Comcast Solves Problems For ComcastMustDie Readers

Want to get your Comcast issue resolved? Post it and your account number over ComcastMustDie.com. The guy who started the blog, journalist Bob Garfield, was interviewed on NPR’s On The Media yesterday and he said that everyone who has done so has gotten a followup call from Comcast to look into their problem. If you look at the people who commented on the post, “Has Comcast Gotten Back to You?” you’ll see a number several people saying the executive office reached out to them (Some people initially say Comcast didn’t respond, but then a few days later write again to say that Comcast had). So, if you’ve got an unresolved Comcast issue, it can’t hurt to give posting it and your account number over at ComcastMustDie a try.

ComcastMustDie [Official Site]
(Photo: cmorran123)

Comments

1. Amy Alkon says:

What Comcast execs should be asking themselves: Why isn’t it just the normal course of business for Comcast’s regular employees to resolve idiocies?

When Garfield, a reasonable guy I’ve read for years has to start a site like that to get a customer service issue resolved, well, it says a lot about the company.

Hey, Comcast, I live about a mile from the beach in southern California, which means the lines get degraded by the salt air. Every year, about once a year, my cable goes out, because, instead of just regularly maintaining the lines, you wait until the people around here lose their cable for a few days to replace them. Nice!

I’m with Bob.

If only Comcast didn’t have a monopoly on cable in my area, I’d be with ANYBODY else.

2. IphtashuFitz says:

Pretty pathetic of a huge corporation like Comcast if they basically ignore their customers until they post to a site called ComcastMustDie. Why can’t Comcast be proactive enough when dealing with customer problems to avoid driving them to such extreme measures?

3. darkened says:

I don’t know if I’m a minority but I have used comcast for a very growing number of years now even when they were comcast excite@home but I’ve never had any problems with comcast. I had 2 modems die within weeks and they replaced them within days or next day, then the next last for years until i moved away for college. Now I’m back with them again with their upgraded service for 8mbps/784kbps with power boost that gives me 16mbps/1.5mbps burstable speed. I’ve always used an obscene amount of data transfer usage that if it was truly paid by meter at a modest 0.25 per gb I easily spent 3-4x my monthly service.

Obviously bandwidth sold at comcast’s level isn’t sold metered like renting a dedicated server or paying for a dedicated business connection but I have always got tons of service from them. Their phone support is lack luster and sluggish at best but in my area when i needed personal support sent out they were always there within 3 business days or less. Most likely 50% of the few times they were there next business day.

4. starrion says:

I’ve previously posted some of the positive experiences I’ve had with Comcast. The fact that they are working to fix stuff by reading hostile blogs indicates that they want to do something about their toxic reputation.

Imagine if United had tried to fix some of the issues they saw cropping up at untied.com.

5. ancientsociety says:

IMO, I don’t think this is a good thing. Mostly because it’s not proactive of Comcast. They aren’t doing anything to improve customer service from the get go. Instead, they wait until someone posts on that sight and then suddenly they fix the problem. It’s damage control. They don’t want their business to look bad to their consumer base. This is the illusion of customer service and reliability without having to do the work that requires it on a regular basis.

6. Buran says:

@IphtashuFitz: Agreed. I left an insurance agency that waited until AFTER I’d gotten a better rate/policy from a competitor before offering a better rate. Being reactionary doesn’t keep customers. Being proactive does.

7. Buran says:

@starrion: Alas, I fear the modern definition of “airline” is “company that doesn’t give a shit about its customers and thinks they’re walking threats with money”. Only airlines manage to get the jackbooted goosesteppers at the government to ARREST you if you dare complain about their piss-poor service.

8. scoosdad says:

I’m the one who posted the complaint on Comcast Must Die titled “Don’t Be a Comcast Customer and Die”.

Their initial response to my post was completely unacceptable (but was completely in-character for Comcast). I had to go back on Comcast Must Die and post another complaint about their proposed settlement and threaten small claims court, and only after that did someone call me and offer to fix my problem.

Why oh why do we have to do this in the first place?

I also wonder about the comment attributed to Bob Garfield saying, “everyone who has done so has gotten a followup call from Comcast to look into their problem”. How does he know that for a fact? He has no way of tracking that. A fair majority of the people who post there don’t even provide any way for Comcast to look into their complaint (an account number, for example, which is the key).

9. marsneedsrabbits says:

Comcast is committed to doing the absolute bare minimum to maintain their customer base, which is vastly different than being committed to doing the right thing.

If this is what it takes to get service from Comcast, then they really aren’t customer service oriented. They are “squelch the worst of the bad publicity” oriented.

They lost our household as customers when they lied to us, wasted our time and money, and refused to fix simple problems. We will have “nothing” before we ever have Comcast again.

10. patti_in_md says:

I have had nothing but problems with Comcast for years! I don’t understand why there STILL is no competition in most places. They can do whatever they want, because if I want anything faster than dial-up Internet, I HAVE to use them! DSL and FiOS are not available where I live. Comcast must die!

11. FLConsumer says:

@starrion: The only reason they wish to “fix their toxic reputation” is that they stand to lose their monopoly if too many people are upset. If too many people complain to the city, the city will turn around and fine Comcast and possibly force them out of the market. It has happened before.

12. DamienComcast says:

Disclaimer: I am a Comcast Employee.

I’d like you all to know that Comcast is indeed working to fix its customer service reputation. This isn’t something we can do over night, and we are taking steps such as following The Consumerist, DSL Reports, Slashdot, Arstechnica, ComcastMustDie, usenet groups, etc, to find issues that customers have, take the steps to solve that customers problem, and then do what we need to internally to fix that problem.

I would agree with all of you when you say that this is a reactive measure to remedy a customer problem when they post to a site like ComcastMustDie. I would also agree with you to state that we need to prevent customers from getting to that point in the first place.

I will be monitoring the Consumerist, and the sites listed above, and a more Comcast Employees will be doing the same in the near future, and for the foreseeable future.

We’ve been working to improve, but we also know that we’re a long way away from where we would like to be, and we’re working towards that goal.

13. bosshogg says:

I have a problem with my internet speed. I am paying for 8 meg which I am getting but in my area they offer power boost that gets speeds up to 12 – 14 megs..
    I am a IT GUY and I ran tests on new Comcast customers an found that they are getting is new service..they are paying $33 a month and getting 12 – 14 megs, I am paying $65 and only getting the 8 that I am paying for.. it is not fair. I tried support and 2 out of 5 tech people said that I did not have the power boost and said that it was because I had adelphia before comcast took it over..So I did speed tests on everyone that was a prior Adelphia customer and the result was the same as mine. They did not have power boost. Local office says that we should already have it but I know for a fact we don’t.. I am in Martinsville VA and Comcast needs to find a way to help me!!!

14. dohtem says:

@DamienComcast: You are not a comcast employee? What are you then, a paid shill?

15. dohtem says:

Ah, in my blind rage I read that wrong.

Well fuck it.

16. DamienComcast says:

@dohtem: I am not a “paid shill” and I am a Comcast Employee, as stated in the disclaimer above my post.