Slumlord Dermot Company Finally Installs Boiler

Huzzah! Dan’s quest to not live in an icecube has succeeded. He writes:

The boiler’s been replaced and I’ve had consistent heat and hot water since xmas. Now i just have this unholy clanking coming from the steam pipe every morning b/t 3 and 5 am which jolts me from my bed in fear that its about to explode and take me with it. The super says hopefully it will get resolved this week.

And despite the fact that I’m fairly certain that, for my troublemaking, Dermot will either price me out of my apartment or fail to renew my lease come august, I can take some solace in the fact that the elderly people in my building now treat me like a local hero for getting Dermot to cave in a way they had never been able to.

All hail the power of public blog-shaming. Read the saga up until this point here.

Comments

1. pegr says:

Might want to check that “saga up to this point” link…

2. char says:

As a fellow resident of upstate Manhattan I heartily applaud your results.

3. ClutchDude says:

Sometimes, even when you win, you still have so much to lose.

4. hypnotik_jello says:

Is there some website which compiles a list of slumlords along with complaints in NYC? I’m moving to Manhattan in late spring and it would be nice to know to avoid certain landlords.

5. SpdRacer says:

Link no work

6. SacraBos says:

Congrat’s Dan! I pray you will still have reasonable housing come August.

7. GothamGal says:

The Heat Miser makes a return.

8. nursetim says:

Dermot did something to the link.

9. Myotheralt says:

You should call the TAPS guys from Ghosthunters, they also do rotorooter plumbing.

10. tadowguy says:

Why would you care if they “price you out of the apartment” in August? Why would you consider staying there? If you do stay there, I say that you shouldn’t submit anymore stories here because at that point it’s your fault.

11. BugMeNot2 says:

@Tadowguy: ya because moving is soooooooo easy to do. Lets blame the victim some more or are you just paid by Dermot to be an asshat?

12. Woofer00 says:

The clanking you hear is a nice accumulation of air that suddenly shoots through the pipes and creates an unholy banging at odd hours of the night. Typically a problem for leaky/unsealed steam systems or poor installs. I’ll let you pick which is the more likely issue.

13. coren says:

@sacrabos: Still? I don’t think he has it *now* :p

14. Juliekins says:

@Woofer00: That sounds…dangerous. I don’t know, I don’t like the words “boiler” and “leaky/unsealed” to appear anywhere near each other. *shudder*

15. LionelEHutz says:

People are just too soft these days. Way back when I was growing up we never had hot water or heat and my family lived in a cold climate. We didn’t complain when our dinner was cold just 30 seconds after coming off the stove. We didn’t complain when we had to walk 5 miles to school, through snowdrifts on ground covered in broken glass — in our bare feet no less!! No we didn’t complain. We didn’t play the victim. We suffered and we liked it. It built character.

16. MrWashy says:

Congratulations Dan! Woofer00 is probably right about the trapped air. The system probably wasn’t bled properly after the install. The clanking is trapped air bubbles moving through the pipes.

17. Electroqueen says:

Man, this is one of the reasons why I don’t live in Manhattan. Overpriced rent with #$@$ service.

18. Applekid ┬──┬ ノ( ゜-゜ノ) says:

Um, shouldn’t you wait until Dermot ACTUALLY DOES price you out or declines lease renewal before accusing them of doing it?

19. Beerad says:

@hypnotik_jello: Part of the problem is that the NYC housing market is soooooooo big — there are a near-infinite number of landlords/rental companies, so the chances that the place you’re eyeing will be controlled by a person/company that someone else (besides the other residents, who are probably your single best resource for landlord info anyway) is familiar with is pretty slim. IMHO, anyway. Your mileage may vary.

Your apartment search will likely revolve around three factors: location, price, and apartment quality. Decent landlord is, for better or worse, not something that usually makes the list.

@BugMeNot2: Well, it’s NYC, so moving apartments is something of a local hobby. Most of my relatively-fresh-out-of-college friends here have moved at least twice in the last three years. So yeah, it’s pretty common. Moving sucks, but it’s largely a fact of life unless you own a place.

I agree that if it’s that bad, I’d be all about moving. But if it’s a really good place (see the three factors listed above — a cheap price, especially, can forgive a lot) I can understand the desire to stay.

20. Nighthawke says:

*Clink/clank/whang!* Hmm, air in the lines from being unused for so long. Odds are they forgot to bleed the pipes fully before they lit it off, the lazy bums. The radiators ought to have air bleed valves on them to bleed it off. If not, poke the landlord agian.

21. OperationSnack says:

Quite funny to see this posted just as my heat and hot water (in a Dermot-owned Brooklyn apartment) keeps going on and off (mostly off. I woke up shaking from the cold last night at 3am). So, a great victory for Dan, but Dermot company still remains a terrible slumlord :-(. 9 months down on my lease, and I’ll be out of here in 3…if I don’t freeze first…