"Hoh Hoh" Says Wal-Mart

The War on Christmas has taken a sneaky left turn, with Coke and Wal-Mart mounting an entirely unanticipated attack on one of the world’s most beloved phrases! A reader, Josh, was shopping and/or protesting in his local Wal-Mart recently when he saw this in-store display for soda.

Okay, seriously: is there some sort of Adbusters-financed shadow organization that’s sneaking intentionally bad sign makers into our discount superstore workforce? Or do we need to start searching for an emoticon that represents “Idiocracy”? Huh huh?

(Thanks to Josh!)

Comments

1. PølάrβǽЯ says:

@ Chris Walters: “Or do we need to start searching for an emoticon that represents “Idiocracy”? Huh huh?”

Yes. Yes we do.

2. MercuryPDX says:

Maybe it’s in response to the people who think “Ho Ho Ho” is a pimp referring to three women, and not something Santa would say?

3. LESSTHANKIND says:

I think this would be a sneaky RIGHT turn… we lefties love ho’s. We ARE ho’s. Just ask the righties!

4. 92BuickLeSabre says:

“Hmmm…The boss said to put HO HO HO, but I’m one case of Diet Coke short.” *very dim lightbulb goes off*

5. wyckedone says:

Subliminal ad for Dasani.

6. Televiper says:

It’s ironic considering the fact that Coke is responsible for on of the world’s most iconic images Santa Claus. Maybe some geek wanted it have a palindrome so it was legible from every angle.

7. ConsumptionJunkie says:

Water is H2O, so HOH HOH = Water Water

8. ColoradoShark says:

9. no.no.notorious says:

Someone came into my work today saying how “ho ho ho” us now offensive, so the modern day Santa now says “ha ha ha”.

i sort of can’t wait to die

10. clyde55 says:

Is that $2.98 a twelve pack? That’s not even much of a sale.

11. B says:

I was in Wal-Mart today and they wished me a “happy holiday” I’m totally calling Bill O’Reilly.

12. DrGirlfriend says:

I really want to remove the top 12-packs from the O’s, so that it will read HUH HUH.

13. itsgene says:

… and yet, was I the only one who was amused and a little impressed by the initiative of some underpaid Wal-Mart “associate” stacking the boxes in such a way to elicit a smile? Yeah, the “Hoh” was worth a head shake, but the sentiment was kind of nice.

14. AstroPig7 says:

Maybe they“re referring to the Native American tribe (residents of the Olympic Peninsula in Washington).

15. iamme99 says:

How about:
    F*** Christmas – Eric Idle
    [www.youtube.com]

16. Parting says:

Some people have TOO MUCH time on their hands. There a massacre in Darfour, financial crisis in USA, war in Afganistan and hunger in many places on Earth. And these ”sainter than the crowd” people who complain for idiotic reasons, trying to appear some kind of ”heroes”.

Or more perverts : who esle would appropriate this kind of meaning to friggin Santa’s laugh.

17. So this is why Bill O’Reilly’s head exploded at News Corp headquarters in NYC today.

(Yes, yes, I know, chemical explosion, one small injury, no one seriously hurt. Lighten the frick up.)

18. smallestmills says:

@chouchou:

Anyone who changes the Wal*Mart signs is a hero to me. Darfour is half a world away, and they probably don’t even have Coke or Wal*Mart there so their opinion doesn’t count.

19. camille_javal says:

@Chris Walters: The Australia story has been semi-debunked, according to snopes – there was the “ha ha ha” suggestion, but it had more to do with small children seeming to be more easily spooked by a big dude booming “ho ho ho” and coming at them. (Truth be told, I was kind of scared of santa when I was very little.)

[www.snopes.com]

20. Imaginary_Friend says:

They probably wanted to cross-promo the Hoh Hoh coke with their credit card panties, but the PC police ruined it for everyone.

[consumerist.com]

21. SOhp101 says:

@ConsumptionJunkie: Maybe it’s Wal-Mart’s way of subliminally hypnotizing customers to purchase more Dasani water?

22. XianZomby says:

“Ho ho ho” refers to a prostitute that works for snack cakes.

And this here isn’t part of the “War on Christmas.” This is part of the war on the War on Christmas. See, who took the hit here was the secularists, not the religious. If the entire Santa/Rudolph/elves/snowman/sleighs/mistletoe/egg nog/Jingle Bells clan fell off the radar entirely, it would be a win for the Christmas people. Because Christmas is about somebody being born, not about chestnuts roasting on a fire.

23. @camille_javal: Well that sure takes all the fun out of that story. Curse you again, Snopes!

However, the Snopes article was signed as follows:

Barbara “tough row to ho” Mikkelson

I’m not sure what that means, but I’m pretty sure she’s calling herself a badass ‘ho. [shrug]

24. scampy says:

@chouchou:

Who cares about Darfur, and hungry people in other countries. We should worry about ourselves. We have enough problems of our own to worry about the rest of the world and what they think of us. There are far too many people who care about what others think. That’s called vanity. Who cares what other people think of us

25. forgottenpassword says:

@no.no.notorious:

dont forget they are also trying to slim down the image of santa! He’s not supposed to be a jolly fat man anymore…. ’cause ya know… it sends the wrong message to kids.

SO I shall be joining you as you “sort of cant wait to die”.

26. DrGirlfriend says:

I can certainly wait to die, but I actually wouldn’t mind going all Thoreau and disappearing into a remote cabin in the wilderness for a couple of years. When I was a kid and first read Walden I thought it sounded horribly boring to retreat like that, but now I sorta get it.

27. doctor_cos wants you to remain calm says:

@wyckedone: Best. Comment. All others are pale imitations, so I stop now.

28. mdkiff says:

@ColoradoShark: Excellent call, even if that’s not what they were thinking.

29. Rusted says:

@scampy: If enough people think badly of us, they could start using more euros or even perhaps Canadian dollars as international currency.

@XianZomby: It’s about tree worship, watching the color combination of red and green to fail yet again, and buying stuff that other people don’t need nor want.

30. scoosdad says:

@ColoradoShark: I also vote for this explanation, it makes the most sense given that the stack is obviously sitting out in the middle somewhere with access and viewing from both sides.

I wouldn’t call the price on the sign that good, though. When my local supermarket puts Coke on sale, you can usually get it for less than $2.50 a 12 pack.

Where did the comment preview function go, BTW? I used to see it on the page directly above the box where you type the comment in, it’s been gone for me for about a week now. Makes proofreading a pain.

31. karlrove says:

My bet is on some stupid middle-manager who heard about that ho, ho, ho nonsense, and although disagreeing with it, decided to do this because s/he is a tool.

that’s how all of this stuff happens.

same goes for the people who say “can I say Merry Christmas anymore?” Of course you can, you dumb a$$, why would you let a big-box retailer dictate what you can and cannot say?

32. Rusted says:

@karlrove: I like to say Merry (censored) Christmas.

33. Myron says:

But consider the symmetry. There wasn’t time for “a man a plan a canal panama”

34. Jean-Baptiste Emanuel Zorg says:

@ColoradoShark:
    Looks like you beat me to the OH OH OH explanation. I agree

35. t0fu says:

CocaCola and the other major vendors (Pepsi/RC/Frito/etc) are responsible for putting their own displays up.
    Unless someone rearranged the display after it was up, The Coke Merchandiser is responsible for this smooth move :)

36. Anonymously says:

So what? They can’t spell, or maybe that’s how you spell it in their vernacular. The scene is still appropriately Christmasy.

37. montecon says:

Dont be quick to blame Walmart. the Coke and Pepsi distributers/bottlers are normally the ones who always stack the shelves full of soda (NOT store employees) for larger grocery stores, so it very well might be them to blame.

38. timsgm1418 says:

at our Walmart this weekend they had signs everywhere that said

“all Christmas items in this isle 25% off”

My daughter & I corrected a few signs (we just couldn’t resist) I also told the cashier, who seemed moderately intelligent, she was shocked and said she would tell the manager of the department. Sadly it was probably the manager that made the signs

39. Balisong says:

@ColoradoShark: Probably so when you read it from the back it still says “HOH HOH” rather than “OH OH”.

Never would have thought of that…I think you’re right.

40. lostalaska says:

Maybe I’m just having a rough morning, but I’m gonna have to say that Hoh, Hoh is pants on head retarded and that stack of soda is tall enough that it should be deeper than a single box for stability meaning that hoh hoh isn’t seen from both sides so they could have gotten away with ho ho.

I’m gonna go out on a limb here and say to the Ho, Ho might be offense crowd to please go back to burying your head in sand to protect yourselves from anything that you can twist into being offensive like people named Dick.

41. Parting says:

@scampy: Since when ”Ho, Ho, Ho” became a problem ?

That’s not a problem. That’s ”you have too much time on your hands” thing.

The problem in this picture is Dasani boxes, which is basically tap water, sold 1$/bottle. That’s real ripoff.

42. UpsetPanda says:

I still don’t think that water should emit a hissing noise when you open the bottle, as if it had carbonation…

43. Murdermonkey says:

@Televiper:

HOLY hell youre brilliant and so is the guy who realised it would say OH OH from the other side.

44. Vainglory says:

A smiley, huh. Might I suggest:

45. Vainglory says:

Or that is being blocked.
    [img441.imageshack.us]

46. Comeaja says:

Eeew gross. Coke products.