Friday Consumerist Flickr Pool Finds

Gosh, you guys take some nice pictures! Here are five choice photos from the Consumerist Flickr Pool this week. That’s a place where Consumerist readers go and upload photos for possible use in future Consumerist posts. Just be a registered Flickr user, go here, and click “Join Group?” up on the top right, and start hitting “send to group” on your individual photos you want to add to the pool.

(Photo: Compromised Exposure)

macystar.jpg

(Photo: Scarequotes)

statetrooper.jpg

(Photo: The Joy Of The Mundane)
dinosaurdigital.jpg

(Photo: wink_dinkerson)

alleycarts.jpg
(Photo: tmq666)

Add your shots to The Consumerist Flickr pool, and perhaps they’ll get featured in a future post, or even highlighted in a Friday Flickr Pool Find post.

Comments

1. UpsetPanda says:

The second photo is my favorite :) The last photo reminds me of legos.

2. ConsumptionJunkie says:

Salvation Army bell ringers…SO ANNOYING!!!!!

3. bohemian says:

Glad I am not the only person who finds bell ringers extremely annoying.

4. wesa says:

*shakes fist at Squarequotes* That was almost my photo! :)

5. scarequotes says:

@wesa: Hey, yours is really good, too!

6. vanillabean says:

I love the bell ringers. Salvation Army is really a great organization. They try to give everyone a meal and every child a toy at Christmas. I was listening to our local Captain (Sargeant?) talk about how there was a shortage of bell ringers this year. I think the people that stand out there in the cold are amazing.

7. Blech, the Salvation Army is so religious their bell handles should be little crosses. And they’re really, really anti-gay to boot. I don’t see why anyone who isn’t an evangelical, culturally conservative Christian would give them any money. I’ll give my donations to organizations that truly attempt to support all the people of the world, thanks.

This isn’t an attack on the bell-ringers, obviously.

8. superborty says:

@ Chris Walters Oh, how horrible. The Salvation Army is a religious organization…. They are SO picky in who they give their money to… Make all the homeless swear to find God… I suspect from your comment you don’t give a whole lot of money to anyone, you scrooge.

9. forgottenpassword says:

@superborty:

I am a scrooge as well. I dont like the bellringers who set up shop in the doorway of a store I have to walk by just like I dont like the charity solicitor that walks up to my car window while I am held captive at a traffic light or that knocks on my front door begging for money, or the girlscouts (or some school-fundraisers ) making a sales pitch when all I want to do is walk into a store.

Maybe I am an evil person, but I dont like being guilt-tripped into giving money. That is how i percieve a lot of these people (well… the more aggressive ones that take up shop right directly infront of the store’s entrance…. the ones more or less way off to the sides… I dont mind as much).

10. Me - now with more humidity says:

Salvation Army gets my money every time I walk by a bellringer. My mother played in an SA band back in the 1930s. They do a lot of good– check their record against the Red Cross. SA rules more often than not. They don’t deserve your hatin’.

11. Me - now with more humidity says:

forgotten: SA doesn’t make a sales pitch. The kettle is there — you give or you don’t. Anything else is your own guilt for dissing them.

12. forgottenpassword says:

@Me:

correct they dont make a sales pitch (I didnt say they did), however they DO often plant their bucket & themselves smack-DAB in the middle of a store’s entrance…. making it to where you HAVE to walk past them. If they were off to the side & I didnt have to dodge them while trying to enter a store…. then I would have very little problem with the whole thing. Besides… I use a credit card & dont use or carry cash (other than an emergency twenty) so it gets a bit awkward having to pass the red-bucket-bell-ringing gauntlet they set up.

13. Adien says:

@Chris Walters: I work for an Agency in a partnership with the SA. They do some amazing stuff that most people do not know about. For example: They run multiple homeless shelters, drug rehab facilities for people who cannot afford it, provide free clothing for people in need, job skills training, a food pantry, and many many more. They may be religious but the clients who are referred to me are very surprised to hear it. The SA appears to not advertise their religious affiliation with the people they serve. The SA picks up a lot of the slack that most Government benefit avenues cannot/will not provide.

14. UpsetPanda says:

They position one bell ringer at the entrance or exit. Unless you go out the entrance or go in through the exit, you’re going to go past one. where else would they put a bellringer? The point is to be near people.

15. elangomatt says:

@CaffeinatedSquint: I think forgottenpassword is referring to the SA bell ringers that are on the verge of blocking entrances or exits. Many of the bell ringers I have gone by this holiday season have been about 10 feet away from the door so they weren’t blocking traffic, but I had trouble jamming a piece of paper money in it was so full. One store though, the bellringer was within about 2 feet of the door to the store, and they were causing a traffic jam getting out. I sat in my car for a minute a couple of times watch. The bellringer 10 feet from the door was actually getting more donatations than the one closer to the door.

16. ConsumptionJunkie says:

@Adien: The SA is a church. From a SA document:

Without limiting the foregoing, by accepting employment with The Salvation Army, an individual acknowledges that The Salvation Army is a church, agrees to do nothing to undermine its religious mission, and acknowledges that conduct must not conflict with or undermine the religious programs of The Salvation Army, or its religious and moral purposes.”

Thus the church is free to discriminate against gays, women, and minorities.

17. notlazyjustdontcare says:

The last thing poor people need is Jesus Christ. I give my extra stuff to Goodwill, which gives them jobs instead of Jesus.

Oh yeah this is a post about photos. I love the one with the crates. I feel like they’re trying to spell out a message.

18. superborty says:

@ NOTLAZYJUSTDONTCARE I don’t think everyone agrees with your statement here!

@ FORGOTTEN PASSWORD I actually agree with you on the bell ringers. I think the organization is a very good one, but the ringers can get a bit irritating. How much are they paid, if anything? Does anyone know? I really dislike the ones that barely ring and talk on their cellphone or listen to their MP3 players… I prefer to hit my charities with a check every December…

19. vanillabean says:

@Adien: When my mom worked in for a state psychiatric people, SA was the only organization that helped give people what they really needed upon release, stuff like toothbrushes, shaving kits and and clothes. They are always helping people after fires have destroyed their homes, running shelters, giving food and children’s gifts to the very poor at Christmas. The people who work for them make practically nothing. I don’t know of any other organization like it.

I think they object to having to pay for gay spousal benefits but they do hire gay people. They don’t discriminate among those they help. You may object to Christian morality (I certainly do a lot) but this is one that lives the basic Jesus teaching of helping the poor.

Superbooty, I believe bell ringers are volunteer.

20. karmaghost says:

I really like the picture with the dinosaur. The poor quality makes it looks like a on-the-fly photo of bigfoot or the loc ness monster.

21. hotrodmetal says:

The government asks/requires money every time you spend money. The Salvation Army asks for support at Christmas time.

It is up to you to decide to give, or not. Most people give based on generousity, not guilt.

If you don’t care for the religion that offered to people by Salvation Army that is fine, but do not profess tolerance if you don’t practice it when you don’t like others religious views.

@forgottenpassword:

22. TheMenace says:

VANILLABEAN, I have to call shenanigans on you there. You said “They don’t discriminate among those they help. ” which is a lie. Salvation shelters deny beds to gay friends/couples and transgendered singles. While they do a fair bit of good work for people who fit their parameters, I will not support a group that does discriminate against the hardest done by group that seeks help (homeless transsexuals / transgendereds).

23. guymandude says:

@vanillabean: Uh… the salvation army uses the donations people like you give them to lobby congress *against* stem cell research. Well done.

24. GF_AdventureGrl says:

doesn’t that one picture of the dinosaur remind you of the pee wee herman movie?

25. vanillabean says:

@TheMenace: lols @ shenanigans! I haven’t heard that word in a long time. ;-) If they do actually not allow transgenders in shelters (it seems to be more of an allegation than anything specific) I’d be surprised, it might be something new but it doesn’t seem to be an official policy or part of their mission.

My point here seems to be unclear, even though I disagree with their politics I have never seen another group committed to helping so many people. I guess I see the world in shades of gray, rather than black and white as so many seem to.

@THEMENACE: you seriously think lobbying has anything to do with stem cell research? Do you think I could donate a billion dollars to lobby FOR stem cell research under this administration and succeed?