Comcast Installers Save 2 From Burning Building

Comcast gets a lot of knocks around here but you gotta give a thumbs up to these three Comcast installers who saved two people from a burning building building in Chicago. The contractors were on their way to install when they saw flames coming from a building with a pharmacy downstairs and residences upstairs. They turned around, got a ladder off their truck, and started banging on the windows. “If it weren’t for the cable workers, I’d probably be burnt up,” said one of the tenants. The fire department says the fire was started by a thrown Moltov cocktail, but perhaps they should also check if any FiOs trucks were in the nearby vicinity.

Cable TV installers save 2 from burning building [Chicago Tribune] (Thanks to Dan!)

Comments

Edit Your Comment

  1. coan_net says:

    Wonder if Comcast will fire the employees for using their ladders inappropriately for non-job related activities?

  2. Copper says:

    I’m glad Comcast has hired at least two people who didn’t spawn from Satan.

  3. warf0x0r says:

    I was gonna say if there wasn’t an FiOS reference it should be comming soon.

  4. AstroPig7 says:

    A Comcast employee who had the correct equipment for a job? I“m as shocked by that as I am glad that they were able to help.

  5. Greasy Thumb Guzik says:

    There’s no FIOS in Chicago, AT&T’s U-Verse is a-coming.

  6. clank-o-tron says:

    The depressing part is that somewhere, someone is probably complaining because their cable never got set up.

  7. Chongo says:

    I wonder how many fires they missed do to people missing the confirmation Moltav Cocktail.

  8. forgottenpassword says:

    When i saw the title i was expecting that comcast somehow CAUSED the fire during an installation.

    Good to see they saved some people from a fire…. now if they can just show up on time to install cable!

  9. IphtashuFitz says:

    @forgottenpassword: That was my first thought as well when I saw that picture and a headline that had the words “Comcast” and “burning” in it. Props to those installers!

  10. tadowguy says:

    Next week in the Consumerist:

    Fred from Chicago writes in to say, “I had two Comcast installers in my house last week and we still don’t have cable.”

  11. molotov cocktail? what is this–saigon??

  12. alhypo says:

    It should be noted that this does not reflect well upon Comcast. It just so happens they are forced to hire human beings to work for them. If they could buy robots capable of cable installation, they would be more than happy to let their equipment stand by indifferently while those folks burned.

  13. b612markt says:

    “The fire department says the fire was started by a thrown Moltov cocktail, but perhaps they should also check if any FiOs trucks were in the nearby vicinity.”

    Totally uncalled for.

  14. Kloud says:

    @b612markt: Get over yourself.
    If he hadn’t have said it, several others would have in the comments.

  15. captnkurt says:

    It was the least they could do, as they were already in the apartment taking a nap on the customers’ couch.

  16. coren says:

    @b612markt: Yeah, Consumerist. HOW DARE YOU! How dare you have a sense of humor!

  17. algormortis says:

    i have the sneaking suspicion that these guys, class acts all for heroism, are probably in the 10-15% of Comcast employees who are competent and effective.

    the other 85-90% would probably have kept on driving.

    so from one install tech to another, good work, guys. i certainly hope your company appreciates you.

  18. KJones says:

    @coan_net: Wonder if Comcast will fire the employees for using their ladders inappropriately for non-job related activities?

    During the Hurricane Bush – I mean, Katrina – disaster, military helicopter pilots were told not to rescue stranded people. One did and he was reprimanded for it; saving people’s lives cost him his career.

    It wouldn’t surprise me if the two get a reprimand or are docked wages. We are talking about Con-Cash, you know.

  19. radioshacklover says:

    believe it or not (coming from Chicago) molotov cocktail caused fires are actually quite common as a source of arson related fires…

    If you haven’t tried a Molotov cocktail, let me tell you, stay away…its mostly gasoline.

  20. Rachacha says:

    “They turned around, got a ladder off their truck, and started banging on the windows.”
    One of the Comcast contractors was heard yelling “Lady, your house is on fire, grab your cable box or we will have to charge you $300 for a replacement” Oh wait, that was ATT [consumerist.com]

  21. Nighthawke says:

    Molotov cocktails, how very Russian. One question comes to mind is did comcast or the contractor stage the whole deal to get ANY kind of good publicity? That’s grasping at other people’s straws I know, but if you are that deep in the hole like they are, you’d be desperate to do anything to get out.

    But! I’m glad to see that no one was hurt or killed in the incident for that would have been a Major Disaster.

  22. PølάrβǽЯ says:

    @b612markt: “Totally uncalled for.”

    This is the Consumerist. Making fun of companies is what we do here. Don’t like it? Go somewhere else.

  23. smitty1123 says:

    @b612markt: Clearly you don’t know about the AT&T/Direct TV payola that keeps the Consumerist knee deep in whores and blow…

  24. econobiker says:

    I am surprised that Comcast hasn’t fired the employees yet.

  25. LeJerque says:

    @tadowguy:
    You win, sir.

  26. Murdermonkey says:

    “Though when polled about comcasts customer service they say all things considered its still only average.”