Gift Idea: Buy Someone A Magnum

Tyler Colman, Ph.D., also known as Dr. Vino, suggests giving magnums this year because those huge bottles have a smaller carbon footprint due to the more favorable wine-to-glass ratio.

“They’re actually more environmentally friendly since they have a small carbon footprint per ounce of wine. And then there’s the bling factor,” Dr. Colman tells us.

Hey we’re all for bling. Dr. Colman has chosen five magnums that are all under $100 and would make great gifts for the treehugger or rap mogul on your list.

Give the gift of big, green wine [Dr. Vino]

Comments

1. dysthymia says:

oh wine? nevermind. Although yes, you gave me an idea what to ask, and never going to get. :P

2. chili_dog says:

Wine to glass ratio give me a break. What’s the Dr. Vino Insane to loon ratio?

3. LilKoko says:

@dysthymia: LOL! Unless there’s another meaning I don’t know — yep, I was REALLY interested in the other one, too.

4. swalve says:

slow news day?

5. mattshu says:

Smaller carbon footprint?

In the words of South Park’s Kyle, “really?”

6. 92BuickLeSabre says:

Unfortunately many magnums (no, not all) have a significantly less favorable crappytaste-to-glass ratio.

7. bohemian says:

This story is just screaming for a screenshot of the South Park episode about San Francisco.

Uh, wine wasn’t the first thing that came to mind for me either and I thought that was a wildly inappropriate suggestion for what to buy my parents.

8. Skeptic says:

Yeah, that’s a great idea, if you are going to drink the entire bottle in one night. You forgot to quote his all important caveat: “Providing they drink it all, of course.” That is a rather big “of course.” I don’t know about you, but I don’t knock back a Magnum of wine a night. I suppose for dinners of 4 or more people or parties it may make good sense if the wine is decent.

9. badgeman46 says:

Why dont we just sell wine by the tankload then, while we are at it.

10. Schmee says:

well its nice to see I wasn’t the first that thought of something besides wine… seriously, I’ve never even heard the word magnum used in the context of wine before (well until now).

11. nichomiz says:

Do you friends a favor, avoid the bottled stuff and go straight for the boxed kind. That’s the good stuff.

12. TheName says:

Hmm … wine? Go for the magnums of beer instead. Much better for sipping around the fire e.g.,
    Anchor Christmas. Spicy, tasty, and only 14 bucks!

13. AD8BC says:

Carbon footprint.

One of the biggest scams in world history.

14. oneswellfoop says:

Try the Arbios cab from the Alexander Valley California. It’s less than $50 for an autographed bottle(at least the ones I got were)and the gentleman who produces the wine and his wife have a cult following for their wine in their area. I suggest a decanter to help open it up a tad, and you’ll need a spout and screen(or at least a cheese cloth to pour it through) as this wine is not filtered.
    Also keep in mind that magnums and larger bottles keep longer and age more slowly than a normal format bottle because a smaller proportion of the wine is exposed to the same amount of air in the neck of the bottle(same amount of air as normal format bottle). This lessens the chance of a very old bottle turning to vinegar even with proper storage.
    I also suggest taking large format bottles with you if you are going to eat a nice place with a decently sized party. With a magnum you’ll pay one corkage fee as opposed to the two corkage fees you’ll pay if you bring two normal format bottles to provide the same amount of wine.

15. Parting says:

You were talking about wine :( Title was so enticing.

16. clevershark says:

It’s an excellent way for people to be able to tell themselves they’re thinking about the environment as they load the heavy crates of wine into their SUVs!

17. jook says:

@LilKoko:
    Get your mind outta the gutter :p
    I thought of a gun.

18. jook says:

@Schmee:
    I’d never heard of it used that way either… And the title had me thinking of something more exciting…

19. Icepagoda says:

“This is a 44 magnum, the most powerful bottle of wine in the world, and it can blow your inhibitions cleeeeean off…”

20. hi says:

Tyler Colman, Ph.D., also known as Dr. Vino, also known as Dr. Wine-o, also known as Magnum Man, also known as Tyler Colman, Alcoholic and not a real Dr.

21. rmz says:

I’m about to start trout-slapping anybody who uses the words “carbon footprint” ever again.

22. LeopardSeal says:

@rmz: Amen to that.

23. Blueskylaw says:

I’m all for the environment, now gimmee my magnum.@

href=”#c3403353″>Icepagoda: