Texas: 14,800 pounds of stolen ground beef may be contaminated with E. coli, says the USDA. So, uh, just for now, don’t buy any ground beef from the back of a truck. [Reuters]

Comments

1. amed01 says:

*whew* thanks for the heads-up. I almost bought some burger from the guy going door-to-door towing a cooler of beef behind him.

2. goodkitty says:

@amed01: Is that a joke? Because I had a guy doing just that a few months ago. He seemed genuinely upset that I wasn’t interested in buying a year’s worth of frozen meat out of the back of his truck.

Anyway, the story reminded me of Soylent Green for some reason, when beef was rare (pun unintended). “When you make bad beef, only the criminals will have beef.”

3. gitemstevedave says:

I only had some yellow guy trying to sell me sugar. It did come with a free blasting cap.though.

4. HalOfBorg says:

Hmmmmmmmmmmmmm!!!! This burger tastes….funny.

5. speedwell (propagandist and secular snarkist) says:

So, uh, just for now, don’t buy any ground beef from the back of a truck.

You said more than you know. I won’t be frequenting any mobile taco stands for a few weeks.

6. JayDeEm says:

We actually have a guy who shows up every few weeks trying to sell meat out of the back of a truck. He doesn’t go door to door, instead he just pounces on anyone who happens to be in their driveway/garage when he drives by. What’s unsettling is that he keeps coming back, which can only mean that people are actually buying.

7. Electroqueen says:

Hold on. “Don’t mess with Texas” is the unofficial state motto, yet someone did by stealing 7.5 tons of beef. Well don’t that beat all?
    Why the #$@$ didn’t anyone pull a shotgun at those criminals?

8. faust1200 says:

@Electroqueen: Maybe the steers and queers rhyming motto got to the burglar first.

9. homerjay says:

@JayDeEm: This happened to me a few times when I was working in a showroom. Some guy would walk in and say he had extra meat leftover from a cancelled delivery and wanted to know if I wanted it.

A few years ago, some guys with a moving truck came down my street trying to sell furniture out of the back of it. They knocked on every door. I called the cops and was told they had a permit to do this. Crazy…