Remove Pen Marks From Dolls With Acne Medications

Dirty dolls? Acne medication + sunlight = awesomely removing pen marks from dolls, blogs Baby Toolkit. Acne meds are diluted benzoyl peroxide. This reacts with the UVs in sunlight to release oxidizing agents that dissolve the pen marks, without bleaching the doll or removing paint. Instead of tossing out that dirty doll, you can clean it up.

Clear Unsightly Blemishes: the Case of the Ballpoint Baby Doll [Baby Toolkit via BoingBoing]

Comments

1. TurboWagon00 says:

Yeah, but how do I get pen marks off of actual babies ? Huh ? Answer that smartypants ?!

2. IrisMR says:

WOah! That is pretty awesome… I had some dolls I would have wanted to clean before giving them away.

3. Buran says:

@TurboWagon: Acetone usually does the trick if I accidentally mark my hand while uncapping or capping a pen or permanent marker. If that doesn’t work, I try alcohol.

4. virginiabelle says:

that is my younger sister’s doll, “Baby.”

5. rednrowdy says:

@TurboWagon: hairspray. if you spray a little hairspray on the skin and use a baby wipe, it comes right off.

hairspray also works for ink on clothing, too.

6. umm, okay, i’ll file this under things i will never need to know

7. bunnymen says:

That’s one creepy looking doll there. Although it looks 50% less dead without the pen marks…

8. Skiffer says:

Good god…

For a second, before I read the title, I thought those were pics of actual babies – the middle one especially looks like a victim of acid-in-the-face…

9. Snooties says:

@TurboWagon: Acne medication + sunlight… This reacts with the UVs in sunlight to dissolve the pen marks, without bleaching the baby or removing hair. Instead of tossing out that dirty baby, you can clean it up.

10. iamlaughing says:

@Skiffer: even worse, before I read the title, I thought a guy had pleasured himself all over that doll…sick me out.

11. stevemis says:

So, if you have a baby doll with pen marks on it’s face.. don’t throw the baby out with the bath water.

12. Shadowman615 says:

@Buran: “If that doesn’t work, I try alcohol.”

You mean you drink until you forget about the pen markings?

13. Vicky says:

Nice. My benzoyl peroxide prescription (yay adult acne!) bleaches all my towels and random other items of clothing which accidentally come in contact with said towels. I never thought to use it specifically for that purpose.

14. reznicek111 says:

I remember seeing Barbie dolls with faces covered in blue ink smudges…how on Earth they got that way, I have no idea. :) Did someone put this baby doll in their pocket protector?

15. Buran says:

@Shadowman615: Hah. No, we have pure alcohol here for scientific purposes. (You don’t want to drink that stuff).

16. virtuallori says:

Those dolls are creepy.

17. what kind of individual collect dolls as a hobby? Maybe a better question would be what kind of individual would collect dolls as a hobby and then find a quirky way to clean them?

18. ceejeemcbeegee is not here says:

@Tian: Pre-school teachers?

19. JeffM says:

@ceejeemcbeegee:
    Highly doubt that one…

20. scoosdad says:

Now who are these people who are writing all over the faces of these dolls anyway?

21. milw123 says:

Forgotten pen + (daughter and baby doll) = Facial tatoos for baby doll. Our daughter has managed to zero in on any pen left out and proceed to mark up 3 of her dolls. Have to try this out this weekend.

22. ceejeemcbeegee is not here says:

Here’s some perspective:

I used to teach pre-K. Never. Again.

Anyway, we had an area where there were toys like dolls, a kitchen set, dump trucks, blocks, etc. The kids used to get crayon everywhere. On the walls, on the carpet, on the desks, and on all the toys. It was MAD irritating. A tip like this is very useful to a teacher.

Just saying… pen marks and smudges on dolls isn’t so strange…

23. Whyaduck says:

@TurboWagon: Formula 409 and steel wool. Damn I miss my babies.

24. swalve says:

Nice tip. In other news, you can also stain furniture with $8000 a gallon printer ink.

25. How utterly niche (and bizarre) is this! Or are inked dolls really a big-spread problem?