Sergeants SentryPro XFC flea treatment gives pets Pyrethrin Toxicity, causing them to vomit and not be able to walk, and in one case, a dog died. Petco still has the stuff on its shelves. [Gibberish Is My Native Language]

Comments

Edit Your Comment

  1. timmus says:

    This does not surprise me. There was an uproar about Hartz flea collar toxicity back in the 1990s, and nothing of any significance was ever done.

  2. Consumer-X says:

    I used some flea drops on my cat that caused him to foam at the mouth. They were applied by putting a few drops on her neck. Scary stuff.

  3. DrFaulken says:

    Thanks for posting this — it’s been sad approving comments held in moderation for this story. I used to be excited that people were commenting on my articles. Now I dread getting an email notification associated with this story.

    For those of you who don’t want to read through all the comments, there have been a few cases of larger dogs suffering these side effects, but most of them (including one of my dogs and the posted fatality) are dogs that are in the lowest weight bracket. Our pet theory is that the dosage range is off/too varied for the smaller dogs, and is causing an overdose, even when the product is used as directed.

    Thanks to the Consumerist for helping to get the word out.