Christmas Cracker Contains Dead Mouse

See, this is why we don’t pull apart “crackers” on Christmas in the U.S.—a New Zealand woman found a dead, partially decomposed mouse in hers earlier this week during her family’s Christmas celebration. “I had said to my granddaughter ‘what’s the smell’ and we couldn’t work it out until we pulled the cracker.” Then: Merry Christmas! There’s a dead mouse in yer lap! “It ruined my appetite for the rest of the day,” she told her local paper.

Reuters helpfully explains, “Christmas crackers usually contain colored hats, small toys and jokes.”

“A far from cracking surprise – a dead mouse” [Reuters]
(Photo: Getty)

Comments

1. hollerhither says:

Actually, they sell these in the US and I’ve sent them a couple of times in Xmas packages to family members, as a novelty. But, uh, no rodents just yet. Yikes.

2. gitemstevedave says:

So the mouse wanted the colored hat?

3. Grrrrrrr, now with two buns made of bacon. says:

Merry Xmouse?

4. MercuryPDX says:

There is a mouse + Cheese + crackers joke in there somewhere….

5. synergy says:

I’m trying to figure out what exactly is this Christmas cracker which also can hold a toy. I was hoping there would be a helpful picture at Reuters, but no such luck.

6. forgottenpassword says:

Yeah, what exactly is a “christmas cracker” in kiwiland?

We all know that biscuits are not considered the same in england as they are in the US…. so it makes me wonder just exactly kiwis consider “christmas crackers”.

7. forgottenpassword says:

Ohhhhhhh…… [en.wikipedia.org]

Completely different than what I had in mind.

I woulda called it a “christmas Popper”. Those wacky brits/aussies/kiwis! :P

8. Mrs. Stephen Fry says:

My husband is English, and we always pull crackers every year at Thanksgiving and Christmas. No dead mice, though–usually just crappy plastic toys, bad jokes, and a paper crown. It is good fun.

9. emona says:

This article reminds me of the old Mr. Bean episode where he builds his own cracker with dozens of the little explosion bars. At the end – BOOM! – the whole house lights up.

10. Propaniac says:

The second half of this blog entry illustrates the kind of toys that are normally found in Christmas crackers. Honestly, I think a lot of kids would have more fun with the decomposed mouse.

11. Mrs. Stephen Fry says:

You can buy crackers that have really cool non-plastic toys in them. They cost a bit more, but they are a lot more fun.

12. What is with you consumers! First you complain when they shortchange you crackers for the same price. Now you complain when they try to give you something extra.

Some people are just never pleased.

13. Martha_Jones says:

Why do Americans not know what Christmas crackers are?? They are easy to find in the United States. My family has Christmas crackers every year and then we take silly pictures wearing the hats.

14. Youthier says:

@Martha_Jones: I’m shocked that this many people have never read Harry Potter. That’s the only reason I know what they are.

And since reading HP, I’ve always wanted to get some. This sort of turns me off.

15. Martha_Jones says:

@HeyHermano: These are a very very old tradtion. I wouldn’t let this one incident halfway across the globe turn you off! Check out Pier One or World Market and buy them cheap now that Christmas is over and just save them until next year :)

16. mamacita says:

Yeah. OK, well, uh, we found, uh, this mouse in one of your crackers, eh. Like, we was at a party and, uh, a friend of ours – a COP – opened one, and HE PUKED. And he said, uh, come here and get free crackers or, uh, he’ll press charges.