Important Beer News: Miller Will Merge With Coors

So it’s official, Miller will be merging with Coors in the hopes of gaining market share from Budweiser, Bud Lite, Michelob, et al..

The venture was originally announced Oct. 9. Miller Brewing Co. and Molson Coors Inc. proposed the deal as a way to sell more Coors Light, Miller Lite and Miller Genuine Draft in the United States. The operation would target No. 1 Anheuser-Busch Cos. (NYSE:BUD) , which has nearly 50 percent of the market with products such as Budweiser, Michelob and Bud Light.

Molson Coors Chief Executive Leo Kiely said the transaction is expected to close in mid-2008, subject to clearance from U.S. antitrust authorities.

Beer wars! Choose sides now.

Molson, SABMiller sign definitive pact [CNNMoney]
(Photo:destinelee)

Comments

1. just_paranoid says:

whoa. my 2 favorite domestic beers. coor light, and miller light.

2. just_paranoid says:

*coors *miller LITE

sorry.

3. BigNutty says:

Good for them. Now they can begin the layoffs.

4. Johnny_Roastbeef says:

I’m definitely going with HD DVD.

Oh, Im sorry what were we talking about again?

5. hypnotik_jello says:

Shit merging with shit. How is this newsworthy?

6. hypnotik_jello says:

That’s like BestBuy and Circuit City merging…

7. freshyill says:

Bad beer is big business.

8. clocker says:

Miller merging with Coors might be “important” news but certainly has nothing to do with beer.

9. MCShortbus says:

As long as they keep their panther piss away from the local breweries, I am fine with that.

10. Bladefist says:

In college I drank bud light, and I was considered a high roller. Everyone in college drinks Natural Lite, Beast, or Bush light. That crap made me sick. Both while drinking and the next morning.

It’s too bad more people don’t respect beer, and drink beer from their local breweries.

I brew beer, and since then I don’t think I’ve had anything *lite* or *light*

11. just_paranoid says:

does anyone else remember the days when cans would just say BEER on them. the yellow cost cutter beer by kroger?

12. just_paranoid says:

try Upland Wheat. brewed in bloomington, indiana and it is the best beer i have ever drank.

13. Myron says:

Ah, Coors light. The training beer for 11 year olds everywhere.

Brings to mind that old joke about why American beer is best served ice cold.

14. Shappie says:

Good thing I worked for Budweiser.

15. just_paranoid says:

beer is for panzies. thats why i only drink pure gasoline! puts hair on your chest!

we could turn this into a pissing contest pretty easy.

16. DrGirlfriend says:

It is my secret shame that on a really hot day, I actually like a really cold Coors Light.

17. theblackdog says:

That’s easy…Coorller for the win!

18. Coors contributes a lot of money to Republicans.. I wonder his this is going to affect their PAC contributions. I have never even tasted Coors because of their ardent support of the GOP… I don’t even allow it into my house.

19. AndyDuncan says:

I’m a huge fan of alcohol in all of its forms: Beer, wine, liquor, sake, etc.

I dislike individuals who think that ‘good’ beer has to be dark, over 7% alcohol, and so f-ing sweet it tastes like they stopped fermentation half-way through.

I personally like Miller lite. A lot. I think it’s a good beer for what it tries to be.

Coors light, on the other hand, has very few redeeming qualities.

20. num1skeptic says:

doesn’t one of the beer companies donate money to locating and destroying marijuana fields? i heard that somewhere. something to do with the beer company thinking that was their biggest competition. probably a lie though.

21. num1skeptic says:

@DrGirlfriend: don’t be ashamed. coors light isn’t that bad. they sell quite a bit of beer.

22. num1skeptic says:

@AndyDuncan: i prefer miller lite over coors. miller has more flavor, and a better buzz. coors feel like i could drink it all nite and not get drunk. although i’ve never had a hangover from either one of these 2 beers. budweiser, i mean butt-wiper, gives me the worst hangover ever.

23. num1skeptic says:

when i drink coors i feel like i’m in that miller commercial,……”i can’t taste my beer!”

24. brendanm14 says:

@hypnotik_jello:
    that would be AB and Miller merging….so this is more like Circuit City and Radio Shack.

25. AndyDuncan says:

@num1skeptic: I wonder what the relative percentage of Coors Light drinkers under the age of 21 is compared to Miller Lite and Bud Light. I bet it’s significantly higher.

From a purely objective standpoint, Miller Lite has the most alcohol per calorie of the available light beers, so it’s technically the “lightest”.

26. AndyDuncan says:

Oh, and lets not forget that it’s not Miller, it’s “SAB Miller”, Miller already merged with South African Breweries a couple years ago, so this new company is f-ing huge.

27. AndyDuncan says:

@AndyDuncan: Err, I should RTFA, it’s just miller USA and coors USA.

28. grspec says:

Not unlike ghostbusters except instead of photon streams they crossed streams of piss.

29. savvy999 says:

I am great fan of Coors Light. It’s my daytime hydration/sports-performance beverage of choice, especially after a night of drinking beer.

30. Sparkstalker says:

@just_paranoid: “we could turn this into a pissing contest pretty easy.”

Isn’t it already? We’re comparing Coors Lite (Rocky Mountain piss), Miller Lite (Milwaukee piss), and Bud Lite (Clydesdale piss)…

31. num1skeptic says:

@AndyDuncan: not sure about underage drinkers, but i can tell you when i was underage, i drank what ever the guy who was buying for us bought. it was usually nasty and cheap as my older brother probably poketed the extra cash, but, beggers can’t be choosers.

32. nursetim says:

@just_paranoid:
    That’s an ironic phrase when talking about beer.

@AngrySicilian:
    You’re not missing anything.

Anytime I see beer talked about, I start jonesing for a Bell’s beer.

33. just_paranoid says:

i’ve never known of minors having a preference beyond beer, or vodka. we drank anything that was alcoholic period. a lot of skol or mccormicks vodka, nasty sh*t.

34. backbroken says:

@grspec:
    beat me to it. really.

35. just_paranoid says:

i find most people drink the same brand as their parents (if their parents are beer drinkers).

pbr- has to be hereditary because thats some nasty sh*t.

36. Zanpakuto says:

So this would be like Folgers and Yuban merging in the coffee world?

37. johnva says:

I try not to be a snob about it, but life’s too short to drink crap beer.

38. Munsoned says:

Public Service Announcement:

For all of you college age kids out there, the trick is to try to find the *ICE* version of [insert awful beer here]. Yes, it still tastes awful, but you might be able to get away with drinking less of it to get you to the same place (depending on the brand).

/That is all.

39. KillingMyBrainCells says:

Who cares! both of them along with Bud are just flavored piss water.

40. FredTheGreat says:

Can we please not talk about beer in the middle of an F’n Friday? Especially at the end of an exceptionally crappy week, it is such a tease to talk about it when I can’t drink it.

41. hwyengr says:

If this merger in any way improves the availablilty of Original Coors (Banquet Beer), I’m all for it. I still can’t find that stuff in a bar east of the Rockies.

42. deadlizard says:

American big brewers are going the way of American car companies.
    The Heinekens and the Coronas of the world are flying circles around
    the Miller/Coors guys.

43. monkey33 says:

@FredTheGreat: I know, I’m ready to go have a few myself at this point in the day.

My dad drank Busch Light and Schaffer when I was a kid. I’m a PBR fan for the “all I want to do is drink beer” moments. Boulevard Unfiltered Wheat (Kansas City) is my local beer of choice.

44. econobiker says:

Bring on the Schlitz Genuine Draft!!!

I actually drank Schlitz during college (mid’90’s) so no one would want to beg a beer off me; it was cheaper than the prefered college swill the Beast (Milwak. Best) much less than premium beers like Bud,Miller,etc; gave me less of a morning after headache than the Beast. Of course that is when I didn’t step up to Keystone…

45. just_paranoid says:

pbr?!…….i’d rather just vomit right now.

46. superborty says:

I think Coors and Dasani are from the same municipal water pipe. Coors is a beer that even I (Mr. malt liquor/street wine party) refused to drink in college.

47. catcherintheeye says:

As a Chicagoan, I can’t imagine anyone drinking anything other than Old Style.

48. ancientsociety says:

@catcherintheeye: Old Style!? Let me guess, you frequent either a lot of hipster bars or spend too much time in Wrigleyville…

49. edwardso says:

And they shall make the crappiest beer in the world

50. johnva says:

@econobiker: It’s a big stretch to call Bud or Miller “premium beers”.

51. Whatever. Labatt will take over the world. Canadians really know how to do beer, and ever since Molsen was taken over by that fascist Pete Coors it hasn’t been the same.

Vote: none of the above.

It’s either local, Labatt Blue, or Moose Piss (it’s a beer from Montana – look it up).

Other than that? I’ll clean my battery connectors with it.

52. MrEvil says:

Oh crap, my dad loves his MGD and hates Coors with a passion.

I’ll stick to my Shiner Bock/Hefeweizen, Guinness, and Red Stripe.

53. milw123 says:

This merger really sucks. The word here is that Miller will ditch it’s ancient brewery with union workforce here in Milwaukee in favor of Colorado. The brewery hasn’t seen any updating in years and the suits would rather be located near the west coast. So much for Brew City.

54. nevergod says:

i’ll stick with bud when it comes to that piss water.

55. nichomiz says:

I think we are all missing the big point here. These companies have just nullified all the accomplishments of the first Smokey and the Bandit film. Corporations chipping away at our film history one merger at a time.

56. HooFoot says:

@Bladefist: You forgot Pabst Blue Ribbon in that list. You should be ashamed of yourself!

57. Exek says:

Heineken

58. RandomHookup says:

No impact here, unless they start giving the stuff away….and even that may be iffy.

59. kenboy says:

My current favorite is the “UFO” wheat beer from Harpoon, but I generally buy local — Brooklyn Brewery or Flying Fish. It amazes me that the mass market beer, as bad as it is, is so ubiquitous.

60. SwampAssJ says:

Good to know that when I want some sparkling water with some alcohol, I have 1 fewer companies to choose from.

61. SwampAssJ says:

For people talking about beer in college. I just got out and when in college I would fuck with people with beers. “Hey try this” and I would hand them a very hoppy IPA (or even double IPA) or a very dry Irish stout and watch their faces. First beer I ever enjoyed was a Guiness Draught and I could never drink anything light without thinking it was club soda.

62. matahari says:

Please tell me that Miller High Life is staying the same!!! I don’t care what anyone else thinks, it’s my favorite cheap beer, plus I am a total sucker for the clear glass bottles and old-fashioned labels. It’s the Champagne of Beers!

63. hwyengr says:

@SwampAssJ: The first rule of being a beer snob is knowing how to spell the names of beers.

64. BIGmog says:

American beer is like sex in a raft.
    Fsckin close to water.

65. MYarms says:

American beers are a lot like American cars.

Worthless.