Firebrand, The TV Show That's Just Commercials

Firebrand is a new TV show is just 60 minutes of commercials. “CJs” will introduce the ads, interview the stars, and provide banal banter. The show was started by an MTV co-founder, who said, ” “We’re changing the model again… We took promotion videos no one wanted and ran them.” The show runs late-nights on the ION network in LA, the place where all things devoid of substance are born.

Firebrand [Official Site]
Show pitches ads as entertainment [LAT via Stay Free! Daily]

Comments

1. homerjay says:

Oh for the love of God, JUST PAY THE WRITERS WHAT THEY WANT!!!

2. Dead Wrestlers Society says:

I was surfing around the channels and stopped on it the other day for a minute because of the ultra-hottie brunette that was hosting. But then I moved on.

3. just_paranoid says:

mtv is a joke. their lucky they have the high school kids brainwashed into watching it.

4. DrGirlfriend says:

They’re “changing the model again”, huh? Aren’t we proud of ourselves.

They interview the “stars” of commercials? Fascinating.

5. Antediluvian says:

“CJs” will introduce the ads, interview the stars, and provide banal banter.

I mis-read that as “provide anal banter.”

The more I think about it, though, I think “banal” is a typo and I’m actually correct.

6. cabooglio says:

Yes, their very lucky indeed. Mtv should thank they’re lucky stars. It’s amazing how many idiots their are out they’re.

7. DrGirlfriend says:

@Antediluvian: I read it that way too. Heh.

8. Antediluvian says:

@homerjay: Yeah, but those writers make me madder than a yak in heat.

9. savvy999 says:

“CJ” shall only be used to denote a certain awesome line of Jeeps, created between 1944 and 1986. It shall never be used to denote silicone-based, credit-card-devouring, talking robots.

10. drrictus says:

“This week’s sign the apocalypse is upon us…”

11. loueloui says:

If it comes from MTV you know it’s good moronic crap. This is the reason I got a DVR, not to record this garbage, but to avoid it.

I once tried to use the pay-through-tier loophole in the cable franchise system to avoid paying for MTV, HSN, QVC ShopNBC, the spanish channels, and other garbage. I don’t care if you lower my bill by 5 cents, I don’t want to subsidise these idiots one single penny.

12. noquarter says:

Their website also crashed my browser. So apparently everything about them sucks, and not just the concept.

13. HOP says:

oh man, i cant wait…..

14. just_paranoid says:

@noquarter: and their website has the most annoying music ever in the background

15. @just_paranoid: Nice user icon. Looks oddly familiar…

Also, I have been suggesting this as a programming idea for at least ten years. It looks like my pets have been talking to someone in LA.

16. Starfury says:

I’m old enough to remember when MTV was worth watching.

Not any more.

17. BigNutty says:

MTV lost me back when they changed from nonstop music video’s. I live in the L.A. area and watch a lot of late night T.V. while I use the computer.

At times there has been an infomercial on EVERY CHANNEL at the same time, even the major networks.

I have tried to get every station in the L.A. area to put on old movies like they used to do in the 70′s but the money from infomercials is just too great. This new venture is so stupid it is kind of entertaining, for a few minutes.

18. rmontcal says:

If I had recently been hired as a CJ, I would scared shitless and would continue my job search.

19. Skiffer says:

From MTV? not surprising at all…

20. firesign says:

@cabooglio: your comment almost made me spit coffee. winnar.

21. lastfm says:

I have to give it to them, these are the better ads I have seen.

22. DrGirlfriend says:

@cabooglio: oh the irony.

23. macinjosh says:

Will they show the classic Armour Hot Dogs? That’s my favorite.

24. theblackdog says:

MTV blows chunks now, they should change their name to Reality TeleVision (RTV) since all they show now is Real World, and Pimp My Ride.

25. youbastid says:

Yeah, just because they changed the model once doesn’t mean 2nd times a charm…Those “promotional videos” for songs actually had appeal. People wanted to see them, because they were songs that they liked represented visually. But then again, this will only be late-night programming, which is when there’s nothing but commercials on anyway. And this breaks ground because it breaks the fourth wall by providing interviews with the stars!
    Brilliant! I change my position.

26. floydianslip6 says:

@cabooglio: heh heh heh

27. nursetim says:

Guess Demolition Man was sort of prophetic.

28. econobiker says:

Why should a company get and pay writers when they can get free enter-mercials from for profit companies…

Gosh, I loved it back in the ’70′s with the old b&w monster movies on late night and the same damn commerical every time. I even remember that there used to be the 4:30pm movie during weekdays (pre-phil and oprah)…

29. FredTheGreat says:

How is that different than anything else on TV? Because last time I checked it was pretty much all commercials anyway.

30. FredTheGreat says:

@FredTheGreat: Wait does it have commercial breaks during the show? And if so how do you know the difference between the show about commercials and the actual commercials. Sweet Jesus this whole concept sucks and makes my head hurt.

31. sevas_tra says:

It’s been playing in Iowa for at least a couple weeks. It really is as awful as it sounds.

32. IconoclasticFlow says:

We get this in Chicago, too. It’s oddly compelling. . . I’ve found myself more than once watching for 30 minutes or more.

33. Aphex242 says:

It ain’t just L.A., I’m in Dallas and saw this the other night.

They really did have quite a few really remarkable commercials but I honestly can’t imagine this would stay interesting.

34. @FredTheGreat: It’ll be like the Movie Trailer show they used to air on E! breaking for a commercial…that turns out to be a trailer.

The only way a show about commercials (that aren’t movie trailers) works is if you make fun of the ads.

35. toddiot says:

@Starfury: Did you suddenly become 20 years younger after after these commercials?

36. Nemesis_Enforcer says:

@theblackdog: Yep between MTV and MTV2 I watch exactly 2 hours of programming. Headbangers Ball Baby! FTW!

37. Nemesis_Enforcer says:

@Nemesis_Enforcer: Acch can we have the preview function back? I meant to add that even just watching those 2 hours I can see how screwed up thier advertising scheme is. I am watching a Metal oriented show..do you really think I want to see ads for rappers or watch some dj in his studio mixing new pop tracks? Seriously..

38. Oh, my friends, its also in Chicago. I’ve been seeing this while flipping through the 6 channels I get with my bedroom TV set with rabbit ears. My main question is: Why the heck is this on broadcast TV?

39. speedwell (propagandist and secular snarkist) says:

My dad took us to visit his parents in Communist-held Hungary 25 years ago. The local TV stations, a trifle unclear on the concept, concentrated all commercials (yes, commercials in a country where the government owned the means of production, go figure) into an hour-long segment latish in the afternoon. It was the favorite part of the day for the non-Hungarian children, because the commercials were so simpleminded we could actually understand them without translations. That’s what this ION nonsense reminded me of.

40. FredTheGreat says:

@Rectilinear Propagation: Ah, gotcha. Thanks for the clarification.

41. loueloui says:

@FredTheGreat:

I guess this is a bunch of smaller commercials smushed together into one super-megazord-informercial, so I’m guessing no. Kinda like a timeshare for infomercials, which is like pissing on shit.

42. yagisencho says:

Thanks for the warning/reminder why not to bother turning on the tv. I’m down to three hours a week now (including television shows on DVD). And I’m a much happier person for it!

43. synergy says:

How’s this new again? Isn’t that what’s called QVC? It’s also like non-stop infomercials. Same difference.

44. rdm24 says:

What a cruel–and fully justified–slap on LA!

45. Shadowfire says:

Actually, there are some funny as hell commercials that I’ve never seen before from all around the world on Firebrand. Also, as said earlier, one of the women who hosts the show is freaking hot.

46. homerjay says:

@Antediluvian: Why?

47. Antediluvian says:

@homerjay:
    Visit [www.snpp.com]
    (Ctrl-F / Cmd-F, search for “yak” — no inline links)

I figured, you of all people…. Well, maybe Poochie and Roy too, but you I was sure of.
    :-)

48. miguelggarcia says:

I’ve been watching this show with my wife and we really like it! Probably because we both majored in Marketing, but we find it quite interesting.

:-)

49. DamThatRiver says:

This reminds me of a quote from the DJ of the alternative rock station in Grand Theft Auto: San Andreas when she says that someone should make a radio station that plays all commercials:

“Losers high on crack will love it!”

50. Valhawk says:

Its like everyday I find a new reason to hate people. MTV’s continued sucess makes the top ten.

51. LVP says:

Caught this one night when I could not sleep. Although it’s ads I found it kind of neat to be able to see ads from some directors who’s work I enjoy. I’m in Graphic Design and Advertising so I find it very interesting.

52. dgnonymous says:

just to clarify -

MTV doesn’t have anything to do with Firebrand. The connection to MTV comes from one of the guys in charge of the company – John Lack.

Anyone catch the celebrity CJ appearance of Charlie Murphy on Christmas eve?
    Funny stuff.

53. columbia says:

I admit that the concept sounded weird but when you think about it, there are some really great commercial out there. I checked out the site and caught it on ION a couple of times and found myself watching for about 30 minutes. The commercials are the cool ones, interesting, cool production value, etc. Better than a lot of the crappy shows!