Vonage Sued For Infringing 12 More Patents

Will Vonage’s troubles ever cease? They’re now being sued by Nortel for infringing not one, not two, not three—but twelve patents.

Twelve.

Vonage initiated the proceedings by suing Nortel over three patents, and Nortel countered by suing Vonage for infringing on those three—plus 9 more.

From Marketwatch:

The patents relate to technology that forms the basis of Internet-based voice service, as well as features such as 911 and 411 calling and click to call, according to Nortel spokesman Mohammed Nakhooda.

Vonage, meanwhile, had filed an earlier suit alleging that Nortel had violated three of its patents.

“Litigation is ongoing, and both parties have filed, and will continue to file papers supporting their case,” said Vonage spokesman Charles Sahner.

This strategy is excellent. Maybe Nortel can borrow Verizon’s team of super robot lawyers.

UPDATE: Nortel Files Patent Lawsuit Against Vonage [Marketwatch]

Comments

1. yg17 says:

Wait…so Nortel has a patent on calling 411 and 911? The hell?

Nortel sucks anyways (Of course, me being a Cisco guy couldn’t have anything to do with my dislike of Nortel now, could it? :D)

2. uclajason says:

Nortel’s lawsuit against Vonage has not been posted on my source for judicial documents. Vonage’s documents have been poster. The fact is that everyone is reporting that Vonage sued Nortel over 3 patents. The 3 patents are 6,091,808; 6,445,695; 7,050,861. All the patents are currently owned by Nortel. When Vonage sued they basically were asking the court to invalidate Nortel’s patents or alternatively Vonage wanted the court to say that Vonage was not infringing the patents. Given that information Nortel was not going to sit around and do nothing. I would say Vonage’s lawsuit was asking to be answered by Nortel with an infringement action.

3. PølάrβǽЯ says:

I find it hard to believe that Vonage has apparently infringed on hundreds of other’s patents, but non of the other big VoIP providers have. You mean to tell me that every other VoIP company out there invented there own VoIP technology, completely different from any other provider’s technology? And Vonage was the ONLY company that didn’t?

I call bullshit. Vonage is just an easy target. I bet if someone looked into Packet8 or ViaTalk’s technology, somewhere they would find SOMETHING that they “borrowed”.

4. PølάrβǽЯ says:

@yg17: “Wait…so Nortel has a patent on calling 411 and 911? The hell?”

LMAO! SERIOUSLY! That’s a damn good point!

5. iamme99 says:

@AARON8301-Vonage has money, the others don’t. That’s why they are getting sued. [lol]

6. uclajason says:

@yg17:
    I think we would all be shocked at the stupid things you are allowed to patent. How fair is it that someone is able to patent technology that allows VOIP calls to go to 911 or 411? Not very fair at all. Patent law allows it though.

7. Zaphâ„¢ says:

If Nortel wins I wonder if that is what puts Vonage into the ground. If that happens will they unlock my router for me?

8. vlv723 says:

What a country we live in…if you lose, sue to win

9. doctormoondog says:

Vonage already has one foot in the grave and the other on a banana peel thanks to the bazillion dollar judgments against them in the Verizon and Sprint lawsuits. I can’t imagine them being able to take another big $$$ hit if they lose this one.

10. tedyc03 says:

In that case I’m patenting the method for stamping summons and complaints with dates and filing them in court to prevent stupid s*it like this from getting filed in the first place.

11. uclajason says:

@tedyc03: if you could only do that we may have a better world.

12. warf0x0r says:

Please 8lb 6oz baby jesus stop the telecoms from destroying Vonage.

13. TangDrinker says:

@aaron8301: It’s a little more complicated than that – read the patents UCLAJason posted above. If you’re in fire fox, just highlight the number, right click and search in google – the patents will show up.

14. Trauma_Hound says:

With all these lawsuits the poor customer service, and the nationwide outage that was under reported this last weekend, I’m quiting vonage in favor of Voip your life. They actually answered the phone on the first ring, and they sound like they are from this country.

15. scatyb says:

@yg17: I find Nortel systems difficult to maintain…of course I manage an old Nortel system using meridian mail. Still, the new stuff our vendor keeps trying to sell, has more features, but only contains a beefed up set of commands. Whoopie?

Yeah Cisco is nice.