Watch Out For Mysterious $8.95 Charge To Your Account

A reader writes in that he noticed an unusual charge for $8.95 on his bank card recently. He looked up the number connected to the charge—866-305-8808—at the website 800notes.com and found that it belongs to some company called Eureka or EurekaInfo.net, and that there are others who have discovered the same unauthorized charge in recent days.

A WHOIS search for EurekaInfo.net turns up a generic registration for Hostgator in Houston, Texas. The website is a plain-looking business site for a company that seems to sell database marketing services, located at 411 Theodore Fremd Ave, Rye, New York 10580. That address is just a generic office building. We called the 866 number and got a simple “Leave a message or press a button to fax” recording (click here to download a 324kb wav recording of the call—but we warn you, it’s very boring.)

We have no idea if Eureka is involved in the scam or also a victim of it, but be sure to check your statements—these charges are popping up right now, and some of the people posting to 800notes.com just noticed them today.

(Thanks to Paul!)

RELATED
Results for the phone number at 800notes.com
EurekaInfo.net
reported address for EurekaInfo.net

Comments

1. Munsoned says:

Is there a name associated with the charge on your card? I had one like this a few months ago–no idea if it was connected to that same telephone number. Called the credit card company, they gave me the number associated with the charge. When I called, some guy named “Mike” (with a serious NY or Boston accent–I couldn’t tell which) picked up. When I asked him who he was and whether he had charged my credit card, he got VERY silent for a minute, then coughed, then hung up on me. Clearly it was some sort of scam–I called the credit card company back, and had a new card/account issued immediately and they reversed the charge. I’ll have to go back to my statements to see if I can find the name used–it was something like “Credit Services” or “Credit Security” or something like that…

2. tamaudio says:

Is there a business that you interact with that would cause someone to become a victim? Who should be checking statements, people who purchase from specific places?

3. amoeba says:

I was talking with my brother the other day and he told me about an irregular charge from a host or domain for the humble amount od $30 some dollars. He used to have a website, and he canceled the subscription, after 3 months of use. Anyway, he banks with WAMU (like myself), reported the “unauthorized charge” and he mention me that it took him almost 2 wks to have his money back, since the telephone number from eurekainfo.net wasn’t working and the people from WAMU weren’t very helpful. As far as I know, he got a new debit card, and he hasn’t signed up with any server. We still can’t figure out what their business are of what they do. Thanks Waltes for posting it, I will send this story to my brother.

4. UpsetPanda says:

Is this only bank cards or credit cards? Cause it looks like ErnieMcCracken had problems with a credit card, but the OP specifies bank card. I definitely keep track of all of my information, so I’m hoping this won’t happen to me.

I want to know how these scammers are getting the card information in the first place.

5. balthisar says:

@CaffeinatedSquint: “bank card” means credit card. In the modern sense, some people falsely equate them as being only your account access (i.e., ATM/debit) card, but credit cards have been “bank cards” for long before ATM/debit cards even existed.

6. lhm says:

I had a couple of unauthorized charges on my credit card. The company in question was rather nice and told me when they were made, and with that info, I realized it couldn’t have been me.

I have a nice credit union, and spoke with a representative there. She sighed and said that a few bogus charges, usually for small amounts, were how identity thieves often ‘tested’ credit cards. They’d make a small charge or two, wait, then make a larger one. If nothing happens, they take that as a green light.

7. timmus says:

As a merchant, I can give you some ideas:

- Merchants who are collecting data and storing them improperly on laptops infected by bots & servers with exploits, which transmit the numbers to CC thieves

- Small-time Internet storefronts, like gaming & pharmacy stores based in Asia, ringing up your sale then using your card number for other purposes

- Minimum wage retail/restaurant people nabbing your

- Negligence by Visa/Mastercard/banks in working with merchants to act against accounts that are being tested (I can tell you this firsthand)

I have yet to have any of my cards compromised, and the one problem I’ve had was actually with my BofA bank account which was compromised by someone having only the ABA routing & transit — a vulnerability which should never, ever exist.

8. tadowguy says:

If you guys will give me your CC numbers, expiration dates, and security codes, I can check them all for you.

9. UpsetPanda says:

@balthisar: I wonder if that’s a geographical thing, sort of like soda vs. pop vs. coke and what people say depending on their region. My fiancee says coke for every soft drink – he’s from the south – I say soda, I’m firmly entrenched in the “north” as I’m from Northern Virginia, and N.Va. is definitely not the south, despite being in a southern state.

10. Hoss says:

Hello, TJX???? Now you see what we’re talkin bout?

11. parad0x360 says:

Target stores credit card numbers, exp dates and the names of who they belong to in plain text files on the in store server. Any PC (aside from kiosks) hooked up to the store network can access this information and copy it down.

Not saying this scam is coming from Target or anything but..thats one way they could get info. Im sure target isnt the only company lax on its cc security.

12. ogman says:

I think we’re going to see a lot of this kind of thing. I mean, after all, hasn’t everyone’s personal information been lost or stolen by now?!

13. trollkiller says:

Looks like Eureka is also a victim. [eurekainfo.net] As you can tell by the order page, access to thier database is $8.95 a month. I will bet what has happened is someone has a bunch of stolen credit cards and is using Eureka’s database to ferret out the billing addresses of the credit card holders. It looks like they are using Eureka to test the credit card too. Once armed with your billing address they can order online.

If you get a charge from Eureka I would cancel the card before the crooks can use it for something bigger than $8.95

14. econobiker says:

Doesn’t this also seem like the e-books websites scam charges?