Buy Your 2008 Holiday Crap Now While It's Practically Free

If you’re one of those people who has more storage space than money (not us, sadly) go out right now and buy your 2008 holiday crap, while it’s 75% off.

Has there really been that much innovation in stupid reindeer doorknob cozies in the past decade? No. No there has not, so get out there and buy some dumb crap.

Also, we’re not Martha Stewart or anything, but we never felt that pine or candy cane scented candles were inappropriately “holiday themed” when used during the rest of winter. Just sayin’.

(Photo:saramarie)

Comments

1. badgerette says:

I use this time to stock up on foo foo baskets. You know, those plastic wrapped packages with bath salts, soaps & body washes. They aren’t generally holiday themed, but they go on sale with all the holiday stuff. I keep a stash of them in a tote in the basement & use them through the year for unexpected birthdays, thank you gifts, etc.

2. MikeB says:

I walked into Lowes on the 26th, looking to get a new tree for 70% off. While looking at what they had left, an associate walked up and told me that all trees were $10, so, I picked up 2 trees. One with Colored lights and one without.

3. LatherRinseRepeat says:

Right now most stores are selling LED xmas lights for cheap. You can stock up and light your house up like a Vegas casino next xmas. Or if you like to mess around with electronics, there are lots of LED projects for you to try at the instructables.com website.

4. choinski says:

I’ve built an entire dinnerware set off Christmas sales. No holiday imagery on them – they are basic red. But because red = ‘holiday’ to Crate n’ Barrel, I expand the set each January at 70% off. I also stock up on next year’s Xmas cards.

5. osiris7 says:

santascarestheshitoutofme.jpg

6. TheSeeker says:

So how much mark-up is originally on all these products that they can sell the items for so much off?
    Or are they selling these at a loss just to be rid of them because they have no where or do not want to store them for next year?

7. Myotheralt says:

Christmas 2008? pshaw! I’m already stocking for Christmas 2010, and easter 2013.

8. gitemstevedave says:

@TheSeeker: I’m guessing below 50%, there is a loss. But they sell so much before, and at 50%, they will accept the loss, and also the not having to store it. Whatever doesn’t sell at 75% is either sent back for credit, or to a discount outlet type store.

9. gitemstevedave says:

Along the post-Christmas sales, since I do not celebrate Valentines day anymore(reasons why here), I stock up on cute things right after that don’t say Valentines Day, and save them for a surprise day.

10. theloudcorral says:

see the problem with these sales is that everything is SUCH a good price, that I convince myself I need all of these useless dancing snowmen and then the next xmas I open up all the boxes wondering why I thought an xmas tree made from feathers was a good idea.

11. bohemian says:

Ok, so right now Target has all the holiday stuff for 75% off right? There are lots of red things that are not specifically holiday themed in those piles of stuff everyone was fighting over when I was there today.

In the front of the store was the start of the Valentines day blitz full of things that are ….. red.

12. wring says:

@bohemian: i loled.

13. DrGirlfriend says:

@bohemian: Any holiday connosieur would know that the two holidays share different version of the color red. How could the holiest day in the Christian calendar share a the same shade of red with a holiday promoting lust and sin? Anwer: it could not.

14. rkm12 says:

I got great candy deals at CVS today, it was all 75 percent off.

15. Imaginary_Friend says:

“…so get out there and buy some dumb
    crap.”

Heh! Yeah, ride that Chinese Poison Train into 2008. I defy anyone to find something — anything!– worth buying in all of this clearance crap that isn’t made in China or waiting for a recall.

16. SaraAB87 says:

I have enough Christmas crap to last till next year easily, so I am saving money by not buying anything.

Theres so much overstock holiday merchandise in the stores right now its ridiculous, and its all garbage junk.

17. iamme99 says:

It is undemocratic and supports terrorism by buying left-over XMAS crap!

18. arirang says:

@Imaginary_Friend: fake trees, LED lights, plastic coverings of wires, powercords, ipod earbuds = LEAD
    Lead is a plastic conditioner — and was used long before the Chinese Poison Train had its tracks laid down and left the station.

19. rbb says:

Target appears to leave the amount of the discount up to the local store. Found one at 75% so I stocked up Christmas lights for next year. I have to make sure I have enough C7s and C9s. They’ll never be replaced by CFLs ;^)

20. mopar_man says:

Some people get downright ridiculous about these sales. I drove through the Wal-Mart parking lot on the 26th and I saw one lady with 2 carts overflowing with wrapping paper, lights and whatever was buried on the bottom of the carts.

21. mopar_man says:

@SaraAB87:

I agree. With all these stores thinking it was a good idea to put Christmas stuff out in late September/early October, I’ve noticed there’s a lot more leftovers this year than previous years.

22. theblackdog says:

*rolls eyes* I am about to get rid of a big box of Christmas crap, why would I want to buy any more now?

23. FLConsumer says:

Crate & Barrel had a ton of holiday stuff on sale when I was at their NYC store on Friday. Most of it not specifically holiday, just red or has snowflakes on it.

Also, where are people finding LED Christmas lights now? I went to multiple Targets the day after Christmas and no LEDs to be found.

24. RBecho says:

I did my deal shopping on the 26th. It was only 50% off then, but the selection was much better than what was there at 75% off. While some things were still there, the vast majority of what I got at 50 was gone. Either way post Christmas deals are totally the way to go.

25. JessiesMind says:

@badgerette: Oooh, excellent idea, thanks!

I planned on buying clearance Christmas decor last year. Didn’t realize I’d forgotten until we were putting up the tree this year and discovered I’d pitched all the non-sentimental crap the year before. Personally, I thought the tree looked prettier with only the meaningful ornaments on it, but the kids weren’t amused.

They’re demanding the full decked-out, groaning with sparkling bulbs, cat-killing streamers and electric bill increasing lights. I told them they’re one blinded-guy away from turning Pagan and now they’re planning a Wicker Man festival for Summer Solstice with Mom as the sacrifice. Remind me to just keep my mouth shut next time. Little heathens…

*sigh*

26. morganlh85 says:

Few years back my mom bought some really nice wok gift sets with rice bowls, chopsticks, and the works for only $3, originally $30. Put them in the closet for the next year and they made excellent xmas gifts.