetes hasn’t clicked yet.

18. m4ximusprim3 says:

Actually, this would be my argument as the buffet owner:

If I’m a bartender and someone is over the limit, I’m cutting them off.

Now, I’m a restraunt owner and this guy is obviously over the limit. I’m cutting his ass off before he dies in my buffet.

19. unklegwar says:

Remember way back when people were sane, and if an establishment insulted you, you spoke up by taking your patronage elsewhere?

Everyone is so quick to get offended at every little thing. We’re a nation of sissies, with feelings more fragile than a butterfly’s wings.

The article says these were men, too bad they are whining like little spoiled girls. They should act like men, tell the restaurant to kiss off, and go eat somewhere else. (and refuse to pay any more than the advertised price, btw)

It wastes a lot of time and energy to go getting all whiny to the media.

20. AdmiralNelson says:

If they advertise all you can eat buffet, that’s false advertising.

If you’re in the buffet business, and can’t handle people coming back to get more food. Get out of the buffet business. Face it, most buffets lure people in with the expectation that most people will only eat one plate. If the business only wants you to eat one plate, then say so.

21. Narockstar says:

@Wheels17: Ha! I worked at a restaurant back in the day that had a Sunday breakfast buffet. When they took away the crab legs because they were too expensive, people refused to pay the bill. “I’m not payin’ if there’s no crab legs!”

22. forever_knight says:

dear fatties:

guess what? you are too fat.

signed,

the world

p.s. stink stink stink — stink stink stink — joker got away! hey!

23. Bancho says:

“I ain’t that fat, I only weigh 277″

I LOL’ed hard at that.

24. qwickone says:

@m4ximusprim3: LOL! I think you’re absolutely right :)

25. K-Bo says:

254 is the ideal weight for someone who is 7 feet tall. You may not be fat, but you sure aren’t skinny, and this decision was made on eating habits, not weight. They wouldn’t do this to someone who was 400 lbs if they ate 1/2 a plate of food per visit. Also, you may not be fat, but I’ve never seen a healthy buffet, so at 3 times a week for 8 months, you probably aren’t healthy either.

26. Bancho says:

@m4ximusprim3: I like that.

I just know as the restaurant owner I would cringe in fear seeing these two Jabba’s slithering up to my restaurant to gorge themselves and make my other customers ill.

27. jtheletter says:

I think, comments about body weight and considerations of buffet-goer motives aside, the issue here is a simple bait and switch. The buffet listed one price per person for (ostensibly) ‘all you can eat’ buffet service. True, the restaurant owner is free to set limits or pricing tiers, however it must be clear and up front to the customer. To charge them double after the fact because the manager feels taken advantage of is not right, and most likely illegal. A more appropriate response might have been to bill them the correct price but then ask them to not return. Is that legal? Are there discrimination issues? Possibly, I’m not arguing that. The important point here is that the restaurant offered something at one price, then after the fact changed the deal, that’s a no-no.
    Also, 277 is not necessarily overweight, and considering his previous work was offshore work, he’s probably a big guy. Many offshore jobs are intense and the people that do that work *are* of the 6’5″ muscle bound variety, and those guys do eat a lot. Anyway, his weight is irrelevant in this instance.

28. oldtaku says:

I don’t see anything wrong with the buffet cutting off people they see as abusing the buffet. It’s a bad business relationship. Of course they could have done it a lot more politely. But I’m glad they didn’t, since then we’d never have gone blubbering to the media with the ‘I’m not fat, I’m only 277 pounds!’ bit.

29. Morgan says:

The restaurant is certainly able to ban whoever they like, so banning them for eating too much isn’t an issue. Doubling the bill certainly isn’t something that should be within their power (false advertising, breach of the contract implied by signs/prices, I’m sure there’s something illegal there).

30. ClayS says:

I’ve noticed that many buffets no longer advertise as “all you can eat”, but instead “all you care to eat”.

The former phrase is apparently interpreted as some sort of challenge by some.

31. Bancho says:

@jtheletter: She said he looked like he had a baby in his belly. He was fat fat fat fat fat fat fat fat fat fat fat fat fat fat fat fat fat fat fat fat fat fat fat fat fat fat fat fat fat fat fat fat fat fat fat fat fat fat fat fat fat fat fat fat

32. chazz says:

If there is an “all You Can Eat” sign, then that’s what it means. I think it’s understood that a buffet is an “All You Can Eat” situation unless otherwise noted.

We have an “all You Can Eat” Sushi bar in the neighborhood, but they make it very plain, you can have as much sushi as you want BUT you must eat all the rice. I’ve seen people cut the rice in half and then complain that they can’t get anymore.

Plus as regulars thy should have been warned before the rules got changed on them.

33. Pylon83 says:

@unklegwar:
    I second that. People are so quick to turn stuff like this into a huge ordeal. It’s getting a bit ridiculous.

34. smitty1123 says:

@AdmiralNelson: Bingo. Nobody goes to a buffet and gets a small salad with oil and vinegar and a bowl of soup. If you have a buffet, expect the fatties and expect them to eat accordingly.

35. dandd says:

Gotta love fat people, the last group you can discriminate against and no one cares.

Can I kick out Indians for smelling like curry? Can I kick out ghettofied black people for scaring off white customers? Each group could negatively effect my bottom line, but we cannot discriminate against them.

Until we can discriminate against anyone for possible negative effects on our business, we shouldn’t be able to discriminate against fat people.

36. Laffy Daffy says:

This is nothing new. They aren’t the first people to get kicked out for repeated overindulgence. I vaguely recall some big eater losing a lawsuit he filed against a restaurant in Wisconsin or Illinois for getting cut off.

37. Buran says:

@anomaly69: First, OK, you immediately come across as an asshole with that judgmental bit of namecalling.

Second, when you are advertised price X and charged price Y, that’s FRAUD. You cannot raise the price after the customer accepts the sale offer at the advertised price.

Third, need new shoes for that high horse you’re on for acting like how other people look is justification to screw them over? We’ll laugh at you when you’re charged $10 a shoe and the blacksmith demands $15/shoe or he’ll call the cops.

38. Bancho says:

Being black, or Indian or doesn’t come with risk of death or diseases like diabetes. Fat people need to realize that fat is more than just visually unappealing. It’s unhealthy and definitely worth discriminating against.

39. Buran says:

@Bancho: And you’re an asshole asshole asshole asshole asshole asshole asshole asshole asshole asshole asshole asshole asshole asshole asshole asshole asshole asshole asshole asshole asshole asshole asshole asshole.

40. Buran says:

@dandd: No kidding. Watch me get called names for standing up for people. I bet someone will accuse ME of being part of that group with no justification, too. Because that somehow makes it OK.

No, it’s not OK.

41. Buran says:

@Bancho: Uh, what? “(x) people need to realize that (x) is more than (pick offensive phrase here), it’s (justification) and definitely worth discriminating against”?

W. T. F.

42. Buran says:

@unklegwar: Funny you should say that considering you’re on a site where the advice is often “shop elsewhere, and go to the press to shame the establishment that tried to defraud you”.

43. Buran says:

@GothamGal: Actually, it isn’t always, there are a lot of other factors — height for one.

44. dandd says:

@Bancho:

Sorry Bancho, I believe in freedom of choice. If someone wants to be fat, then that is their choice.

Being black doesn’t come with the risk of death or disease? Ever heard of sickle cell or high blood pressure? Your race does determine several health risks.

45. Bancho says:

@Buran: Perhaps, but you won’t catch me devouring my way to death at a buffet. You know if one of these guys keeled over dead with a stick of butter lodged in their ventricle people would be up in arms about the evil restaurant owner killing them. The whiners should just find another buffet to glom onto. I’m pretty sure the buffets aren’t in cahoots maintaining a blacklist the way casinos do.

The other thing here is the people rushing to defend fat. People need to learn to not eat so much. I’m sick of seeing handicapped parking places basically turned into “parking for fat people”.

BTW, the guy in the article, the one who was whining, was FAT. He wasn’t some tall muscular bodybuilder. He was FAT.

46. Bancho says:

@dandd: You are right about freedom of choice. So many people just make so many bad choices.

47. That70sHeidi says:

I have yet to see a buffet that has food worth more than a few pennies. I don’t care that they serve steak, or crab legs. That stuff is NOTHING compared to the utter bottom bin SHIT they serve at the rest of the buffet.

I do NOT believe this company is losing money on these two guys, even eating there three times a week.

What idiot opens a place like this then gets upset when people DO WHAT THEY’RE TOLD? He’s serving bad food at [usually] high prices and then gets upset when someon likes the place enough to keep coming back. Brilliant.

48. superlayne says:

Hey, I know some people from Homa. I’ll give them a ring. Or forget about it, I’m too lazy.

277?! Really? This is where I make a joke about how fat he must be.

There is a point where you eat too much. I don’t think they were complaining about them just getting one or two plates, these men were probably loading up on the food. Ever been to a Ryan’s a dinner time? You’ll see some scary crap you just won’t believe… Men, women, and children all shoving disgusting buffet food down into their maw… Nasty.

49. whatNameIsLeft says:

I think its a bit funny all of these people saying this is ok because the customer was fat.

Image the out cry on this board if it was a cell phone company giving unlimited text messages for $x / month then turned around and changed the customers that used it the most double, without telling them ahead of time.

50. Munsoned says:

Um, I think operator of this restaurant needs to re-evaluate his cunning business plan. If you don’t want to serve a lot of food to people, DON’T USE AN ALL YOU CAN EAT BUFFET!

51. JiminyChristmas says:

@dandd:

Stinky people = not a protected class
    Fat people = not a protected class
    Black people = protected class

If “ghettofied” were your main issue your business could perhaps have a dress code so long as it didn’t amount to de facto racial discrimination. I.e.: you could ban baggy pants and sideways baseball caps, but you couldn’t ban only people who did their hair with Jheri Curl.

That said, all of the above only pertains specifically in the realm of federal civil rights law. It wouldn’t surprise me if there were other state or federal laws that prohibited discrimination that was arbitrary or had no justifiable business purpose.

As for the case at hand, I think the commenter above who suggested charging the overeaters the regular price and asking them not to return has the right, and most legally defensible, approach. The verbal insults and after-the-fact discriminatory pricing are what put the restaurant owners in the wrong.

52. dandd says:

I’m honestly trying to be PC here, but I’ve read stories like this a few times and they always happen at Chinese Buffets.

I also agree with Heidi, how much food does one need to eat to actually hurt their profits? The food at buffets is always the cheapest crap deemed edible by humans.

53. UpsetPanda says:

@That70sHeidi: Gotta say, I don’t know if they get the food for pennies, but the buffet at the Bellagio in Las Vegas is simply phenomenal. It’s the last buffet I willingly went to. Fantastic food, different kinds for all different palates and healthy choices.

54. Bancho says:

@superlayne: I’ll never take my family to a buffet for that reason alone. They really do attract the lowest common denominator.

Hey Guys? I apologize about earlier. These guys that got banned were in the right and they can have all the crap food they can push into their heads. The damn restaurant owners should know what they’re in for when the advertise like that. Shame on them.

55. MasonMacabre says:

I suggest, in order to protest the restaurant, getting a bunch of those competitive eaters who are 110 pounds and sending them into the restaurant to clear out the buffet lines.

56. UpsetPanda says:

@dandd: Two words: Golden Corral.

57. Parting says:

@AdmiralNelson: The real question is : How much do you have to eat to be banned from a BUFFET????

I’ve seen a lot of overweight families eating in buffet on a regular basis. And they didn’t get banned, even when clearing panes of food.

58. spinachdip says:

I weigh around 130 pounds, and I’ve eaten 300-pound guys under the table. This story makes me laugh, because the buffet owner’s using fatness to keep patrons out, but sad, because somehow, making multiple trips to the buffet is “abusing” according to some of you assholes? What the shit?

59. GTB says:

Wow, I can’t believe this article caused so much strife in the comments.

Fact is, if there was a set price for the product they were selling, then the only one at fault here was the merchant.

There can be no other interpretation.

The merchant certainly has every right to refuse further service to the customer, but the agreed on transaction cannot be changed after the fact.

60. RvLeshrac says:

Meh. A lot of buffets are actually decent. Good? Not necessarily. But decent. And inexpensive.

What most likely happened is that these individuals ate far, far, far, far, far too much. Buffet pricing is designed for an average of X plates per person. If each person goes back to the buffet 10 times for heaping plates of food, they’re bankrupting the owner.

That said, it isn’t right that the place charged them double. Cut them off, sure. “We reserve the right to refuse service to anyone.”

Private businesses CAN discriminate against individuals, for any reason. If you don’t want black/chinese/indian/fat/thin/jewish/polish/eskimo/white/native american/christian/buddhist people in your business, there’s really nothing to stop you but bad publicity (unless you’re a bank or other government-backed or regulated business). You HAVE to hire people you may want to discriminate against, but you don’t have to serve them.

Is it wrong? Sure. But it isn’t (usually) illegal.

61. m4ximusprim3 says:

I’d just like to clarify that I’m totally not for charging them more than the market rate without notification. That’s fraud and they should be punished for that.

However, I’m totally not against restraunt owners refusing to serve people because they’re

A) Overating to the point where its not healthy
    B) Eating so excessively that they’re causing the bottom line to suffer.

62. WraithSama says:

Whether or not he’s fat is really irrelevant. The owner of the buffet can’t double the price just because they feel like you ate too much.

Secondly, for what it’s worth, I have a friend that is 6’1″ and weighs about 310 lbs. He’s a big guy and looks a little bit overweight, but he definitely doesn’t look obese. The buffet owner’s observation about him looking like he has a “baby in the belly” is subjective, especially if they’re a typical scrawny person of Asian decent or simply felt like insulting the guy.

63. Buran says:

@Bancho: You know what? We’re rushing to defend bigotry. If you’d look past your narrowminded worldview to realize how petty you are, you’d see that. You may disapprove of how people run their lives, but there are things you JUST DON’T SAY IN PUBLIC.

64. doctor_cos wants you to remain calm says:

@Bancho: two Jabba’s?? Your Jedi mind tricks will not keep me from the crab legs.

I knew a guy at a buffet who was told “Sir, there is a 10 pound limit.”

65. UpsetPanda says:

Apparently, a lot of people hate this restaurant – [www.insiderpages.com] and the wait staff is rude and unclean.

66. esqdork says:

Consider that there may be other customers who would like a chance to eat the seafood that this guy is devouring. So maybe trying to restrict his intake may not be that bad–the good of the many outweighing the good of the one.

67. DrGirlfriend says:

Fat people! Har! Let’s charge them double and then insult them! It’s okay, ’cause, you know, they’re fat.

68. mantari says:

I plugged his data into the body mass index calculator.

Unless he is unusual in some way (like is a bodybuilder who is packed with muscle), he would have to be taller than 7’4″, at that weight, to NOT fall in the overweight category.

My strong guess is that Mr. “I ain’t that fat” was, indeed, fat.

69. spinachdip says:

@mantari: My strong guess is that Mr. “I ain’t that fat” was, indeed, fat.

Though in his defense, he is in Louisiana, so anything under 300 pounds is probably considered svelte.

70. dandd says:

@JiminyChristmas:
    (Sorry, ghettofied was the only word I could make up at the moment, but you got the point)

I do understand that racial discrimination is illegal.(as it should be)
    My point is that each group could possibly have a negative effect the bottom line of the business. It just doesn’t make sense to me why certain people are still discriminated against and it is OK. Double standards don’t help anyone, they just cause animosity.

Either we should be able to discriminate against anything or nothing, not this maze of rules and regulations that the law dictates now.

71. TechnoDestructo says:

‘Tis not a man. ‘Tis a remorseless eatin’ machine!

72. Bancho says:

@Buran: You’re racing to defend people who seem to have little if any self-respect or self-control. Sure there are fat people who can’t help their condition (my sympathy goes out to them). The vast majority are fat due to their own poor choices. Their poor choices affect more than just themselves.

And that guy? The banned one? He was fat.

73. Buran says:

@RvLeshrac: Actually, you can’t discriminate against protected classes. Some of these are federal and some are state. Your list involved several racial factors — try banning black people from your business and you’ll get in real trouble.

That said, you got it right when you said that it’s OK to ban them from coming back LATER, but you can’t raise the price NOW because you offered a sale of goods/services at a particular price, the customer accepted the price, and that’s that.

The solution is to raise rates for everyone, institute a quantity limit, or to ban those particular customers.

Too bad everyone’s so intent on being bigoted and blaming the victims that they can’t realize that it’s not OK to cheat someone just because you don’t like how they live.

74. UpsetPanda says:

@WraithSama: Wow, offensive much? Sorry, I’m not a scrawny Asian person, but I would probably consider someone who is 6’3 and 277 pounds (and who wasn’t a weightlifter or athlete) obese, especially if they frequented a buffet three times a week. Yes, it is subjective, but there’s a point where even subjective opinions have obvious truth. This guy was fat.

75. CumaeanSibyl says:

Dear restaurants,

If you can’t handle people eating a ton of crab legs at your buffet prices, how about this: DON’T PUT THE CRAB LEGS ON YOUR BUFFET.

76. SexierThanJesus says:

Hardy har! What a fatty fat fat dude with his fat eating and his fat wife at the fat restaurant! Stoopid fatties! Fat fat fat fat!!!

Did I just about cover all the opinions here? The place advertised “all you can eat”. If this were an article about Circuit City not honoring a policy, you’d all have the pitchforks and torches out.

77. Buran says:

@Bancho: That doesn’t make it OK to be bigoted judgmental jerks (and I’m saying this to everyone who couldn’t dig their manners out of their back pocket).

Do the terms “tact” and “if you can’t say anything nice, say nothing” mean anything?

Apparently not.

How would you feel if someone walked up to you and started ranting about something you did that they didn’t like, and used it as an excuse to imply that it was OK to take advantage of you?

78. rockergal says:

@unklegwar:
    I agree with you whole-heartedly!

79. girly says:

Do they give discounts to skinny people or people who don’t eat very much?

80. crazylady says:

@kamel5547: “buffets hardly lose any money anyhow” …have you ever run a buffet? my mom and I buy and sell businesses, especially foodservice related, and every single time we’ve looked at a buffet I’m just shocked that they haven’t gone out of business yet. The cost of food and employees is enormous and only going up, but it’s not exactly a wise business move to charge customers like $30-40/person for dinner…you get the idea.

I’m shocked a buffet would ban customers. Even if they ate a LOT, especially the more expensive foods (e.g. crab legs), the fact that they’re paying customers means a lot – if they weren’t there, the food would just go to waste and the buffet would lose more.

That being said, $50 for two people on TOP of being overcharged for being fat and eating a lot is not that expensive. I’ve unfortunately come across a lot of buffets that charge something like that for one person at dinner, thankfully not the one paying for it.

81. girly says:

I have a strong dislike of buffets–knowing that they are likely dirty due to all the people coming in contact with the food and just the general atmosphere depresses me.

82. VeryPlainJane says:

Ben, isn’t this a wonderful time a year for a troll purge? What a great way to start off the New Year!

83. Bancho says:

@Buran: They could have just paid the original price and walked out. If the owners called the cops (unlikely) the banned guy and his buddy would have been in the right.

Apparently according to the article this guy was like Gulliver amidst the Liliputians. There’s no way they could have stopped him from leaving (unless he fell asleep from eating too much ans they staked him to the floor).

84. Skeptic says:

And next, really big people refuse to pay extra for their extra, extra large clothes because it is “discrimination.”

The restaurant should never have called the customers fat. That was over the line. However, many buffets reserve the right to charge extra for people who eat above a prescribed amount of food. That is based on behavior, not body weight, and is entirely reasonable. But, to enforce that the restaurant may have to implement a maximum weight of food allowed per customer or even a separate maximum weight of premium food.

The customers were gaming the system by chowing down on just the most expensive food. The restaurant shut them down. The only question is how the restaurant can do this fairly and consistently so that the majority of customers don’t have to pay higher prices so that a few greedy customers can pig out on other people’s subsidy.

85. girly says:

@Skeptic: They really need to make that clear ahead of time (don’t eat too much, too expensive), and in this case it seems they didn’t.

86. snoop-blog says:

i’m with buran. its a f*cking buffet. you really think people are going to eat lightly? i’m 5’5″ and 115, and probably waste more food at the buffet, than these people ate. you know why i do? cause it A-f*cking-merica, and i can. i use to work at a buffet and what this restaurant did is unacceptable on many many levels. i’m not going to justify reasons that its not someones fault for being over weight because if you don’t already know their are disease and such, you and idiot with less than a high school education, and your comments are not worth spit.

87. WoodyXJS says:

Soooooo if I make one trip to the buffet I dont have to pay full price ? BULL*@#$!&. It doesent matter if they had to wheel this tub of lard in with a forklift, if the sign says all you can eat, its all you CAN eat. I’m sorry we can get into a theoretical discussion about the sad physical condition of a large portion of our citizens, but this is simple, if its “as much as we feel you should eat” then change the sign. How about if you go to buy a TV and the sales person says “you look like you can afford more, that will be an extra 25%”.

88. Bancho says:

You know, aside from the jabs I’ve taken at the victim and others like him, I have to say I feel a bit ill now. Many buffets like this (as opposed to higher end buffets where they charge a lot more to start with) are just gloomy morbid places and shrines to gluttony. Low end buffet food isn’t even *good*, it’s just plentiful.

I’ve worked in restaurants in the past and food costs are a lot higher than some people here realize. Rice and pasta may go for “pennies” per serving but not all food does. Not by a long shot. I’ve been responsible for calculating costs per meal/portion and doing the bookeeping and food costs can be big.

The proprietors should have just charged them the original price and asked them not to return. They could also have changed their signage to allow more discretion in the meal charge.

Calling the guy fat? Maybe not the best idea. She could have saved that part to joke about with the kitchen staff after he left.

In the end, I’m just glad I know how to cook a good (and healthy) meal from basic ingredients. I’ll save my “eating out” dollars for a more enjoyable and rewarding experience.

89. casey451 says:

Some topics on this site, like this one, attract the knuckle draggers in droves. Ignorance, hatred, bigotry, pride, juvenile self-regard. Hope it’s mostly due to how they’re mostly under age, with a lot of maturing to do yet. Snoop-blog is, of course, one of the grownups here. Oh, and me, too. : )

90. Mr. Gunn says:

No one’s mentioned yet that it’s considered a huge insult in Asian cultures to waste food. They probably reacted emotionally to seeing 4 or 5 half-eaten plates on the table.

91. XianZomby says:

Clearly there is a limit to how much a customer can eat before the business loses money, and it is the right of the restaurant to address these concerns. But in this case, the customer was wronged. He was wronged because the waitress humiliated him with her comments and then asked him and his dinner guest to pay twice the cost of the buffet. A better course of action would have been for the restaurant to invoke their right to refuse service. That action should have been taken before the customer was allowed to be seated, however.

On a related note, I used to eat at a sushi restaurant in Dover, Del. They had an “all-you-can-eat” buffet on Sunday nights. A friend and I frequented the buffet night. One of the rules was you had to eat the rice along with the fish. So when you tool five balls of sushi rice with five slices of fish — it was against the rules to peel off the fish and eat it as sashimi. I understand this, my friend felt his right to eat as much as he pleased was being restricted by this rule. It’d be like if the restaurant offered all-you-can-eat lobster bisque and you brought in a strainer, brought twelve bowls of bisque back to the table, then strained out the lobster and ate just that. Clearly that is not the intent of the offering.

And wasting food from the buffet, or stuffing some of the offerings in your pocket to take home with you, is clearly a violation of the offering by the restaurant — you are allowed to take from the buffet what you are willing to eat, while you are in the restaurant.

92. ClayS says:

@Mr. Gunn:

I didn’t see any mention of uneaten food left on plates. If that was the case, the customer should have been asked to leave.

If not, the customer should have been allowed to eat whatever he wished. He should be treated with reasonable respect, despite the fact that he may have been obese.

If the business is losing money, they need to change their pricing or policies. To do so selectively is at the very least unfair.

I can’t believe the lack of tolerance of others and their opinions that I sometimes witness here.

93. disgustedconsumer says:

When has it become sociably acceptable to discriminate against fat people? I would love to see the responses if this were a person race eating at a stereotypical establishement…like black people eating at a chicken buffet…or Hispanics at a taco buffet and then being charged more then advertised becuase of it. I haven’t been to a buffet in years…but I saw just as many skinny people consuming plate…after plate…after plate of food…wasting much of it and going back for more.

Look at the facts…advertise all you can eat at at a particular price…you must honor that price.

94. snoop-blog says:

@ClayS: mind boggling isn’t it? it really turns me off from this website sometimes. i feel like i’m surrounded by a-holes %99 of the time. most of whom, are for big corporate business and could care less about the consumers rights.

95. Tracy Ham and Eggs says:

Im fat. Not as fat as I once was (100 lbs lighter), but, by most measures I would be considered overweight. That said, I do not eat any more then the guy next to me at a buffet (yeah, I hit Western Sizzlin with some friends for breakfast sometimes). Weight can be the result of a lot of factors (thyroid conditions, disease, overeating, lack of exercise) not all of which are controllable. If a restaurant were to judge my on my size and overcharge me I would probably make a big deal of it too. If you want to put limits on “All you can eat” amounts, thats fine, but dont do it based on weight

Just a guess, these folks eat there alot because the CAN get a lot of food for a low price, and need to financially.

96. snoop-blog says:

@Tracy Ham and Eggs: it’s everybody’s god given right to be as fat as you want.

97. milw123 says:

Come on, there’s an easy solution to this problem. The owner should have offered Mr. Creosote and his companion a wafer thin mint and everything would have been taken care of quite easily. A bit messy, though.

98. Dashrashi says:

This thread is so unpleasant, it’s insane. Since when is it okay to be so vitriolic and mean-spirited about someone whose situation you don’t even remotely know? The self-righteousness is overwhelming.

@jtheletter: You’ve got it right, as far as I’m concerned. The customer’s weight has absolutely no relevance here. Really.

99. Buran says:

@Bancho: I would have done exactly that personally. I would have loved to see the cops arrest me for just paying my bill.

100. UpsetPanda says:

@Mr. Gunn: How the heck did we get on that this is an Asian place? I kind of get the idea, since the place is “Manchuria Buffet” but the post photo doesn’t have to be 100% related to the post itself. P.F. Chiangs is an Asian restaurant, but it’s not owned by Asian people. How are we to assume that Manchuria is owned by Asian people or are staffed by Asian people.

@XianZomby: And who doesn’t love the rice in sushi? Goodness…the entire basis of sushi itself is the yummy rice. Rice is such an integral part of Asian cuisine, to eat it is to celebrate the culture.

101. Grrrrrrr, now with two buns made of bacon. says:

Being fat has nothing to do with the actual issue, which was that the subjects in question were eating substantially more than a normal person would, affecting the ability of the business to make a reasonable profit. The management should have advised the “healthy eaters” not to return (refusal of service) but did not have the right to give them a bill for twice as much.

This, of course, probably would have still resulted in the police being called, because people taking advantage of a system aren’t likely to give it up without a fight.

The whole “fat” issue only comes in because the waitress used it as an insult and as the justification for charging them double. If two abnormally thin people had been continually doing the same thing (think “competition eaters” or starving college students), it would have resulted in the same problem (sans the insult).

102. Dashrashi says:

@dwayne_dibbly: But would people have been so quick to notice starving college students going up to the buffet repeatedly? I think probably not.

103. tk427 says:

I read through the comments on the link @JD provided. This place adds a 20% surcharge if food is left on plates.

restocking fee?

104. MercuryPDX says:

@JD: Rice is filler, which is why at our local AYCE Japanese (Todai), I stack up on the Sashimi like I’m about to feed Flipper.

105. UpsetPanda says:

@MercuryPDX: Ugggh, I hate Todai. I hate it with a passion – the sushi is just not good at the one near me. Blegh. I guess it’s me then because I don’t eat sashimi, only cooked sushi.

106. FMulder says:

Do the bullimics get charged extra too for not only eating too much, but perhaps for ‘misusing’ the bathroom facilities?

But, I guess if they are thin/not-fat, they don’t get the insults?

What about those people who are really thin, really unhealthy — do they get special discounts if they eat a bit more?

107. evilhapposai says:

This is not too hard. If your restaurant advertises itself as a buffet with all you can eat it is to be that for ALL PEOPLE and at the same price for ALL PEOPLE. If ever asked to leave or receiving a higher bill that is break of contract, false advertising, discrimination, and probably a few other things any half-bit lawyer could easily win a case upon. Whether the customer is fat and eating lots of plates or not.

If a place dont like fat people gorging themselves on the product then change to a per plate charge and QUIT PLAYING BIG BROTHER.

108. JiminyChristmas says:

@RvLeshrac: You are dangerously misinformed. The Civil Rights Act of 1964 prohibits discrimination in public accommodations based on race, color, religion, sex or national origin. Any business open to the public is a public accommodation, and the Act explicitly includes restaurants.

So, if in your place of business you chose to discriminate against black/chinese/indian/fat/thin/jewish/polish/eskimo/white/native american/christian/buddhist people you would definitely lose a lawsuit brought by any of those people except for the fat or thin ones.

109. themediatrix says:

@WHEELS17 & @ BANCHO

Guess what? A person’s weight is NOT a reflection of how much they eat.

There are thin people who overeat and fat people who undereat. The number one indicator of whether a person will gain weight is whether they’ve ever been on a diet. Not because they tend to overeat, but because the diet slows the metabolism and weight comes back on despite consuming fewer calories. So often, very fat people actually eat less than thin people who’ve never tried to diet.

In general, the more you diet, the more you weigh. It takes five full years for the cycle to complete, which is why most “success stories” are taken within a year of going on the diet. If we check back in five years, Valerie Bertenelli (sp?) will be just a little fatter than she was before she started Jennie Craig.

(This is backed up over and over by research, most recently a Stanford diet comparison study.)

Further, people who are *at* the weight recommended by height weight charts have higher mortality rates compared to people who are considered obese. It’s a fact.

Take a “fat” person and put them up against a “fit” person (according to the weight charts) and the so-called “fat” person is more likely to survive a heart attack, cancer, and a host of other diseases.

Unfortunately, there isn’t a similar study about the mortality rates of ill-informed idiots. Here’s hoping you’re real thin. ;)

@M4XIMUSPRIM3
    Since when is it a restaurant’s place to keep someone healthy? Even if it was the responsibility of the restaurant, see above.

110. MBZ321 says:

I suspect most buffets will be changing the way they operate in the next few years…maybe by having wait staff that distribute the plates with a set limit (ex. 3 plates/trips per person to the buffet and a majority of the food on the plate must be eaten). Food prices are hurting everyone and buffet places know if they raise their prices, people will just go elsewhere. But even if the guy is obese, there is no reason for the wait staff to point that out.

111. WV.Hillbilly says:

The restaurant could limit trips to to the food bar. But that wouldn’t allow them to advertise an all you can eat buffet.
    They can’t have it both ways.

All you can eat means just that. Fat or skinny.

It creeps me out to see those bowls of deep fried meat at these places. It could be someone’s cat.

112. themediatrix says:

The really bad thing about this thread is that it has made me want some crazy-fried chinese buffet food!!

113. Sudonum says:

Instead of AYCE weigh them going in and out and charge by the pound. I pass through Houma a couple times a month, but have never stopped there for a meal. I might have to now.

114. Grrrrrrr, now with two buns made of bacon. says:

@dashrashi: True enough.

115. HalOfBorg says:

If it’s an “All-You-Can-Eat” buffet and they tell me to stop because “I’ve eaten too much” – they’d better be ready for the cops. I paid my money, now get out from in front of the Butter Shrimp.

116. XianZomby says:

@MercuryPDX: Well, rice will fill you, I suppose. Like biscuits at dinner, it provides some volume in your stomach. But if somebody has priced an all-you-can-eat sushi buffet based on a piece of fish decorating a ball of rice, then the calculations are based on you eating (and being filled up by) the rice. Not on you harvesting the fish off the top and tossing the rice. So it’s not improper for a resturaunt to ask that you eat all the food you take. That being said, if a resturaunt prices a buffet that includes sashimi, then my guess is that it costs more than a buffet that features only sushi rice with sashimi on top. Becuse an ounce of rice+fish costs less than an ounce of fish.

117. XianZomby says:

And please, don’t let political correctness fool you into thinking that when George Wendt sits down to eat, he is satiated by the same amount of food it takes to fill up Ashley Olsen. There is such a thing as conservation of mass.

118. girly says:

@jiminychristmas: maybe not by the civil rights act of ’64, but I do believe some states have discrimination laws related to weight and/or appearance

119. UpsetPanda says:

@themediatrix: How does that even make sense?!

120. skeleem_skalarm says:

@MasonMacabre: Yeah, I’ll send my son, a mixed martial arts fighter who looks like a very muscular stick (I know, funny picture) and can eat like you wouldn’t believe.

121. themediatrix says:

What’s your question JD?

Because you are right, it doesn’t make sense. The weights recommended on the charts are not “healthy” weights. There is no proof that thin people are healthier than fat people, in fact, science shows the exact opposite.

122. forgottenpassword says:

@SteveJeltzFan:

LOL!!!!! THAT was the first thing that came to mind when I read that it was an asian restaurant! LOL!

CLassic!

As for the story… I think that if you are going to have an all you can eat policy… then you deserve it when a wannabe sumo wrestler comes in & gorges! LOL!

Hey! That is the whole point of having an all you can eat buffet. You cant make it an all you can eat buffet for ONLY skinny people!

You cant have it both ways Mr. Restaurant owner!

@AdmiralNelson:

Completely aggree!

Everyone just LOVES to hate the fatties it seems. ANd just because they are LEGALLY taking advantage of a restaurant’s policy & were unfairly punished…. everyone seems that it was justified! BS!

123. forgottenpassword says:

Ps. I gotta say this Thread & thread’s comments are an absolute hoot! LOL! Best one in a LONG TIME! VERY entertaining!

From all the fattie-hating jerks (who think just because a person is fat… that they should be abused or ripped off) to all the tv/film references (That fat standup comedian whos name I cant remember, the simpsons’ homer at the all-you-can-eat sea captain’s restaurant, to monte python’s mr creosote scene)….. just fantastic!

Bravo!

124. comopuedeser says:

Lookout! I need to get to Luby’s quick before they implement the same policy.

125. HeHateMe says:

I am absolutely at a loss for words due to the actions of several people commenting on this article. It’s interesting to see how bigoted a few people truly are. A very sad day for this site.

Sticking to the nature of the site, the customers should not have been treated in that manner. It is deplorable that they were spoken to like that and expected to pay double what they agreed to. It’s an ALL YOU CAN EAT buffett. Fat or not they should never have had to deal with such a offensive and embarrassing situation.

126. HeHateMe says:

@themediatrix: you are right. here is an article: [www.webmd.com] “Death Risk Lower for Overweight People” on WebMD and if you google “overweight people” and “healthy” you will receive a large volume of responses.

127. Dashrashi says:

@themediatrix: As I understand it, it’s more of a j-shaped curve, with higher mortality at the underweight and obese ends of the spectrum, with lower mortality at “normal” and “overweight” BMIs, with the overweight having a very slightly lower mortality rate than the normal-weight. Interestingly, this seems to persist even when you account for smoking (which correlates to thinness and mortality) and pre-existing (or subclinical) health problems (same).

Anecdotally, it would seem to me that the overweight might be better able to withstand some illnesses that make one lose weight. E.g.: my uncle lived longer with stomach cancer because he was 25 lbs overweight when diagnosed than he would’ve had he been at a “normal” BMI, simply because of how fast the cancer made him lose weight and weaken. At the end, he did not have 25 extra pounds to spare, and it’s relatively clear that how thin and weak he was had a direct relationship to his immediate cause of death.

128. CPC24 says:

I grew up near the area, and believe me, buffets are a way of life there! While “nice restaurants” in other areas are usually cook-to-order, most nicer establishments there have to have a buffet. I think it has something to do with the high poverty levels and the lack of patience. When I moved away, I was surprised by the lack of buffets.

129. Trojan69 says:

@superlayne: The customer was accosted when he was eating from the first plate of food he had taken. He says he had been there three of four times/week for eight months.

Why was it only now that someone decided he was a problem? Why was he seated at all if he was a problem?

130. Trauma_Hound says:

@jtheletter: I was thinking the exact same thing. I would have insisted they call the cops, and let the cops sort out the real price.

131. KogeLiz says:

i’d be so pissed.
    what a horrible business.

132. IrisMR says:

Well, that lad’s fat (277 IS fat) but if you have an all-you-can-eat buffet, it’s ALL YOU CAN EAT for EVERYONE. Don’t like it, change your establishment’s policy for EVERYONE.

Can’t just start discriminating like that.

133. Tyr_Anasazi says:

@Bancho: What kind of crack are *you* on???

134. Dibbler says:

It’s funny how so many people are sending stories into this site trying to get sympathy and end up getting ripped apart. It’s great!!! I love it!!! My momma always told me “Stupid is as stupid does.”

135. HalOfBorg says:

@Dibbler: And just WHO deserves the sympathy here according to you?? The poor restaraunt owner?

“Wah Wah! I opened an All-You-Can-Eat and they want to DO THAT!!!!! WAH WAH WAH!”

I got takeout from AYCE Chinese place other day. Fill a styrofoam container. I got ripped off, because I could eat twice that much and paid full price.

But I knew about it of course (not complaining), but do NOT tell me “I’M DONE EATING” when I eat in.

136. VnlaThndr775 says:

@forgottenpassword:
    The comedian is John Pinette. “You go now! You been here four hour! Eat more vegetable!” He was also the mugging victim on the last episode of Seinfeld.

137. Miraluka says:

“I ain’t that fat, I only weigh 277,” Borrelli said

Hate to break it to you buddy, but unless you’re 6’6″ tall or taller…you’re fat.

138. Houma accountant Thomas Campo said the men were charged an extra $10 each on Dec. 21 because they made a habit of dining exclusively on the more expensive seafood dishes, including crab legs and frog legs.

1) Their weight has nothing to do with this.
    2) They shouldn’t have expensive foods on their buffet line if they can’t handle people eating a lot of it.
    3) Changing the price after the fact is FRAUD.
    4) It’s disingenuous to ban people for eating only one thing at a buffet. If you’re going to do that you should tell people up front.
    5) They shouldn’t have insisted on paying after they offered to make the meal complimentary when they were going to ban them anyway.

139. themediatrix says:

@DASHRASHI

“…with higher mortality at the underweight and obese ends of the spectrum, with lower mortality at “normal” and “overweight” BMIs, with the overweight having a very slightly lower mortality rate than the normal-weight.”

Actually, it’s not as slight a difference as you might have been led to believe. One would have to be *very, very, very* obese to encounter health problems directly related to obesity. Somewhere above the 350 range.

Sorry to hear about your uncle.

140. doireallyneedausername says:

@gmark2000:

Yeh…look at me…I’m gmark2000…I love making fun of Asian people and their accents. Prick.

@SteveJeltzFan:

Ditto.

141. TangDrinker says:

@JD: Kind of amazing that all of the reviews are from 1/2 or 1/3 and were written by people who only reviewed this place!

I’m not sticking up for the establishment at all, but I’d hate to think people are using the reviews from the Insiderpages as justification for how nasty the place is. (It being a buffet is probably justification enough…)

142. King of the Wild Frontier says:

I think that everyone’s a loser in this situation. The diners would apparently gorge themselves with the more expensive seafood, then whine because it isn’t replenished fast enough to suit them, but the owners can’t change the prices after the fact regardless. And apparently they try to charge parents an extra 20% if the kids don’t clean their plates. They’re nuts and will probably go out of business soon, I hope.

143. unklegwar says:

@Buran: There’s a difference between being defrauded (paying for something you didn’t get, large corporations crapping on the little guy, unconscionable situations,etc), and being insulted by some crappy AYCE buffet. One calls for public leverage, the other calls for “go eat elsewhere, and move on with your life”.

144. gmark2000 says:
  145. @JD: It’s because the government changed what was considered obese a few years back. People who used to be considered normal were suddenly too heavy. People slightly overweight are now obese and people slightly under weight are now normal.

146. camas22 says:

how did someone who eats so much they get kicked out of a cheap chinese buffet alert the mainstream media?

147. rikkus256 says: