The Six Sins of “Greenwashing,” how companies try to fool customers into thinking they’re more environmentally responsible than they really are. [TerraChoice]

Comments

1. UpsetPanda says:

What this list is saying to me is that a lot of companies are using the green bandwagon to sell their products without actually being green. But what I also see is a lot of grassroots-type companies masking themselves as being green when they just want to make a buck off the organic bandwagon. Companies like Burts Bees are actually owned by larger corporations, when they seem to be very mom and pop. But to say that companies make claims and don’t back them up…a lot of them don’t, just be savvy when you buy items and don’t buy them just because they claim they are organic. Buy it because it actually works, but not because you think organic shampoo is going to help you and the environment.

2. ohnoes says:

“Not tested on animals” really means “not tested on animals in the last five years.” If it isn’t tested on animals it doesn’t get approved in the U.S. I would rather have tarted-up bunnies (and I know that this is minimizing the issue) then have a bunch of consumers go blind from bad mascara (happened in the twenties) because of a misconception that animals have equal rights to humans.

3. UpsetPanda says:

@ohnoes: I don’t like animal testing, but I see the reasoning behidn it. Like you, I’d rather have products be safe for humans, even if it as the expense of lab animals. That said, I have a rabbit for a pet and I do feel a little tinge of guilt whenever I have to give him medicine. No wonder he’s so fat and spoiled.

4. FishingCrue says:

The green movement has jumped the shark.

5. SacraBos says:

My company does computer software, and we’re green. We use 100% recycled electrons.

6. Trai_Dep says:

I’m fine with 5-year-old tests based on blinded bunnies. What I don’t get is, since we’ve already done the Watership Down Bunny Apocalypse, why do we need to torture and blind this generation’s worth of cute, fuzzy bunnies.

Despite what the ads say, there really isn’t THAT much that’s new under the sun. Minimizing testing is a happy medium.