CPSC Head Nancy Nord Officially Thanks Congress For Consumer Product Safety Vote

Last week, the House of Representatives voted 407-to-0 to approve a consumer product safety bill that greatly increases the scope and power of the Consumer Product Safety Commission (CPSC). We have given CPSC acting chairman Nancy Nord a lot of grief for giving mixed signals to Congress on whether or not she actually wants the CPSC to have more power, but on the same day of the vote, she released a public letter condoning the bill and officially offering her support.

I want to thank the U.S. House of Representatives for passing landmark legislation today that finally gives the CPSC the additional tools and resources to address the growing issue of imports and other important product safety issues.

Back in July, I submitted to Congress a list of 41 specific legislative recommendations to give the agency added enforcement powers and tools, like the ability to require that all products covered by a mandatory safety standard be tested and certified to that standard. I have also repeatedly requested adequate resources and personnel to be able to effectively use these new tools. Today’s House action and the recent passage of the Omnibus Appropriations Act are significant steps toward giving the agency both the tools and resources we need to better protect American consumers.

I want to congratulate the members of the House Energy and Commerce Committee, particularly Chairmen John Dingell and Bobby Rush and Ranking Members Joe Barton and Cliff Stearns, for their leadership and hard work and that of their staffs on this, the most significant product safety legislation since the creation of the agency. Theirs was a truly bipartisan and comprehensive effort to craft and pass sound legislation and for that I am truly grateful. This bill vests the agency with significant new missions and mandates. I am committed to fully utilizing all the provisions of the bill for the benefit of the American people.

I urge the Senate to follow the House’s lead in passing bipartisan and sensible product safety legislation. The Senate and Congress should not go home this year without sending a bill to the President and I continue to stand ready to assist in that effort.

A committee in the Senate has ratified a similar bill, but it has yet to be voted on before Congress can present a final unified bill to the President sometime in 2008.

“US Consumer Product Safety Commission Acting Chairman Nancy Nord Applauds House Vote on Landmark Consumer Product Safety Legislation” [CPSC.gov]
(Thanks to burgundyyears for also seeing this, although burgundyyears seems pretty angry at us for making a Wild at Heart joke at Nord’s expense.)
(Photo: CPSC)

Comments

1. timmus says:

Why 407-0? Considering how most legislators are lapdogs of the industry, I am wondering who exactly this bill benefits. I’m skeptical that this is all about the consumer.

2. azntg says:

I love people who switch sides after the results come in.

3. TechnoDestructo says:

@timmus:

This is a “OH WONT SOMEONE PLEASE THINK OF THE CHILDREN!” thing.

Lead + babies = lost elections.

Also, say this woman IS a principled civil servant who legitimately has the best interest of the public in mind rather than just putting on a dog-and-pony show to maintain the illusion of oversight over industry.

Considering the consistent pattern of such people resigning during the Bush administration, I really doubt the climate encourages people to stand up for principle if they expect to keep their jobs.

Even if she ISN’T a hypocritical bitch, she probably didn’t have any choice but to wait until she was sure which way the wind was blowing before coming out as one of the good guys.

4. dotorg greg says:

she is not a civil servant, but a Bush administration political appointee and a former lawyer for corporations the CPSC regulates.

She and the administration fought this legislation from the get-go, and now she’s spinning like mad and trying to pretend that what happened is not an utter defeat and repudiation of the administration’s CPSC-strangling strategy.

5. ironchef says:

most Bush appointees are useless IMHO and asleep at the wheel.

6. ironchef says:

Take Michael Brown from homeland security for instance.

7. mconfoy says:

one more year thank god

8. jbl-az says:

I’m sure slow off the mark. I didn’t spot “Wild at Heart” — I thought it was a take-off (as it were) from “Airplane!”

/JBL

9. ARP says:

My guess is we’ll simply redefine the safe level of lead in toys so that its no longer dangerous. She won’t actually do anything about it. Don’t think it will happen? We’ve done if for our air, water, civil rights, constitution, tourture, etc. Yes, its a bit of political rant, but has a consumerism vein. You can simply use (questionable) legal methods to simply redefine what’s safe, fair, etc. in our consumer products and services.

10. burgundyyears says:

Nord went head-to-head with the Senate over their version of the bill, not the House, IIRC. The Senate wants to add lots of new jobs for the CPSC, including things they had never done before (e.g., mediating consumer complaints with corporations, I think?).

@ARP: As far as lead goes, we’re as safe as we’ve ever been. Pre-1970′s, toys were basically doused with the stuff, as no one thought much of slapping lead paint on anything (heck, it was good enough for our gasoline…).

11. Pop Socket says:

In other news, the foxes have approved new henhouse security standards.