Keep A Police-Accessible Record Of Your Serial Numbers With JustStolen

JustStolen offers a free online database where you can store information about your personal property—”Any descriptive information can be entered into the database including make, model, color, serial number and any thing else you can think of. You can even upload photographs of your items.” The company makes its data available for free to police departments everywhere, so they can locate the owners of recovered items by (for example) typing in a serial number. It’s based in Boston but, since it’s an Internet company, it can be used by consumers and police departments no matter where they’re located.

The company also runs “iSold it,” an auction service that works with police departments to liquidate unclaimed personal property; we’re guessing that’s the “???” step that comes before “3. Profit!”

Just Stolen.net [via Metafilter]

RELATED
“Brookline cop works to reunite theft victims and their property” [Wicked Local]

Comments

1. spartan789 says:

this is a great idea. Hopefully it’ll actually be used.

2. Alexander says:

That is a very neat website! I’m in the process of getting renter’s insurance so I’m sure this website will come in handy.

3. MyCokesBiggerThanYours says:

Centralized information accessible to the police and government just sounds like a bad idea.

4. DallasDMD says:

@MyCokesBiggerThanYours: Then don’t enter in your information and don’t whine when the police have nothing to go on when you have stolen goods reported.

5. Shadowfire says:

@DallasDMD: Absolutely. Don’t worry though… when he’s robbed, they thieves probably won’t take his tinfoil hat. =D

6. Parting says:

@MyCokesBiggerThanYours: Ahh, what if the government knows what color my digital camera is, and it’s serial? Maybe they will control it from distance…

Seriosly, if it helps retrace stolen items, I’m all for it. Government does not care for what crap you own. (Well unless IRS is after you;)

7. HOP says:

not a good idea….i’ll keep my own records with family members….what i own is my business,at least until someone else tries to own it……

8. Frapp says:

This does look like a good idea. The only problem I would have is the potential rogue officer with access to this data (Contact Info + What I own) deciding he want’s my Wii or laptop.

9. Die_Fledermaus says:

Great a shopping list for corrupt police!

List is a great idea, but why have it on a database BEFORE it is stolen. Why not keep the list privately, then post only after your goods are gone?

if you post the list before: you get more intrusive marketing as the site sells info on what you own. (How else will they make money?) And increased risk as people now know what you possess for No benefit.

10. barfoo says:

@Die_Fledermaus: One possible objections to that plan: having posted your info before the item was stolen may be evidence that the item was in your possession beforehand, otherwise there could be a suspicion that you were somehow in on a scam or were the thief. Of course if you have receipts, etc. you have other evidence.

11. Trick says:

What do to?

Give big government access to what I own

-OR-

Provide a little info so there may be a chance on getting back anything stolen from?

What should I do?

On one hand, I am one of 230,000,000 people in this country. Am I really that arrogant to think that some gubmn’t bonehead is paying attention to my very existence?

Or do I really think that the iPod that was stolen at the beach has a chance on being recovered, ever?

Gotta think about this one!

Great idea… probably not going to do much in the long run. That is unless you are one who gets his/her stuff back!

12. Egakino says:

……. Isn’t this why people have a fire proof lockbox? That’s kinda were I put important documents, and info. If you are going to go through this much trouble why not just print it out and keep it yourself instead of having a place were the data can leak.

I mean nooooo onnnne has had info that was supposed to be extremely private, kept by a secure source leaked by accident before.

13. iamme99 says:

Your safe deposit box, friends/family members or even your insurance company rep can hold such a list for you.

No dB is really secure these days. Such a list, if it were hacked, might provide good info for what homes for thieves to target.

14. good…maybe until wut I haz on file matchz what the criminial haz in his handz

overloaded with [www.icanhascheezburger.com]

damn that was a pain to link

cats are a clusterfuck of funniness, especially when you don’t own any;

OTHERWISE-keep an eye on your shit people (or have a webcam do it for you when you’re not home)

15. @discounteggroll:
    and yeah I’m self-linking myself;

keeping a serial number ALONG with a model number/description is definitely a great idea!

16. real estate FTW (and I represent nobody believe it or not…

to the general public…backup to as many places as possible (secure, if possible). The more, the merrier [Holidays play a nightmare in the IT/Computer community). It’s a reality that word of mouth (from experience) that families LOVE the support of those who come prior experience and new appointments have the best results. Give friends and families a call. You won’t be disappointed.

17. Beerad says:

I second the posters who are wary of doing this. It just seems a bit risky to input all sorts of private information about your most valuable goods on teh interwebs, and it only takes one hacker/corrupt cop to cause all your data to be compromised.

What’s up with all the haters mocking “conspiracy theorists” about this? Hardly a day goes by on Consumerist without a story about how all sorts of sensitive electronic information got stolen, “misplaced”, or simply abused by a big company.

Just create the list yourself, make some backup copies, and keep it in a secure place. If you have insurance coverage, your insurer probably already requires some sort of verification of the covered assets in the first place.