Meet Citi’s new CEO, Vikram Pandit! He replaces recently resigned-in-shame ex-CEO Charlie Prince III.

Will Pundit sell off Citi’s assets or merge with a stronger bank? Who knows?
[BusinessWeek]

Comments

1. homerjay says:

His real name is Vikram, but when he worked in the call center, he was known as Jeff.

2. darkened says:

While I haven’t been with Citibank long they are by far the most pleasant bank i’ve ever been a member of. Even with no local branches the ATMs in all my 7-11s and the ease of use with the online system I’ve been made very happy with them. I hope he does Citi good!

3. SaveMeJeebus says:

@homerjay: I didn’t want to touch the whole Indian customer service thing since he was all Indian and stuff, but since you did, let’s open up the floodgates!

4. homerjay says:

@SaveMeJeebus: I figgered that I’ve been here long enough to gain tenure. Flame on! :)

5. JustAGuy2 says:

@homerjay:

Given that he moved to the US 34 years ago, is a triple alum from Columbia, and has a notable Southern accent (I have no idea why), he’s not exactly call center material.

6. jaydez says:

I work for Citi and my manager wrote his name on the white board yesterday (because she had no idea how to pronounce it). I was sitting in a meeting today and all I could think of was Smokey and the Pandit… He didn’t look right in my mind driving a TransAM.

7. shoegazer says:

@homerjay: Heh, he’s definitely moved up in the world.

8. KJones says:

A few years ago, Hewlett-Packard put in a woman CEO, the first at a major company. Within three years, the company had flagging sales and the snooping scandal (tapped phone calls). Regardless of whether she was at fault, she took all the blame.

Cue 2007 and the loan management problem banks are having by overextending themselves. The newly named CEO of Citibank is a man of Indian descent.

You don’t think it’s possible that white guys put a non-white in a situation where he can’t succeed no matter what he does? That they’d put a non-white in to take the blame after the loans go tits up and then say, “See, only white men can run a bank or be CEO, not women or dark skinned people…”?

No, they wouldn’t do a thing like that, would they? If it happens, I won’t be the least bit surprised.